SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What pistol is issued to the Georgia State Patrol?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What pistol is issued to the Georgia State Patrol? Login/Join 
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted
I searched the google but the most recent article was 2016. I drove home from Savannah today and saw some troopers at a restaurant. All I could tell was it looked like a gen 5 glock and all four had +2 magazine extensions.

Posts: 3443 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They just switched to the gen4 17 in 2016. Doubt they switched again this early unless Glock gave them free gen5s.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
These guys all looked very young. I thought perhaps they are just out of the academy. I found it very interesting that they all had +2s. There were definitely not any finger grooves on the front straps. I wanted to ask them but I never liked being interrupted during a meal when I worked the road so I left them alone.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BennerP220,

Posts: 3443 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Glock 17 G4’s & G43 as backups are authorized

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
Used to have 37 back when. NYSP, PA State Cops and GSP all got them as a no cash trade in deal. I know PA is in Sig 227 right now and NY went back to the 17. PA went to the 21 for a bit and then on to the SIG. Therein lies a tale.

Posts: 816 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Citadel:
Used to have 37 back when. NYSP, PA State Cops and GSP all got them as a no cash trade in deal. I know PA is in Sig 227 right now and NY went back to the 17. PA went to the 21 for a bit and then on to the SIG. Therein lies a tale.

NYSP hasn't carried the 17 since about 2006. They carry the Gen 4 Glock 21.

Posts: 436 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Yeah, we went to 37/38s just after they did. Doesn't seem like it was that long ago. Time sure does fly...

quote:
Originally posted by Citadel:

posted Hide Post
Everyone is right about the Georgia State Patrol carrying the Glock 17 Gen 4; but I did see on another gun forum sight I can’t remember what one person who lives in Georgia said they were going to the Glock Model 45 9MM I have been trying to verify this Claim so far no dice. If the GSP did the Troopers you seen would’ve had the Glock 45 with the 19 round Magazine with the Glock +2 extension like what’s on the 19X I hope this will help I myself is a big Highway Patrol,State Police,State Trooper fanatic and fan of them.

Posts: 85 | Location: Bloomington Minnesota | Registered: May 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
This would make sense. I thought the grip looked long enough to be a full frame.

quote:
Originally posted by Nelson Kyle K:
Everyone is right about the Georgia State Patrol carrying the Glock 17 Gen 4; but I did see on another gun forum sight I can’t remember what one person who lives in Georgia said they were going to the Glock Model 45 9MM I have been trying to verify this Claim so far no dice. If the GSP did the Troopers you seen would’ve had the Glock 45 with the 19 round Magazine with the Glock +2 extension like what’s on the 19X I hope this will help I myself is a big Highway Patrol,State Police,State Trooper fanatic and fan of them.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:
This would make sense. I thought the grip looked long enough to be a full frame.

quote:
I was just on the Georgia State Patrol Facebook page and looked at some of the photos and did the view larger thing and definitely they have either the Glock 17 Gen 5 or the Glock 45 9MM with the +2 Magazine extension I’m leaning more towards them carrying the 9MM Glock 45 the the Glock 17 Gen 5 but the +2 thing I find interesting but make complete sense if a Troopers are loaded to 17 round might as well make it 19 rounds that would make it 6 to 8 extra rounds if the Trooper decides either to carry 3 or 4 Magazines in total that includes the Sidearm loaded + one ready out of the holster I can see The GSP getting the Glock 45 being Glock is in their backyard.

Posts: 85 | Location: Bloomington Minnesota | Registered: May 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was just on the Georgia State Patrol Facebook page and looked at some of the photos and did the view larger thing and definitely they have either the Glock 17 Gen 5 or the Glock 45 9MM with the +2 Magazine extension I’m leaning more towards them carrying the 9MM Glock 45 the the Glock 17 Gen 5 but the +2 thing I find interesting but make complete sense if a Troopers are loaded to 17 round might as well make it 19 rounds that would make it 6 to 8 extra rounds if the Trooper decides either to carry 3 or 4 Magazines in total that includes the Sidearm loaded + one ready out of the holster I can see The GSP getting the Glock 45 being Glock is in their backyard.

Whew...punctuation is everybody’s friend.

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Nelson. Snoris, Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
quote:

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:
Thank you, Nelson. Snoris, Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
quote:

Also pass some info you might be interested in. Each Georgia State Troopers are issued to handguns; I was down in Georgia in 2000 they had Gen2 Glock 22 and 27 all their handguns serial numbers are GSP and the Troopers badge numbers.

Current equipment

Glock 17 GEN 4 9mm- standard issue, unsure if the Gen 5 will be adopted soon as Glock is based within the state.
Glock Model 43 9mm- backup weapon
Remington 870 "Police Magnum" 12 gauge- patrol shotgun
AR-15 5.56x45mm NATO- patrol rifle

Previously issued equipment

Glock Model 37 .45 GAP- 2007-2015
Glock Model 22 .40 S&W- 1990's-2007
Smith & Wesson Model 5906 9mm or Smith & Wesson Model 4506 .45 ACP (troopers choice)- early 1990's to late 1990's
Smith & Wesson Model 66 .357 magnum
Colt Python .357 magnum

The Glock 37 was accompanied with a Glock 39
The Glock 17 was previously accompanied by the Glock 42 380 then when the 43 came out they switched to the 9MM version for backup and to have commonality in ammunition.

I was a Police Explorer from 1995-2001 and in 2000 our national competition was held in Atlanta at the Georgia Tech Campus and I spent lots of hanging around with the Georgia State Troopers because I was interested in being a Trooper in Georgia also Tennessee I’m interested in currently.

I hope this isn’t too long of info for you I’m an information overload addict?

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure Glock would give the GSP free guns for the notoriety / pride.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glock Model 45 9mm equipped with a factory Glock +2 magazine extension, a Nightstick TMC-550XL weapons light and Ameriglo Bold night sights - standard issue
Glock Model 43 9mm- backup weapon [5]
Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P 9mm duty ammunition
Remington 870 "Police Magnum" 12 gauge- patrol shotgun
AR-15 5.56x45mm NATO- patrol rifle

Here is some updates from the Georgia State Patrol to help with this topic.

posted Hide Post
Interesting choice of light that I had not seen before. Looks basically like a TLR-7A copy, except it was out before the 7A. Makes me wonder if Streamlight got the idea for the 7A switch from Nightstick.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting that I saw mention of this in 2 different spots today

Here and

I just received a text from a local shooting buddy and he said that was going on a ride alone with his son who is Georgia State Police officer and his carry gun is a Glock 45

RC

Posts: 1938 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post