SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Has anyone "shot out" a P226 barrel?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone "shot out" a P226 barrel? Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

I have a LE trade-in 9mm P226. It looks like it has been shot a bit but I was just informed that "the barrel is beyond it's service life" by a gunsmith that I trust.
So, it's shot out.

How many rounds of standard 9mm would it take to wear out a Sig barrel?

Curious.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Your answer isn't an easy one, Bruce. There are many factors to how long a barrel will last. I don't think anyone can say it takes "XX,000" rounds to burn one out. Factors like steel case ammo play a part in chamber wear, and throat erosion. The cleaning regime also plays a factor. I know of some DHS guns that are 60k+ and still going strong on a factory barrel.

To me, throat erosion plays a greater factor in the barrel going than the rifling being gone. I have a gun that is close. It is somewhere north of 45k. With a clean bore, I have problems making it group. I do dare say that at the end of the service life, replace it with a semi-drop in Barsto, or send it in for a gunsmith fit.

I know Bruce had an older late 80s, early 90s 226 that went somewhere around 50k.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Yes, I'm weighing a slightly used Sig barrel against a fitted Barsto, especially since it's already in the shop.

Waiting to hear a price (ouch?)

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Installation would the be the wild card, the barrel runs around $200-$225. They are worth it, though.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my old agency we used to shoot quite a bit. We found that for best results we replaced the barrels somewhere between between 20000 to 24000 with standard pressure ammo.

I realize the number is flexible depending upon the type of ammo and that others may have differing opinions.

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
100% Sea-Moose
posted Hide Post
Oem factory barrels can be had for $150ish brand new or even cheaper if you can find a used one

Posts: 301 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My oldest 226 is now over 50K rounds. I don't notice any special issues with it. I don't do bullseye and its just fine for steel plates. Since sig doesn't have any "service life" specification I'd wonder what the heck he was talking about.
But in any case a new barrel is really cheap so price it accordingly and move on I would say.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was an instructor, between CE classes, Quals and general plinking, I had a 229 go about 12K.
Other than some surface wear, I saw no other wear. I am sure it was there, but it was not noticeable in performance or appearance.
If I ever get to 20K with a Sig, I would consider a barrel change at that point.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I ever get to 20K with a Sig, I would consider a barrel change at that point.

Why? it won't be worn out at that point unless abused in some way. not a chance.

100% Sea-Moose
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:

Why? it won't be worn out at that point unless abused in some way. not a chance.

I have a 226 with 30k+ rounds and it's still going strong as the day I bought it

Posts: 301 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Well, I'll be interested to shoot the old barrel side by side with the new barrel.
I found a barrel with 800 rounds through it in the Classifieds, here.
Hopefully, that one will still have some life in it Wink

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Let's say your new barrel goes 40k rounds.

Let's say your ammo can be bought for $10 per 50.

Your new barrel is $225.

Your ammo cost to wear it out is $8000.

My point being, compared to ammo, parts and even guns themselves are relatively cheap. Buy that dude a Barstow and keep on truckin. Smile

ETA: Or a newer stock barrel. That works too! Big Grin

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would think you'd be more likely to ruin your frame rails due to poor lubrication/maintenance before you'd 'shoot out' a barrel.

it's not something i'm worried about with anything I own. simply no way i'd ever shoot enough for it to matter.

Posts: 213 | Location: North Texas (DFW) | Registered: July 08, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I have a G19 with 25k + and still kicking. It's been worked pretty hard, not cleaned often, and nothings been replaced. Still shoots nice, just the front sight is chewed a bit

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by quantum13:
I would think you'd be more likely to ruin your frame rails due to poor lubrication/maintenance before you'd 'shoot out' a barrel.

Right? The rails are in good condition. So, whoever this cop was that previously owned this pistol, he liked to shoot a TON and knew how to maintain the gun.
One in a million? Wink

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I have a G19 with 25k + and still kicking. It's been worked pretty hard, not cleaned often, and nothings been replaced. Still shoots nice, just the front sight is chewed a bit

I saw a G34 slide at a GSSF shoot that the armorer was looking at. It had literally been dry fired to death. It wore out the breach face. Now, don't worry about dry firing your Glocks, this one had been dry fired almost daily for years as this fellow was fanatical about practicing in his basement.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

Chuck Taylor had a G19 years ago with over 250,000 rounds through it.

25,000 rounds in that G19 isn't quite broken in, yet.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm still confused how it is determined that this barrel is beyond its service life. Shot it and accuracy sucked? some physical attribute like headspace or wear.
I can't for the life of me think of any prior discussion of an LE gun where discussion was of a barrel that was considered 'shot out' in any forum I belong to.
In any case in addition to the 50K 226 I have several others with round counts in the high 20k's. Its really tough to wear out one of these. And with all those chiming in on glocks its never discussed that you can wear one out. I have a handful of glock barrels that I bought form our local PD when they were replaced after many years and I would defy anyone to tell the difference to a new one. FWIW>

Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
The manual says 26,560 shots is the lifepan mid-point but it's 17,360 rounds if +P is ran through it, 50% of the time.

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What manual?