SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    10-yard pocket/CCW pistol challenge
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

10-yard pocket/CCW pistol challenge Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted
On another forum someone started a "postal match" for pocket/CCW pistols. The stipulation was that G19-sized guns were too big, but G43ish ones were ok. 10 yards standing, 10 shots, B-3 targets, and you can shoot 2 targets per gun if you want.

Thought some might be interested in seeing my results with some smallish handguns.

Shot one target each at 10 yards, standing, in order they appear here:

1KPerDay
97-2X
Kahr PM9
Magtech 115 FMJ
1-31-19

1KPerDay
88-2X
S&W Shield 9mm (Apex DCAEK/trigger)
Magtech 115 FMJ
1-31-19
(hits a bit high; should have held lower)

1KPerDay
47-2X (5 SHOTS)
S&W M&P 340
Herter's .38 Special 158 FMJ
1-31-19

1KPerDay
92-2X
SIG P230 .380 ACP
Mixed brass, 100 grain Berry's HBRN, 3.1 HP-38, S&B SPP
1-31-19

1KPerDay
94-0X
Kel-Tec PF-9 (Northwood trigger)
Magtech 115 FMJ
1-31-19

1KPerDay
96-1X
SIG P225 (I guess technically not a pocket pistol but definitely CC... and about the same size as G43)
Magtech 115 FMJ
1-31-19

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3184 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
Very interesting.
Thank you for taking the time to shoot and post..

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Totally unrelated, but my Son picks up my LCP, the model wo sights, and hits my steel target 90 yards down range! Twice!! It's a piece of truck frame 11"x21" in the humanoid shape, I was amazed!

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDG:
Totally unrelated, but my Son picks up my LCP, the model wo sights, and hits my steel target 90 yards down range! Twice!! It's a piece of truck frame 11"x21" in the humanoid shape, I was amazed!

Not long after they debut'd I watched a deputy buddy ringing a 1 foot round gong at 100 yards with about a 50% success rate with a Glock 27. The misses were near enough that anyone on the receiving end would definitely be keeping their head down.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
So, what's the time hack? Are you drawing from a holster, or from the pocket? From concealment or not?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37083 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
No time limit, not drawing from holster. LCP coming soon hopefully.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
So, what's the time hack? Are you drawing from a holster, or from the pocket? From concealment or not?

Bingo.

These are small CCW pistols. Shooting for accuracy, without a draw, like they are target pistols is...odd.

Akin to putting an SBR in a lead sled, at a square range with wind flags, and testing accuracy like it's a bench rest rifle.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
These are small CCW pistols. Shooting for accuracy, without a draw, like they are target pistols is...odd.

*nod* Doesn't seem particularly useful.

Strings of two or three to COM at seven yards from low ready w/in... say... 3-5 seconds would be more useful/appropriate for such handguns, I should think.

Furthermore: My idea of a "pocket pistol" means something that will fit largely invisibly & comfortably in a normal jeans pocket. Most of the handguns in the OP don't fit that definition.

Not trying to dump on the OP, but this seems largely pointless, IMO.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Kay

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Good shooting...

Damn, you carry all those handguns concealed... seems a tad bulky to me....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Good shooting...

And even using the assumption that in real life and under stress your accuracy will be half as good... still good shooting....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Good shooting...

yep, all at once. I like to be prepared. I carry a Twinkie in my other pocket.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

Strings of two or three to COM at seven yards from low ready w/in... say... 3-5 seconds would be more useful/appropriate for such handguns, I should think.

Furthermore: My idea of a "pocket pistol" means something that will fit largely invisibly & comfortably in a normal jeans pocket. Most of the handguns in the OP don't fit that definition.

You're not trying. You're actually doing it. Wink

Seriously guys, the man was just having a little fun his way. He wasn't trying to simulate anything. He shared his results. He wasn't asking for advice on the best ways to utilize the pocket pistols. No need to rain on his parade.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually the value here is in an accuracy comparison of various small 9mm pistols (and one revolver) in the hands of a very good shot. I agree that in a serious “social situation” a mag dump is the most likely scenario.

Posts: 19 | Location: Northeast Florida | Registered: December 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Yep. FWIW, I think it's a very good, informative and useful post. It shows precisely what it shows. What's that you ask?

The intrinsic mechanical accuracy of many small handguns is quite good. Especially in the hands of a good shooter. That's it...

In my prime, about 20 years ago, I decided to have some fun with my .25 Seecamp. I practiced a lot with it. Then I brought it to one of our weekly defensive shooting sessions at our LGC. Pulled it out when we started man-on-man poppers at seven yards. Held my own. However, really pissed off two guys who had 1911's. Beat both of them. I managed to suppress the big grin and smile. They were friends after all.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
lol that's awesome. The seecamps I've shot didn't have sights. Did yours? If not that's epic!

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Here's the thing. I agree to each their own. But, this was posted as a "challenge". Each of the micro-guns are going to shoot similar at 10 yards. They all have about the same mechanical lock up and will perform similarly. That is the point that many are trying to make. That is the reason I asked the questions I did early on. All the little guns are about the same. The rub is this isn't as much about little guns as it is an exercise in trigger control and patience. From there it becomes a popularity contest....

At 25 yards, there are definite winners and losers. The G43 is a huge turd at 25 yards. The G42 is a huge winner. XDS is another huge winner. And so on.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37083 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It looks like this was meant to be a fun shoot not a tactical drill for SEALS. We can still shoot just for the pleasure of it, can't we? Smile

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Here's the thing. I agree to each their own. But, this was posted as a "challenge". Each of the micro-guns are going to shoot similar at 10 yards. They all have about the same mechanical lock up and will perform similarly. That is the point that many are trying to make. That is the reason I asked the questions I did early on. All the little guns are about the same. The rub is this isn't as much about little guns as it is an exercise in trigger control and patience. From there it becomes a popularity contest....

At 25 yards, there are definite winners and losers. The G43 is a huge turd at 25 yards. The G42 is a huge winner. XDS is another huge winner. And so on.