SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Beretta PX4 - Second Time Around
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta PX4 - Second Time Around Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Picked up the Wilson Combat 12# spring as recommended by Langdon, and it's great. Not sure if that's heavier or lighter than the PX4 "D" spring, but it's an improvement for sure and makes me want to invest in replacement sights for this pistol.

Anyone recommend a good fiber optic set for this pistol? I've never run fiber optics, and though I'm inclined to go with what I know (Truglo Tritum Pros), I'm also open to trying out a fiber optic front sight with blacked out rears. Lemme know and thanks in advance.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a compact and a full size. The compact has an LTT Red Dot upgrade and both have a LTT Trigger Job in a Bag. I like them a lot as concealed carry guns. I'd choose a different gun as for duty and competition.

Things I like:
- Size, weight and rounded shape for great for concealed carry.
- Low perceived recoil
- DA/SA
- Has a decent trigger from the factory.
- Inexpensive ($400 used)
- The ergonomics generally work for me.

Things I don't like
- Short sight radius. The full size has a similar sight radius to a Glock 19. The compact is similar to a glock 26.
- OE decocker sucks. LTT offers a low profile replacement.
- No grip texture. Talon Grips offers stickers. I'll eventually send it off for stippling.
- Compact gives me hammer bite. LTT offers a bobbed hammer which solves that.
- Not well suited for a red dot, but LTT offers a relatively expensive mod. I have several hundred rounds through mine without issue.
- No tall sights for BUIS for red dot. I don't expect them any time soon.
- Aftermarket sight options are limited. I wish there were fiber optic sights available.

Overall, it's an inexpensive gun well suited for concealed carry. For another hundred bucks, Talon grips stickers, a lightweight hammer spring and low profile decocker levers (G conversion) are highly recommended. For another $90, the Ameriglo sights are worthy of consideration. At $165, so is the TJIAB.

I'll have well over a grand invested in my red dot equipped PX4C, including the gun itself, once it goes off to Boresight Solutions for grip treatment.

Cheers,

Posts: 1173 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dave. I considered the Ameriglo sights, but ended up picking up a set of Truglo Tritium Pro sights instead. They made a difference on my G17 vs. the stock sights, so I'm hoping they'll make an equally noticeable difference on this PX4.

The TJIAB is intriguing...was it a significant difference on your full-size PX4 over the stock setup?

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t remember. I drank the LTT kool aid pretty hard. I didn’t really bother to shoot the gun before installing the trigger. If I had it to do over again, I’d start with a spring change, shoot it a bit and then determine if I needed better.

The TJIAB equipped trigger is outstandingly smooth, even with a heavy spring.

Posts: 1173 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Here are some pics of mine. Excuse the pic quality, I’m not a photographer. I worked with Robert Burke on development of the PX4’s as at the time there were no trigger mods or people actively working on them. LT found out what we were doing then came out with the trigger in the bag stuff.

At first I had him put the comp triggers (Beretta factory part) in the Compact and Subcompact but by the time we got to the full size he didn’t need any parts to modify the triggers. 10#/4# with short reset. They are extremely close to what a worked over P Series Sig feels like. I can’t run my mouth enough about the triggers, they are absolutely fantastic to shoot and any of the 3 could be range pistol but the full size really is something. The sub is my primary CCW and probably my favorite CCW of all time. They all have HD night sights and talon grips. I run the full size with 20rd extended magazines and I like them much better than any extended full size magazine I have ever used because they don’t upset the balance of the pistol. I had CCR do the subcompact and compact in Dusk and my pics don’t do them justice. I paid $400 each for the pistols and they are my primary platform for CCW and HD pistol.

Full review coming. Waiting on my shoulder to heal 100% from surgery then I’m going to beat the hell out of them at the range with all sorts of ammo and report anything I come across.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12557 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good deal. I'm looking forward to your review.

Regarding sights...I've heard Beretta sights are hard to remove/replace. Any suggestions from people who have been down that road?

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:

Regarding sights...I've heard Beretta sights are hard to remove/replace. Any suggestions from people who have been down that road?

There is a specific sight tool out there you can buy. I had Robert do them for me. And you are correct as they aren’t as easy to replace as other platforms.

Posts: 12557 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:

There is a specific sight tool out there you can buy. I had Robert do them for me. And you are correct as they aren’t as easy to replace as other platforms.

