SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Should I buy a used M&P Shield?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should I buy a used M&P Shield? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
A friend at work offered his Shield .40 (this one). I'm tempted.

The facts:
* I've been wanting one for a while, though I'd be tempted to buy it in 9mm if I were buying new.

* I've had two XDs models (.45 and 9mm), and though I liked them, they carry well, and I could shoot them well, I really disliked the cheese-grater grips.

* Everything I read about the Shield seems favorable.

* I'm still waiting for my LGS to get my P365.

* This particular Shield has maybe 200 rounds through it, at most.

- - -

This past week, my friend offered it again, and I believe I can get it for a very reasonable price. Not quite "impulse-purchase" low, of course, but I could probably roll up the change in the Mason jar and cover most of it.

- - -

Having aired all that out: who's got one and loves it? Who's got one (or had one) and doesn't (didn't) love it?

What are the SF opinions?

Thanks, all.

God bless America.

Posts: 13494 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
I’m just going to leave this here: https://georgiagunstore.com/s-...w-3-1-blk-6-7rd.html

Almost no need to buy used unless he’s giving it away.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
Like he said, unless it was a fire sale or had plenty of mags thrown in extra there's no reason to buy used.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 2.0 has a much better trigger, and a worthwhile trigger stop. The grip texture might be too rough if you think the XDS is a cheese grater though. I got one in an EDC kit with knife and light and built in laser for $360. That deal is not just local to me.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends on what hes selling it for. If its a good deal then go for it. You can always get a 9 conversion barrel. I had a Shield 40 and it was a great BUG.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both the Shield and 365. I like the Shield, but I like the 365 so much that the Shield will likely be sold off.

P220 (.45)
P225
P226 (9mm)
P228
P229 (.40)
P365
P6
SP2022 (9mm & .40)

"...it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it." - Clarence Worley in True Romance

Posts: 375 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Had one in .40 and hated it. I picked it up for $175 with 3 mags and a holster. Sold it a week later for $200

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Mrs. slosig likes hers in 9. I doubt she’d like it in .40S&W. I’ve heard one person say he liked his in .40 and several say they didn’t. If you want a 9mm, I’d buy a 9mm.

YMMV, void where prohibited, other disclaimers may apply.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thank, all, for the replies.

Wow, Spiff, that price is probably better than what I can buy this one for.

A conversion barrel is not a bad plan, though I guess by the time I buy that and the original gun, I'm not really saving money.

I'm tempted to buy this while I wait for my P365, hoping I'll like the P365 better, in which case the Shield would get sold again.

For sigarms229 and Mrs slosig: why did/would you not like the .40? Another of my friends said she liked the 9 but not the .40, but didn't elaborate.

After thinking for a bit on the responses so far, I'm about to talk myself out of this purchase, wondering if I'm better off just to wait for my P365 to arrive.

God bless America.

Posts: 13494 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Just wait the 40 Shield is a lotta “meh”.

Ive shot a relatives and its just too snappy in the package as a 40. I mean its useable but i just didnt lime it much. I’m sure a 2.0 in 9MM is noce.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Since you already liked a lot about the XDS, except for the "grenade" grip texture, why not try the XDs Mod 2? It has a great feeling grip now.

And it is a nicer pistol than any shield. And what you will save by not having to buy a bunch of Apex parts to give the shield everything the factory couldn't be bothered to, can be used to buy ammo. Smile

Good luck with your decision! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
XDs Mod 2

Okay, after a quick look, that's mighty tempting! Tell me more. Do you have one? Any specific likes/dislikes?

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
I bought a used Shield 9mm a few months back from my dealer for under $240.00 out the door and it came with x2 magazines and it did not have the thumb safety. I had a Shield when they first came out and it had the thumb safety which I thought I would like. Well after trying to manipulate it when I took it to the range, it was very difficult to engage/disengage, ( kind of like the Bodyguard 380). I could see having an issue with it if I ever had to deploy it. I wound up selling it. It kind of soured my taste in them for a while. I actually went to my dealer for a used LC9s I had seen a couple weeks prior and wound up bringing the Shield home. I wound up buying a couple extra mags and holster for it. They are a great buy and can be had used or new for pretty cheap.

The XDS is another great little pistol. I sold the one I had unfortunately, as it was a great little gun but the problem I had with it was I would get slide bite if I didn't watch my grip. If you have big mits, it might not be right for you.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
For sigarms229 and Mrs slosig: why did/would you not like the .40?

Harsher recoil and didn't shoot very good groups compared to the 9mm version. Function was 100% reliable but I just didn't feel it was a great shooter.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
I don't own one, yet. Wink

I work in the LGS and have handled/dryfired/fired several examples in 45. Accurate and malfunction free. With an OK trigger - for a striker fired plastic gun.

My two dislikes of the XDs Mod 2 are the loaded chamber indicator which pops out of the top of the slide - and cannot be deleted and the price. Low $500s is best employee pricing on it.

So, I happily stay with my S&W CS45. Smile Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I'd say go new if you must. They're near dirt cheap nowadays, like most other 40S&W guns that generate little to no enthusiasm and interest in the civilian market.

If you're into snappy buggers, indeed the 40S&W Shield has that covered, especially the "1.0" version. With me the gun liked to slip around a lot in-hand; quite annoying and not particularly pleasurable tolerable to shoot. However more recently I shot a modified "1.0" a few months ago that had been stippled aggressively by its owner; now with that one I found it much more manageable and in actuality not nearly so bad as my previous experiences with factory stock 40S&W versions. Almost makes me consider having one for myself, though I'd look to a 2.0 instead with its trigger improvements and more aggressive grip texture before taking on an almost mandatory stipple job, along with some preferable Apex fixes as well.

As for the Springfield: I'm surprised that you found the blocky raised texture on the XDS too aggressive. I'm just the opposite; it feels too slick to me. Those 'supersized' blocks offer not nearly enough traction for my hands. The 'Grip Zone' version is slightly better to me, but still not aggressive enough. When I last had my 9mm XDS before moving it on I ended up going to grip tape to help things after years of using a less-than-satisfying Pachmayr grip sleeve in the hope of making it 'grippier' to hold on securely to.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless its dirt cheap or had a a good holster rig , I would not get it from him . I would get a newer 2.0 Shield in 9 I would think it would be easier on the gun than a 40. Also I would RUN from that 365 every Sig forum has bad info on them . I have a Shield 9 L/E package came with 3 mags and fact night sights , its a tac driver for a small gun , and no problems .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We sure buy a lot of them used, or for trade ins on the Glock 43.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I've got the Shield in 9mm and .45. Even though I've had the P365 for about 6 months and 1500+ rounds, my 9mm Shield is still my carry choice.

That said, I must confess that I'm just not a fan of the .40 caliber, especially in the smaller guns.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Shield M.2 in .40 with the rough grip material. I don't like it at all. The rough grip I covered with a Pachmyra Grip Sleeve. And, I'm in the process of converting the .40 to .357 Sig.

I also have a Shield M.2 in 9mm which I love and I've bought and sold an XDS and stopped carrying my little 1911s. If you want a Shield, buy one new. If you want an XD, buy it. Or Buy both and then decide.

Bill

Posts: 137 | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post