SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Considering a Glock 29
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Considering a Glock 29 Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
I carry a Glock 26 pretty much exclusively, however, I have a 3" SP101 in .357 that I like for a woods gun. I recently returned from a camping trip out west, and I took both guns. The problem with this is that I was constantly having to worry about securing the one I wasn;t currently carrying in my vehicle. Wheels began turning in my head, and I came to the conclusion that it would be desirable to have one gun that could fill both roles...decent capacity and quick reloads for two-legged problems, and sufficient wallop for the four-legged ones.

This leads me to the G29. I know that although Glock calls it a "subcompact", it's a good deal bigger than my G26. That's not really a concern. What I'm curious about is the ballistics. How much does the 10mm lose being shot out of a sub-4" barrel? Does anyone have any chronograph numbers they could share? Also, can the Glock platform handle some of the stouter 10mm loads, or are those pretty much limited to use in steel-framed guns?

If it's going to end up being basically a bulkier, more expensive .40 I'm not sure it's worth the investment. But if it actually demonstrates some significant performance increase, it may be a viable option.

Posts: 8565 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 29 is closer to the 19 in size. They will handle a mild diet of Buffalo Bore or Underwood ammo. At $1.65 or so per round I can’t do extensive testing. I carry BB, my son carries Underwood in his 29SF. I have never chronographed either load. I carry similar ammo in my Sig P250sc and P239 .40 S&W’s.

Posts: 1988 | Location: metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: July 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I reload, so the cost of ammo isn't really a huge concern to me. Once I get my hands on some brass, it shouldn't cost much more than reloading for .40. that does lead to another question, though...are the Glock 10mm chambers fully supported? I don't want a gun that's going to bulge my brass...

Posts: 8565 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Here are real world 10mm numbers.
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/10mm.html

And here are .40 numbers
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/40sw.html

May help with your decision.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love 10mm, but it will work best with longer barrels. I think I'd get a Glock 30 over a 29 and just stick with .45 ACP.

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred! - Henry Cabot Henhouse III, aka "SuperChicken"

Posts: 132 | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

And here are .40 numbers

Thanks Black, that's exactly what I was looking for, and frankly leads me to believe that there's not enough difference out of the shorter barrel between the .40 and the 10mm (at least with factory loads) to really matter (at least not enough to justify investing in a whole new platform).

In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Why not a bigger gun? Plenty of people carry a Glock 20/21 sized gun as a CHP gun, and that would seem to alleviate your issue with the shorter barrel

FWIW I have a 40 and it’s the best 10mm I’ve ever owned or fired and I’ve had everything from a bren 10 up through the 29 and 20 and modern 1911 versions.

I get that it’s too big probably to chp Smile

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with Kevbo on the Glock 40 10mm. On the Glock 29 v. Glock 30, the Glock 29 gives you ammunition options that offer more penetration / energy than .45 ACP factory ammunition.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Glock 29. Sold it for a Glock 20, the g29 is pretty controllable but I found it too easy to limp wrist. Leather g19 holsters will work. Also be prepared that if you go g29 your after market parts are pretty limited.

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I have a G29 that has been perfect and I don’t know the ballistics vs a longer barrel though this thing throws friggin’ bomb fireballs with the Underwood ammo. One of my factory loads puts out about 775 ft-lbs of force, which would be good enough for anything I can think of that lurks.

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Glock 29 is an excellent woods / backpacker gun. Have a Mitch Rosen shoulder holster that keeps it handy and out of the way. With Underwood ammo can deal with anything that is a serious problem.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Old Vark WSO
posted Hide Post
I have a 29 and a 20 - like them both. Either should be an acceptable camping gun. I bought a KKM stainless 6" barrel for my 20 and can shoot cast bullets with it (although some say it can be safely done in Glock barrels as well - could probably start a whole thread on that subject).

KKM also makes a 4.5" barrel for the 29 - just slightly longer than stock. And their chambers fully support the brass. Food for thought.

Cheers -

OVW

Posts: 75 | Location: Biggest Little City in the World | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the G29 and G30, both same size pistol. The G30 is a great sidearm, and the G29 does offer more options in power, energy, etc. For that size pistol, I'd just go with the G30 if your'e picking one. The G20 is a better choice for 10mm, in my opinion. I recently picked up a G40 in 10mm, 6" bbl, and that's great...though not really something for concealed carry if that's your goal.

You wont' go wrong with either a G29 or G30, and if you don't like it you can always sell it.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

And here are .40 numbers

Keep in mind, some of the loads in that chart are VERY anemic. The buffalo bore is probably the best comparison to underwood. Heck, if you go to the underwood page you'll see some reviews on their bonded 180gr gold dots chronoed out of a G29

quote:

5 shot average of 1228 at 60degs air temp out of a 3.77” Glock29. Definitely the most shootable load out of the 29 that UW offers.

According to the chart the 180gr .40 S&W BBTI tested won't even reach those speeds out of an 18 inch barrel.

Posts: 331 | Location: OH | Registered: September 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went with the G30sf.

If you go that route, Storm Lake makes a .45acp to 10mm conversion barrel.

This allows you at least 2 calibers on one frame, if you choose. If you don't like the 10mm recoil, you can swap back to .45acp and have less 'kick'.

AlphaWolf, Storm Lake and KKM make 10mm to .40S&W conversion barrels which will 'work'.

However, they will have a slight gap to sides of barrel hood- allowing slight amounts of side-side motion in lockup/firing, so not stellar accuracy: but cheaper 'plinking'. Any G29 barrel can work in the G30 slide the same way, but a conversion barrel gets rid of this side-side motion potential.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The .40 conversion by KKM is a good fit and works well.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
The .40 conversion by KKM is a good fit and works well.

Could you clarify: it is a good fit in the G29 slide?

Or, it is a good fit in the G30 slide?

Thanks!

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I would NOT have a problem with my re-loads in my 29 for when I Hog Hunt. I’ll carry it back up and stoke it HOT!! My 200 gr flatnose are deadly and I also use a KKM fully supported barrel.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post