SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I've Been Dry-Firing - A Lot
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I've Been Dry-Firing - A Lot Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
A month ago I acquired a P210 Target. Long story short: I performed abysmally with it. Part of it was no doubt due to being way out of practice, as I hadn't been to the range in at least eighteen months. Part of it was due to performance anxiety--exacerbated by the expectation that I should have been able to shoot "one ragged hole" with it.

(On a subsequent visit I did do better--if not as well as I'd hoped.)

I vowed that, this time, I really would get to the range more often and that I'd spend time, regularly, dry-firing. It's been a month, and so far I have. Several times a day. My trigger control has improved greatly in that time.

One of the pistols with which I've been dry-fire practicing is a P229 Sport, which is TDA. I've been practicing DA with it. That thing has a heckuva heavy DA trigger pull. After getting my sight picture "fairly" steady with that, SA trigger pull became almost a piece of cake.

Now I'm practicing with my P320F, in preparation for my next range session, and I'm finding it quite easy to maintain a very steady sight picture through the trigger pull--even when pushing the speed a bit.

It'll be interesting to see how all this is reflected in my next range trip.

I only wish my LaserLyte hadn't died. (I'm awaiting them getting back to me on an RMA. See: American Outdoor Brands Acquires LaserLyte.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
So, you recommend the LaserLyte? I've seen them and always wondered if they were worth the $100 to $200 or whatever they cost.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10916 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
So, you recommend the LaserLyte? I've seen them and always wondered if they were worth the $100 to $200 or whatever they cost.

Mine is a LaserLyte Trainer Universal (they now call it). Looks like this:

There's a thread on these things, and related items, at LaserLyte Trainer

Mine worked pretty well, until it didn't. I'm waiting to see if they honour the 3-year warranty.

You can see my experience with the device in the (currently) last post of that thread.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Just remember, it's your range time. If you want to do 50-100 dry fires before going hot, why the hell not? The best dry fire is fresh dry fire.

Posts: 7354 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
And why not dry fire with the P210 with which you struggled?

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra21:
And why not dry fire with the P210 with which you struggled?

Did that all last week. But this week I'm taking the P320 out to play.

The P210 is great and all, but I really am way behind on SD pistol trigger time.

quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
The best dry fire is fresh dry fire.

I've done that, too.

Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Since I've dipped my toes back into the Da/Sa world, I've noticed a marked improvement in my (still overall just "okay") pistol shooting with regular Da dry fire at home.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:
Since I've dipped my toes back into the Da/Sa world, I've noticed a marked improvement in my (still overall just "okay") pistol shooting with regular Da dry fire at home.

That's a good deal of my original point.

If you can train yourself to hold a steady sight picture through a double-action trigger pull, SA or striker trigger pulls become a piece of cake.

Monday I remembered I had a sets of strap-on wrist and ankle weights. Haven't used 'em for years. I added the wrist weights when dry-firing with the P320. They're a bit over one pound each. After doing that for a couple days, holding that pistol is about like holding out empty hands Smile

I'm going to hang one of the 2 lb. ankle weights on my wrist when I get to practicing bullseye stance dry-firing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:

That's a good deal of my original point.

If you can train yourself to hold a steady sight picture through a double-action trigger pull, SA or striker trigger pulls become a piece of cake.

Monday I remembered I had a sets of strap-on wrist and ankle weights. Haven't used 'em for years. I added the wrist weights when dry-firing with the P320. They're a bit over one pound each. After doing that for a couple days, holding that pistol is about like holding out empty hands Smile

I'm going to hang one of the 2 lb. ankle weights on my wrist when I get to practicing bullseye stance dry-firing.

Just to add onto that...using grip strengthening tools can also help with shooting. I like Captains of Crush grippers.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
Just to add onto that...using grip strengthening tools can also help with shooting. I like Captains of Crush grippers.

That's a good point.

I used to use grip strengtheners on a regular basis--whether I was shooting at the time or not. I've gotten out of the habit. I need to get back into it.