SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P365....SHOT 2018?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 34
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P365....SHOT 2018? Login/Join 
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
seems to be a vast improvement over the 290. I like the full size sights!!!.

We will see how it performs first!!

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Compared to the pricing of Shield, LC9, and Walther OPS, this may seem little higher...but I am thinking it against Glock 26, VP9sk, etc. The kicker is capacity. They could have made the slide a bit more attractive.

Posts: 1351 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Our buy price just in from our rep would make the MAP for the 365 a little less than a plastic-sighted G43.

EDIT: Never mind. I was looking at the wrong price sheet.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
MSRP is a bit high. At least it comes with night sights.

Anyone know if it will be available via the IOP program?

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Read the CONSTITUTION
Picture of Mountain Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
At least it comes with night sights.

Anyone know if it will be available via the IOP program?

BINGO.. Might push me over from another GLOCK if its on IOP.

A 9mm in MY Hand is better than a 45 at home.
SIG P-239 357.. The Modern Martial Arts
Pair of 226 Navy's

Too many" LOW INFORMATION VOTERS "
si vis pacem para bellvm

Posts: 2172 | Location: UN Constitution State  | Registered: October 22, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Assuming this actually works and is safe $500ish is perfectly fair IMO. That is a tiny 10+1 round package. Mag prices are steep and I bet they will be a bitch to load.

All that being said the 320 was always kinda meh from me but this thing is quite he little package right out of the box.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Looks good.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
1" width on a double stack (or semi-double stack) is impressive. Same width (actually .02" less) as the Glock 43. Yeah, I'm interested.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

An in depth article with lots of pictures is available at:

www.SoldierSystems.net/2018/01/08/Introducing-The-Sig-Sauer-P365/

Introducing the SIG SAUER P365
Monday, January 8th, 2018
by Soldier Systems

In early December I was invited, along with several other writers, to New Hampshire’s SIG SAUER to check out a completely new pistol they planned to release in early 2018. Today, I get to share what I saw when they they sat us down for the big reveal. Meet the SIG P365.

The name explains the pistol’s intent, as a concealed, everyday carry sidearm. SIG refers to it as a High-Capacity Micro-Compact pistol.

The basic stats are impressive; the P365 measures 1″ wide, 5.8″ long, and 4.3″ tall with a barrel length of 3.1″. It also weighs just 17.8 oz with an empty magazine. Now comes, the beauty part; the standard magazine capacity is 10 rounds.

Development
When they decided to develop this pistol, SIG looked at the three attributes of pistols intended for concealed carry; Concealability, Capability, and Capacity, evaluating what was already available in the market.

Here’s how the P365 stacks up compared to the footprint of other, similar pistols.

[picture]

This graphic offers a size comparison between various compact pistols and the P365.

[picture]

SIG engineers considered where they could make the biggest impact and decided capacity was key, so long as they could maintain in the other areas as well. Consequently, they started with the magazine. Essentially, designing the pistol around the magazine. It’s not a full double stack, nor a single stack, but rather something in between with a narrow neck. SIG has three patents pending for this new design which allows the P365 to be as narrow as it is.

The pistol comes with a 10 round flush magazine as well as a 10 round extended version. The 12 round extended magazine is available as an after market add-on accessory.

Attributes
I want to be very clear that this is not a repackaged P320, although you can see that they are related. As you can imagine, the internals are very similar to the P320, with a fire control unit which is serialized.

The P365 frame offers a high grip to bore axis to reduce perceived recoil. The grip is fully-textured polymer with a slim-line rail. Additionally, the Nitron coated stainless-steel slide comes standard with front and rear serrations for slide manipulation, as well as SIGLITE night sights.

Testing
Based on their experience with the P320, SIG developed an entirely new, enhanced drop test protocol for duty handguns. They dropped the P365, 574 times in 26 orientations as well as five drops at 6 feet on concrete.

For those of you are wondering if this new test protocol is going to be retroactive to older pistol models, it isn’t. However, any new models will be subjected to this protocol during development.

Additionally, they’ve put over 40,000 rounds through a P365 with no frame cracks.

Ron Cohen’s Remarks
SIG CEO Ron Cohen is very proud of his company’s R&D investment. He stated that they spend four to fives times as much of their competitors and as time has gone on they’ve begun to rely more heavily on analytical and modeling work, citing a recent teaming agreement with nearby MIT. He went on to say, “We built this pistol around our new, proprietary magazine for maximum concealability, capacity and shootability. The P365 is a pistol for professionals and civilians alike who want a smaller, high-performance pistol that does it all. This is the ultimate, everyday concealed carry pistol.”

During his remarks, Ron Cohen also mentioned that the P365 could very well replace full size pistols in many agencies. The reason so many carry full sized, double stacked pistols, is so that they have access to more rounds. He might be on to something.

[Picture]

As an interesting aside, the SIG marketing team gave us a look at how they plan to market the P365.

But Does It Shoot?
Over the course of two days, I was able to fire about 1000 rounds through the pistol. On the first day, we fired outdoors, at SIG Academy’s famous Area 51. When they had initially planned on holding the event, the weather was much milder. However, on that day, conditions were extremely cold.

At one point, I checked the app on my phone and it said that it felt like 8 degrees.

Although it was cold, the pistol was comfortable to shoot. One of the things that has always bothered me about compact pistols is that I don’t feel like I’m getting a proper grip. One of the things SIG has done with the P365 is that it has a more pronounced trigger undercut bringing the grip higher and offering more contact with the pistol. Even though it’s not as concealable, the 12 round magazine allowed a full grip for me, especially with gloves on, while the 10 round flush magazine felt like my pinky finger didn’t quite get full purchase. I like the third option, the 10 round extended magazine, a great compromise between grip, concealability and capacity.

