SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P228 9mm barrel in a P229/40 Sport Slide?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P228 9mm barrel in a P229/40 Sport Slide? Login/Join 
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted
Hi all,

Looking for a cheap way to start USPSA Carry Optics - old eyes and bad knees, ya' know. Frown

Can I put a P228/9 barrel into my P229/40 Sport Slide that already has a cut-out for a Doctor Optic sight? I know I have to swap out the locking insert to run the 9mm barrel and drop the compensator to stay in Carry Optic. Would like to use the "new" slide assembly on my older P229/40 frame for lighter weight (than the Sport frame), too. Tried the "Find" function, but no joy to find any answers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Don't want to cut out another slide (W. German P226) if I can make this work. Wink

TIA for your responses,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
It may work if you change the locking insert. Those aren't cheap, however, and not always available. From a $$$ standpoint, it may be more practical to just buy a 9mm conversion barrel and do the job right.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The barrel hood is smaller on the 228.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcfiero
posted Hide Post
No, because of the barrel hood and outer diameter.

Posts: 327 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: June 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ This, I forgot about the diameter.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 9mm and .40 barrels differ on the outside diameter. the 9mm barrel will be loose in the muzzle end of the slide and won't lock up properly.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
You'll need to replace the entire upper and locking insert.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
An aftermarket barrel is the cheapest workable solution if you intend on using your existing slide.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Thanks all! Looking at other options now since Bar-Sto and others seem to be "Out of Stock" of the 40-9mm conversion barrels.

On the other hand, there's this cute P226 9mm Enhanced Elite that's making eyes at me. Trijicon RMR or Leupold DeltaPoint? 3.5MOA dot or 7.5MOA triangle? I need all the help I can get!!!

Good thing I have pre-ban P226 9mm mags . . . . Wink

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post