SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Do any agencies - departments issue SIG SAO models?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do any agencies - departments issue SIG SAO models? Login/Join 
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted
I was just curious if any police agencies or government departments issue or allow SIG SAO pistols?

It would stand to reason that any department that would allow a 1911 should allow it's much more modern/reliable action twin iteration of the P220 SAO for instance.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Interesting question. Curious to hear if there are any takers. I'd bet there are not many.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
My job allows them technically, as we allow any P226 or P220 variant, and allows SAO pistols, however, nobody has shown up to qualify one, so it's a moot point.

There are a few cocked and locked H&K's, but it is a way less than 1 percent of the total.

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2446 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I purchased a 220 Carry SAO in 2010 (maybe?) that was supposedly part of a contract production run according to several sites. No idea who's contract of course.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
All of the LEO buy backs I have seen are DAKs.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I think those SAO 220’s were part of some South American contract overrun.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
I'm currently carrying a 226SAO Legion on duty. As long as you are 1911 certified, you're good to go.

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello I am currently carrying a Sig 1911 as my duty weapon...Does that count as one of your SAO,or are you only looking for the P series SAO??

Evil Triumphs When Good Men Do Nothing

Posts: 777 | Location: NC | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I imagine the places that let you chose your own gun are the most likely spots.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
My department does not furnish our handguns, we buy our own from an approved list. I am currently carrying a P220 SAO on duty.

Posts: 2585 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I have a relative who is a municipal police officer in the South. The department allows them quite a bit of handgun latitude - he carries a Legion 226 SAO that he personally purchased.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I know several that carry personal purchase guns. In California of all places.

Best out of the box trigger out there.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I have a question for the folks above that are carrying a SAO P series pistol. I sort of tried one at the Sig store last year and did not like the safety.... it seemed really hard to flip off... is that normal?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I have a question for the folks above that are carrying a SAO P series pistol. I sort of tried one at the Sig store last year and did not like the safety.... it seemed really hard to flip off... is that normal?

I own one SAO Sig P226 and find the safety way to disable as part of the grip and draw process.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We carry personal firearms at my department and have a pretty good amount of flexibility. Currently 4 officers including me carry a 226 Legion SAO, and we also have a couple guys that carry 1911s.

Posts: 788 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: July 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

I own one SAO Sig P226 and find the safety way to disable as part of the grip and draw process.[/QUOTE]

Can DaBigBR or somebody interpret that for me... I think autocorrect messed it up.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
"Easy" was autocorrected to "Way"

He's saying his P226 SAO's safety is easy to disable.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The safety should snap on and off without any real effort. If you are not used to manipulating one they are best snapped off as part of the draw/presentation by using it as a thumbrest. I started on 1911s and find that I'm automatically high thumbs and it just comes off during the draw somewhere.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:

The SIG SAO safety is not difficult but it is sure, and that is exactly what you want. There should be a distinct tactile snap when the safety is moved. If you are using the 4-step draw process the safety comes of at step 4, when the gun is pointed in the direction of the target you intend to shoot. As mentioned above, it is part of the draw, but not too soon in the draw process. You should go through a minimum of 200 repetitions of the draw-safety off-fire-ready gun-safety on before transitioning to a SAO for defensive purposes. Dropping the safety is a muscle memory skill step that must be practiced for it to work for you under stress, and you damn sure better remember to return it so safe before returning to the holster. I have been working on my own transition from DA/SA to a SAO Legion for a couple of months and it has become second nature with a lot of practice.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear. I'm scheduled to take a four day defensive hand gun class the 1st of Dec. for the third time... in the past I've always used a DA/SA pistol. Last year it was a new Sig p226... if I get a wind fall before the class I'm considering a SAO P226.... would make the shooting test on the last day a lot easier I think... even though I have almost aced it both times.... just one miss out of 25... not really a miss just not in center of head area or thoracic cavity. Head shots are a little tough with double action at 7 meters and you only have 2.3 seconds.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"