Unfortunately, with at least one round in every magazine on that first day, the pistol failed to completely go into battery. Initially, SIG employees told me I was limp wristing the pistol. As I was wearing gloves and it was very cold, I figured we’d see if that was actually the problem once we were inside on the second day. However, it turned out that all of the press, and a couple of SIG personnel shooting the pistol that day, experienced the same issue.

I really appreciated the front and rear slide serrations as I was wearing gloves and worked out how to best manipulate the slide while loading the pistol and reducing malfunctions.

That evening, they cleaned the weapons, stripped the lubricant and replaced it with Slip 2000. Although I asked which lubricant was used on that first day, oddly, no one seemed to know what was used.

The second day was indoors where the writers participated in an abbreviated concealed carry course presented by the great instructors of SIG Academy.

We began each scenario with dry fire and progressed to timed engagement of multiple targets, with new targets being revealed as the scenario progressed. In addition to restaurant situations, we also fired from and around a vehicle which was rolled into the range.

The failure to go into battery issues went away. In fact, I had zero malfunctions and I fired three times as many rounds in the second day as the first. Based on this, I’d say that the lubricant used the first day was not appropriate for the environment. It’s an important issue which few consider until they are in that situation.

Additionally, firing was all barehanded and the texturized grip felt great. It was aggressive enough that I wouldn’t want to change it, but not so much that it annoyingly chaffed. The controls were easy to manipulate except for the magazine release which required me to adjust my grip slightly.

Accessories
As far as accessories go, the P365 has a slim-line rail. SIG has planned for a weapon light and laser which fit this rail, to be offered by SIG Optics. The light will be available sometime this Spring with the laser coming later in the year. SIG also has a Lima grip with its integrated laser, under development. Although the Lima grip is user swappable, SIG doesn’t want to refer to the P365 as modular. At least, not yet. It is however, user configurable. Interestingly, SIG informed me that they will offer a suppressor for the P365. Although they haven’t offered any additional details, I would imagine that it will require a threaded barrel.

As it’s intended as a concealable pistol, you’re going to need a holster. While the P365 will fit several generic holsters, SIG has worked with Black Point to offer a fully ambidextrous holster which can be configured for Inside the Waist Band or belt carry. They also offer a magazine pouch.

Overall Impressions
Although there were hiccups on the first day, I consider the P365 reliable, at least based on my limited interaction. Unfortunately, due to the range scenarios we had access to, I can make no determination regarding accuracy. The concealed carry phase concentrated on exposing us to a range of scenarios, but based on those scenarios, I feel that the biggest advantage of the the P365 was the ability to engage multiple targets, with multiple rounds, without reloading. No other pistol of this size offers that.

I think the P365 is going to prove very popular. With the 12 round extended magazine, plus one up the pipe, you’ve got yourself a full capacity pistol in a package you can actually conceal. I plan on purchasing one, as my first SIG handgun, once they are available.

According to SIG, the P365 has been in production for several months and should be available very soon. Their concern is keeping up with demand for a pistol that has broken the mould for a carry pistol, combining concealability with capacity.

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by USCO160:
MSRP $599!!! Thats gonna hurt, will probably sell for $500 but still steep. 3 mags are nice but if it goes for $400 it will be competitive imo.

wont be going for 400.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
I’m intrigued and I see Sig developed new drop test criteria.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
I want one.

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:

That silhouette comparison got my attention. With the bores (and apparently the tops of the slides) aligned, the trigger guard area on the SIG is a lot higher than S&W, Glock, Ruger and Springfield. So maybe the base pistol itself is going to have more grip area than I initially thought it might. Give me enough room in the trigger guard for my pudgy trigger finger and I'm thinking this might be worth jumping on.

The other thing is that the article reports SIG having three patents pending on the "narrow neck" magazine. I'm all for SIG getting the patents, but I'll be damned if my first impression wasn't that, from the exterior, the mag looks like the (not so available - we're talking $150 a copy) mags for the old double-stack Makarov pistol that the Russians produced briefly.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NoQuota
posted Hide Post
compared to my shield 9, it is slightly shorter in length, yet has a barrel the same length, it is slightly shorter in height, and weighs 2oz less.

All while affording 3 more rounds.

I'm very interested!

BTW I pocket carry my Shield 9, so this would be even easier to do with this gun.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Posts: 597 | Location: St Augustine, FL | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike S:
I want one.

So do I.

Actually, I'm thinking of getting one for my daughter. If she holds to form, she won't like it, and dang it, I'll have to keep it.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
It is interesting, but - I don't trust SIG when they start talking about options they are going to produce. Their word on future offerings is worthless in my opinion.

I'm in the hopeful wait and see camp.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2226 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NoQuota
posted Hide Post
One observation, the grip angle is extremely upright.

I think this is how they were able to get the extra capacity, at least in part.

I'm not sure if it will point naturally.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Posts: 597 | Location: St Augustine, FL | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
I'm thinking of getting one for my daughter. If she holds to form, she won't like it, and dang it, I'll have to keep it.

Good thinking, sir.

God bless America.

Posts: 13497 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
quote:
SIG invested two years to develop the P365, but all of that started with an initial six months working on the magazine. The engineers considered where they could make the biggest impact and decided capacity was key, so long as they could maintain in the other areas as well. Consequently, they started with the magazine. Essentially, designing the pistol around the magazine. It’s not a full double stack, nor a single stack, but rather something in between, a narrow neck. SIG has three patents pending for this new design which allows the P365 to be as narrow as it is.

S&W beat you to the narrow neck design.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NoQuota:
One observation, the grip angle is extremely upright.

I think this is how they were able to get the extra capacity, at least in part.

I'm not sure if it will point naturally.

I noticed that as well. The grip is very straight when you compare it to the Shield overlay.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post