Hmm. I'll just try the slide-in-a-vice-with-a-brass-punch route as I don't want to drop the coin on a tool just for this one pistol, especially since this was supposed to be my project/fun gun. We shall see.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:

Hmm. I'll just try the slide-in-a-vice-with-a-brass-punch route as I don't want to drop the coin on a tool just for this one pistol, especially since this was supposed to be my project/fun gun. We shall see.

You can mail your slide/sights to Robert. He'll do it for you. The frame is serialized so you can send USPS and insure it. No FFL needed.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Posted today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjMETMqi2_o

posted Hide Post
Nice. Thanks.

I couldn't resist....tried to take the sights off, but boy oh boy...they were on there TIGHT. Like Springfield Armory seems loose by comparison tight.

As much as I like the stock, luminescent sights, the front sight was odd...like the paint fell out or something...the paint was recessed into the sight like it should have had a bead in it or a clear covering or something....so I just took a hack saw and split the sights in half. I went slow and didn't mar the slide one bit, but even cut nearly in half the sights were still very difficult to drift out with a vise and a punch (brass, then eventually steel).

One thing that was interesting is the slide's finish seemed to be stuck to the overhang of rear sight. When I removed the rear sight some of the finish on the top of the slide underneath the rear sight came off as well. Very strange...it was as if the finish was still wet when the put the rear sight on. Kinda like when you remove masking tape when you're painting your walls, and some of the paint comes with. Plus, it's almost like there was rust in the dovetail underneath the rear sight. Nothing crazy, but looked suspicious. No matter. This is a "learning/project gun", so it's all good so long as nothing gets broken. Smile The dovetail is all cleaned up now and looks good.

Now to fit the new Truglo Tritium Pro sights to the slide. I have some triangular files and will have to file down the sights, as even with the dovetail cleaned up the new sights will only tap maybe halfway in before it's too much for a brass punch and a vise. Clearance between the bottom of the sights and the top of the slide looks good, so I'm thinking it's front-to-back dimensions of the sight dovetails which need to be reduced. I'll attempt more tonight.

Really though, I don't know what they put those sights on with...some sort of hydraulic press or something crazy. I've installed these same sights on a Glock, and the rear sight wasn't nearly as tight as this, so I'm thinking Beretta has some tight slide dovetail dimensions when compared to other manufacturers.

...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
Ah the PX4. I was in the military when they came out so I bought one and found it pointed close to the same as the M9 in a light package.

I carried it from 2005-2009 until I became a civilian cop and went to Glock. During this time my now ex wife had a chance to shoot it. Despite her being 5' nothing with matching hands the gun fit her hand. During the divorce it was the thing she wanted to take, she still has it.

My wife now was at a gunshow with me and I pointed the gun out as interesting. She has learned to buy the gun when I do this. She loves the Px4 she is 6' tall the gun fits her hands.

It is one of the more underrated guns on the market that did not get the following it deserved.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finally got the sights installed...been awhile since I've done sights on something other than Glock. That was a chore. Front sight doesn't have the ring centered in the blade, so I'm waiting on Truglo to get back to me (maybe they're closed along with most everything else?) I'd leave it be but it's pretty off-center (to the right).

Kinda interested in trigger work now that the new sights are in. Still kicking around Robert Burke vs. Beretta drop-in upgrade.

posted Hide Post
Just heard back from Robert Burke...he no longer does work on Beretta, just SIG, HK, and 1911s. Frown

That makes my decision easy, I guess.

posted Hide Post
Langdon’s drop in is pretty dang nice with a 11# mainspring. They’ve had such good luck with the 11, they’ve about to drop a limited run of the 10#.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Davenator:
Langdon’s drop in is pretty dang nice with a 11# mainspring. They’ve had such good luck with the 11, they’ve about to drop a limited run of the 10#.

Oh interesting. I almost grabbed the 11# spring, but saw that Langdon was running 12# WC with no issues for thousands of rounds, and wanted the sure bet. No idea how the 12# WC compares to the stock spring in terms of weight, but I know I prefer the DA pull with the 12# and had no issues so far over 200-ish rounds.

Also, I have to ship back my Truglo front sight, as the tritium vial and ring are pretty off-center to the right in the blade. Bummer....just got the sights installed and the pistol zeroed nicely, but can't get over the off-center'd-ness. It's pretty bad, even for someone as picky as me.

Also also, I'm opting out of the Langdon trigger job in a bag option, as I have heard from a very respectable gunsmith that it's not a quality option. I'll just shoot this as is, and maybe grab a 11# spring later if I get curious.