SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Has anyone "shot out" a P226 barrel?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone "shot out" a P226 barrel? Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Hey all-

I have a LE trade-in 9mm P226. It looks like it has been shot a bit but I was just informed that "the barrel is beyond it's service life" by a gunsmith that I trust.
So, it's shot out.

How many rounds of standard 9mm would it take to wear out a Sig barrel?

Curious.

Bruce

It's good to have a gunsmith you trust, but did you ask him what he based in comment on? Hopefully, not "Trust me. I'm the only one here professional enough...". Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26354 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Hey all-

I have a LE trade-in 9mm P226. It looks like it has been shot a bit but I was just informed that "the barrel is beyond it's service life" by a gunsmith that I trust.
So, it's shot out.

How many rounds of standard 9mm would it take to wear out a Sig barrel?

Curious.

Bruce

Hi! It's good to have a gunsmith you trust, but did you ask him what he based in comment on? Hopefully, not "Trust me. I'm the only one here professional enough...". Big Grin

If this is the barrel I discussed with a fellow last week? Then I based it upon an objective assessment of substantial rifling leade erosion and heavy mechanical wear, backed by a shooting test in a new P226. It grouped markedly less well than a new barrel.

There is no reason to assume that the barrel spent it's life in that particular pistol. I'd say it probably did not, and was installed so a better barrel could be retained. I've often seen this.

Trust me. I am the only one here professional enough to know when I'm wrong and admit it. This time, I'm not. :-)

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I'm still confused how it is determined that this barrel is beyond its service life. Shot it and accuracy sucked? some physical attribute like headspace or wear.
I can't for the life of me think of any prior discussion of an LE gun where discussion was of a barrel that was considered 'shot out' in any forum I belong to.
In any case in addition to the 50K 226 I have several others with round counts in the high 20k's. Its really tough to wear out one of these. And with all those chiming in on glocks its never discussed that you can wear one out. I have a handful of glock barrels that I bought form our local PD when they were replaced after many years and I would defy anyone to tell the difference to a new one. FWIW>

It was sent in with the slide, for refinishing. As far as I know, the determination was made through visual inspection, possibly also headspace gauging.
I'm not at all concerned about "is it or isn't it?". If you go to the family doctor and he makes a recommendation, you do what the man say: new barrel ordered.

The purpose of this thread wasn't to figure out if the barrel had been shot out. Being (primarily) a Glock guy, I hadn't considered that a pistol barrel *could* be shot out. I really wanted to find out: "Is this a thing?" with Sig's and other brands Smile
I appreciate all the input.

Bruce

Edit: I guess it would pay to refresh before commenting on my own thread Smile

Edit: Yes, Mr. Gray, this is the barrel that Tyrell called me about, last week. I didn't post the shop name in the thread because I wanted this to remain a barrel discussion as opposed to a discussion of your merits and virtues Smile A new barrel is on its way to you.

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post