SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Beretta PX4 - Second Time Around
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta PX4 - Second Time Around Login/Join 
posted
Had one (full-size, 9mm), traded it for a SP2022. Was watching a YouTube video of Honest Outlaw shooting a PX4 and remembered that I didn't really give mine enough time before falling down the SIG rabbit hole. Had my PX4 years ago before I started "learning how to shoot", so figured I should see if it speaks differently to me now.

Found one locally, used but in very good condition, and picked it up yesterday, converted it to decocker-only, and cleaned the heck out of it. Shot 150 rounds through it today outdoors, and realized that 1) I still like shooting DA/SA, 2) the sights return much like my HK VP9, 3) the recoil impulse of the 9mm full-size PX4 really IS minimal and easy to control, and 4) I really shouldn't sell guns, ever.

But regardless, I was pleased this pistol had the old-school luminescent sights. I wanted to like them, though, but am going to swap them out with something else...leaning heavily to a set of Truglo Tritium Pro sights like what I have on my duty G17, as installing those was a significant help to my Glock shooting so I hope it has a similar result with this PX4.

Anyone have recommendations for PX4 stuff? Mags, holsters, sights, etc..? I picked this gun up as a "project" gun, one I'd enjoy shooting and tinkering with, so I'm open to whatever.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
If you haven’t swapped the hammer spring, do so. Totally changes the trigger action. The spring you need is the Cougar HS. Beretta Part #EU00043.
I own a LTT Beretta Compact carry. IMHO, it’s a vastly underrated pistol that makes for a superb AIWB carry. I had built up a second PX4 compact with some of the same mods in the CC sans the grey ceracote. I discovered the performance trigger pack wasn’t much of an difference & that just the HS would suffice. Also, that I was able to pick up the three dot sights quicker than the single orange FS.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I will go look for that hammer spring.

If I understand you correctly, this hammer spring is the more cost-effective, worthwhile improvement when compared to the Langdon Trigger Job in a Bag?

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 00464b
posted Hide Post
I had a compact. One of those "I wish I wouldn't have sold" guns. Want another someday.

Posts: 658 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: July 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get the latest greatest decocker levers, such as through LTT. Huge improvement over both the original stock bat wings and the stealth levers. I also really like the Truglo Tritium Pros, great value for the money.

Posts: 342 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely get those improved decocking levers, the originals suck. A D spring made a huge difference in the trigger pull of my PX4. I believe Beretta's D spring is 16lbs. Wilson has some lighter ones. Congratulations on you're find, I love mine.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm...looking on the Langdon Tactical website, I see the Wilson chrome silicon hammer springs, and the 92/PX4 D springs.

Reading Langdon's posts on the pistol forum, he's had great success with the 12# WC hammer spring. In watching his YouTube video on the 92 D spring, he says the 92 D spring is heavier than the stock full-size PX4 spring, so now I'm confused, as I definitely don't want to go heavier.

I have the WC 12# spring in my cart along with a few other items, so unless someone can clarify further, I'll go with that one as I'm assuming that's the way to go in a full-size PX4 for a smooth trigger pull and reliable ignition.

https://pistol-forum.com/showt...er+spring#post659474

Lemme know if I'm off base. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
The PX4 Compact from LTT has really got me intrigued.

I never gave them much thought before.

You don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows.

Posts: 16 | Location: NW FL  | Registered: February 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The TJIAB is for the 92 series. The spring I pointed you towards was initially made for the 8000 series but is interchangeable with the PX4. It’s really all you need to get the trigger action to where it needs to go Wink
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:

If I understand you correctly, this hammer spring is the more cost-effective, worthwhile improvement when compared to the Langdon Trigger Job in a Bag?

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
The TJIAB is for the 92 series. The spring I pointed you towards was initially made for the 8000 series but is interchangeable with the PX4. It’s really all you need to get the trigger action to where it needs to go Wink
quote:

So this one?

https://www.langdontactical.co...model-hammer-spring/

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Yes, PX4 series of course Wink
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
quote:

So this one?

https://www.langdontactical.co...model-hammer-spring/

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Have a full set of them. Robert Burke did the triggers on them. I had CCR do the finish on 2/3. They are wonderful to shoot and the subcompact is one of the best EDC’s I have ever used. Dream carry triggers once Burke worked them over.

I have HD’s on all 3. Magz, bought all from Beretta on sale. The 19rd magz are excellent for the full size. The full size shoots like a laser, very nice comp/range gun. The one out of 3 three that is my least favorite is the compact. I get a better purchase on the subcompact with the flip down mag extension.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Funny this comes up.

I had my PX4 full size out the other day. I have always said I felt the rotating barrel had a noticeable effect on recoil in the larger calibers .40/.45 but not so much in 9mm.

Well when I had it out the other day I was running some strings much faster then I typically do (as I tend to savor my shooting time) and when running the gun fast I have to say I did absolutely notice the softer recoil/easier follow ups even in 9mm.

I have always very much liked my PX4. Good luck this time around to you.

Chris.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
I had my 4 Storms stippled locally. Great improvement. I shoot them as well as my LTT 92s. The only issue I have shooting both is the reset on the 92s with the LTT trigger bars is so much shorter, I occasionally short stroke the Storm. I had a wrist injury and subsequent surgery and was able to shoot the Storms twice as much before the pain started than any other platform.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree on the longer reset on the PX4, it’s the only reason I sold mine. If LTT or someone else addressed it I’d probably get another PX4 Compact. It’s not bad but I’m so used to shorter resets like Sig’s with SRT, Beretta’s with LTT OP trigger bar I short stroke the PX4.

Posts: 342 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
The 12# Wilson combat 92f mainspring is thee bomb. Also, either sand down the corners on the safety lever or replace it with a 92 style safety lever.

If you punch out the ball detent in the safety lever is makes it decock only

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2446 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trigger job in a bag for PX4 is here.
https://www.langdontactical.co...er-job-in-a-bag-px4/
Regards, Jack

Posts: 360 | Location: West Palm Beach | Registered: March 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Very underrated and incredible pistol. It’s the retarded little pistol that could.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Replacement hammer spring on the way. If that turns out well, then next up will be sights.

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
You gonna like the spring!
quote:
Replacement hammer spring on the way. If that turns out well, then next up will be sights.