SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    1911 wood grips.....who do we like? What do we like?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1911 wood grips.....who do we like? What do we like? Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
I have publically stated here that while I like the 1911, I like them more for their asthetics than their functionality. As such, I have decided that my quartet of Commanders are all going to have smooth wood grips (which is an odd word since they will probably not be 'grippy' LOL) that will compliment the pistol they're on.

So first....what vendors? I've gotten grips from The Finer Grain (Sarge's Grips) and Raasco. Of the two, I think I prefer Sarge's. Esmeralda's Grips are next on the list.

What I have so far....

Sarge's Grips - moradillo, slim profile

I think the grain of the wood goes nicely with the slide serrations.

I have some nice burl of some kind on my Colt stainless, from Raasco I think, but I think it'll get switched out. Buckeye burl maybe? Or desert ironwood? I'd like the grips to all be different from one another.

I haven't put really picked anything out for the other two. I really like the English walnut on my Valor, but they are too chunky. I'd also like to keep it semi-gloss or matte, as the Valor appears more "business-like". Lastly I have the Kimber Pro Carry II...a blued slide that I hope to send to CCR to refinish and an odd (IMHO) silver alloy frame. I was thinking maybe some sort of light spalted wood? Or maybe some heavily figured reddish cocobolo?

So inspire me, please. LOL

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Wood looks great on 1911s but I always prefer some form of texture over any smooth surface treatment. It does obscure the grain and natural beauty of the wood but to me on a proper 1911 a textured set of grips just feels AND looks correct for the genotype. The grips need to augment the gun, not the gun serving as a pedestal to showcase the wood.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Esmeralda

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Cherokee Hills for outstanding wood.
http://cherokeehills.biz

Bill

Posts: 137 | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mr. Waffles
Picture of cherokee2u
posted Hide Post
Recently picked these up

A shepherd must tend his flock....and at times fight off the wolves

Posts: 2988 | Location: Carolina | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I prefer thin wood grips, either checkered or half-checkered.

I have a set of Herrett's Ultra Thin Pau Ferro checkered grips on my Valor Commander. (Sorry, but I don't have any photos of them mounted right now.)

Armorer's Supply is clearing out their stock of Herrett's wood grips for $9.99 each. Looks like they still have some full size standard thickness smooth walnut ones left in stock: https://www.armorerssupply.com...-grip-smooth-finish/

Fusion also makes decent wood grips, for the price, and they're available in smooth too. About on par with Raasco for price and quality. Here's a crappy photo of their standard thickness half-checkered cocobolo grips on a Dan Wesson A2 I recently traded.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just put a set of woodcaliber cocobolo grips on my Dan Wesson, really set it off.

Paul Wright

Posts: 9 | Registered: October 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I still favor Sarge for grips.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently ordered 2 sets of Wood caliber grips using their cusom configuration feature. I think it took me longer to choose a configuration than it did to receive the custom made product. There is literally hundreds of combinations to chose from. The fit and finish was excellent and I am very pleased. Biggest problem with grips is they are very addictive

Posts: 21 | Registered: November 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If traction isn't a requirement, I've always liked the Herrett D45 grips (not my picture):

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Cheroke2u/Henry...those are both very nice!!

I'd love to try the 'build your own' at Woodcaliber, but they don't offer slims. Frown

What I may do is get one grip from a different source. One from Sarge (done), one from Esmeralda, one from High Figure Grips, and one from Cherokee Hills.

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Ah, I didn't notice that you wanted Slims.

These Ultra Thin smooth walnut Herrett's are a steal at $9.99:

https://www.armorerssupply.com...h-finish-ultra-thin/

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Just another option. In the past I did my own searches to purchase exotic woods and would contract grip makers to carve them out for me. I went a bit overboard purchasing woods as you could imagine, so many different flavors and beautiful figure. One of the best shapers and makers was a great guy named Brian Challis who owns the Challis Custom grips site. He made several pairs for me and can work his magic for just about any project. One such project was that my Wilson Supergrade came with the stock starburst cocobolo grips with the Wilson emblem on them. I liked those grips a lot and contracted Brian to make a pair using nicely figured cocobolo's carved by hand with the starburst pattern of the Wilson's for my customized Ed Brown Kobra Carry, which btw I sold to a forum member here a couple years back, here's a photo...

Challis Custom Grips.. Challis Grips

This message has been edited. Last edited by: just1tym,

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Challis definitely does good work, and his bushings are awesome. At ~$20 a set (including bushings and O-rings), replacing the bushings along with the grips would be money well spent.

You'll also want to pick up one of his bushing extractor tools for your existing bushings, and a 7/32 hex driver for install.

Figure ~$100 in tools and bushing sets for your four 1911s.

Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
LOL I have already been to the Challis website and have two sets of stainless bushings, two sets of black, and the O-rings. LOL

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
LOL I have already been to the Challis website and have two sets of stainless bushings, two sets of black, and the O-rings. LOL

Oh well...I didn't see that you mentioned his site so I tossed it in the hat. He's a very good guy and straight shooter. When I first got bit by the wood bug I won an auction for a chunk of highly figured desert ironwood, actually it was a 32 lb chunk that I arranged to ship directly to Brian. When he received it he found it was not as completely dried out as the seller had mentioned in his description. Brian agreed to keep it and dry it out before cutting into it. What I didn't realize was that it takes a lot of work and thinking to cut chunks of wood to get to the nice color and grain figure to make a decent pair to carve up. He almost had to chop up the whole piece just to get a few decent pairs, figure and color wise. Smile Since, I now just get small blanks and have a hand held tester to check how dry the wood is before shipping. Wink Anyways it looks like he's still doing well and is quite flexible with getting you what you want. Had very good experience with the Sarge too, I might add.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.eaglegrips.com/

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Esmerala's are certainly my favorite!!!

I have found a few nice RAASCO grips on occasion:

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Those are some beauts! My Raascos look a lot like yours. That second one is really nice!