SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Interesting Observation on the 229
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting Observation on the 229 Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
One thing I noticed, in a very limited experience anyway. The 229 is a shooter's gun, meaning you have to address it with all the basic fundamentals, and then it rewards you. Not to say you lack fundamentals, but the gun seems to favor a certain skill set, and maybe you simply have a different approach. On the other hand, the 220 is a drill-press. Anyone can point it, press the lever, and it puts a hole right there.

That's as may be. I had short and long reach trigger variants and tried factory and Hogue grips. They always felt great in the hand and I always felt like I was shooting them well enough... until I picked up literally any other handgun. Can't explain it, and I'm certainly not even in the same time zone as Jerry Miculek, but I put three rounds in a cloverleaf offhand at 25 feet with my Smith 41 two weekends ago, so it's not like the fundamentals aren't there.

I've often scoffed at complaints from shooters about how "a Glock just doesn't fit my hand" as a reason to not bother trying to shoot one because they'd rather have what they perceive as fancier taste in guns. I was one of those guys, and felt that how great the pistol felt in my hand somehow meant something. In the end, what I could do with it mattered, and I decided that focusing on all the fundamentals was showing me great results in pistols I didn't want to like and marginal results in pistols I really wanted to like. I made a practical decision and stopped barking up the wrong tree.

Posts: 17112 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post