SIGforum
Trijicon HD sights on Vetrec/M9A3, etc

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/2790040844

October 07, 2018, 10:51 PM
car541
Trijicon HD sights on Vetrec/M9A3, etc
I have always liked the sight picture provided by the Trijicon HD sights, and I have simultaneously wished I could put some sort of better sights on my 92FS.

Earlier this year, I acquired an INOX Vertec 92 slide for ny 92FS and put it on my old 92F INOX that I carry as a duty sidearm. The improvement in sights was immediate over the original stainless post front, but a further upgrade seemed possible.

A look Trijicon website indicated the following:

model...................overall height front.......overall height rear.....Difference front to back
Vertec night sights (BE08)......... 0.222.............0.297..................0.075
90-two HD sights .................. 0.295.............0.357................. 0.062

Given the difference in front vs back was only 0.013 inches fron to back, and that the front sight height on the 90-two HD was expected to be a little high for the Vertec (shoot low), I decided to order a set, install them and expect that some minor reduction in the height of the fron HD sight would make it shoot POI=POA.

So, I order a set of HD sights for a 90-two and installed them on the vertec slide. Turns out, the dovetails are the same, and the sights went on like they were designed for the gun. Then I went to the range, and found out that (as expected) the gun shot low at 25 yards,by 3 inches.

Given that the sght radius of the slide was 6.3 inches and the distance to target was 900 inches,and the gun was shooting 3 inches low, I was able to figure that adjusting my sights 0.021 inches (21 thousanths) would restore me to point of aim at point of impact (note when I say point of aim, I mean the tip of the front sight, not the center of the dot)

So, I filed the sight down 0.020 (as measured with my Dillon dial calipers), cold blued the top of the sight were I filed (cant be seen when shooting since the top of the sght is sloped away from the shooter's eye.It should be noted that this level of height reduction does not take enough off of the front sight to get the metal down near the tritium, and in fact does not even cut in far enough to touch the ring of photoluminecent paint of the sight.

I then went back to the range. the pistol now shoots right to point of impact and has the HD sight pricture I prefer.

Unfortunately, i am presemntly incapable of posting pictures but if someone want some via email to post, I'm in.

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown
October 07, 2018, 11:55 PM
car541
My 92a1 has 90-two sights on it. The rear sight for the 90-two is higher. I have no idea how they came up with the blade heights for the 92a1 hd’s.

October 08, 2018, 09:15 PM
piedrarc
Sorry, I deleted my comment. I kinda felt like it took away from the great content you put out.

But.... How are the 90-Two HD's on the 92A1?
They zero good at 25 yards?

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Operation Specific Training

Bang, bang, Click
October 08, 2018, 11:48 PM
car541
quote:
Originally posted by piedrarc:
Sorry, I deleted my comment. I kinda felt like it took away from the great content you put out.

But.... How are the 90-Two HD's on the 92A1?
They zero good at 25 yards?

They still needed a little trim off the front sight. I actually prefer the sight picture with a little bit trimmed off, puts the dot closer to the top of the sight.

October 09, 2018, 10:09 AM
JAFO
quote:
Originally posted by car541:
Unfortunately, i am presemntly incapable of posting pictures but if someone want some via email to post, I'm in.

Feel free to email them to me and I'll post them. Email is in my profile.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates
October 09, 2018, 09:23 PM
JAFO
Posting for car541:

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates