SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    220 DAO with nickel controls
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

220 DAO with nickel controls Login/Join 
posted
Hi all my local place has a 220 with nickel controls that's DAO I was wondering if anyone knows if this could of been a LE issue or just something sig did at the time it's in great shape and was thinking about adding it to the collection . Going to look at the serial number tomorrow maybe that will help . Thanks in advance

Posts: 125 | Location: New York | Registered: April 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Interesting.
I have a 9mm P226 that was identified as a NY Police Department contract overrun. It originally had a conventional (not DAK) double action only trigger and nickel plated controls, so there are some similarities between my gun and the one you saw.

Although I have nothing more than second- or third-hand information about the NYPD handgun policies, I understood them to limit approval of SIG Classic line pistols to 9mm and DAO triggers. In addition, the one I have came with a red spring DAK mainspring that made the trigger pull weight heavier than normal (13+ pounds). A DAO P220 with nickel controls might have been assembled with left over parts from the NYPD contract, although not all P226 parts would be usable in the P220. Does that one have a nickel plated slide catch lever?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Sometimes the previous owner will swap the controls (or slide) to make their Sig stand out.

See if they have the original case and if so, what model number is on the case?

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I’m also curious about the hammer of the one you saw. In this photo, there are two DAO hammers, the one in the middle, and the one just to the right of the middle one. The latter is the “bobbed” DAO hammer and that’s what was in the NYPD DAO P226 I have. DAO hammers are uncommon, the bobbed version less so, and the only nickel plated bobbed hammer I’ve seen was that one.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Sometimes the previous owner will swap the controls (or slide) to make their Sig stand out.

This is true.

Posts: 3235 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm heading over to the store today I'm going to look at those things you mentioned . I will get the serial number as well to see if that helps . Thanks

Posts: 125 | Location: New York | Registered: April 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cummings Custom Refinishing
posted Hide Post
Over the past 30 years we have done hundred of sets of Sig controls in Nickel for people to make their Sigs look just like that. It is an inexpensive way to make your gun a little different

Cummings Custom Refinishing offers Quality Craftsmanship at affordable prices. Fully Lic FFL's for over 30 years
OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED
423-639-8924
www.ccrrefinishing.com

Posts: 5208 | Location: Eastern Tn | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP,

Any pics ?

Posts: 828 | Location: CA | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No pics finally got back to the store today because the line wasn't to long it's crazy here now . That model was actually a 220 DAO with a stainless slide as well as the controls .the 226 they had next to it seems like a NYPD gun DAO with a nickel bobbed hammer and controls serial number U720s sorry I got the two confused makes more sense now still both very nice .