SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Interesting Observation on the 229
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting Observation on the 229 Login/Join 
posted
A couple days back I had occasion to visit my old agency for work. I spoke with an old acquaintance who has been teaching firearms and tactics full time at the agency for almost 20 years; before that had a serious career in the military.

I asked him how the agency's experience has been with the 229 over this period. He said that it has been stellar.

What was of interest was his observation that he had more malfunctions with his 1911 pistols in one afternoon at the range than the average member has had in their entire career shooting the 229. To me that was quite an endorsement.

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
P229 = outstanding pistol

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
The day I held a 229 I knew I’d own one. Without firing a shot I loved it. Only a couple months later I bought one from a member here. The hell of it has been resisting the urge to get another. I have a 40, kinda want a 9mm (factory, not interested in the conversion barrel).

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
The day I held a 229 I knew I’d own one. Without firing a shot I loved it. Only a couple months later I bought one from a member here. The hell of it has been resisting the urge to get another. I have a 40, kinda want a 9mm (factory, not interested in the conversion barrel).

You can always get a factory 9mm conversion kit. 9mm slide assembly and magazine. Heck, you could get a 9mm RX conversion kit if you’d like to check out a red dot.

Not that I’m trying to help you spend your money, but... Wink

ETA, you can run P228/P229 9mm mags in a P229 frame with no functional issues, but they have some side to side wiggle room in the well. If that bothers you, you can always get P229-1 magazines.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Yeah I could do all that but I’d rather just have the real deal (and who amongst us wouldn’t rather have another gun).

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Yeah I could do all that but I’d rather just have the real deal (and who amongst us wouldn’t rather have another gun).

I tried to come up with an counterargument, and I simply can't. Very strong case you have made.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Can't argue with any of that. I have quite a few Brown, Wilson and Nighthawk 1911s. They're fine-tuned Swiss watches. My 229 is a Timex that I go to when I want to know the real time.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
The P229 (9mm) was my first ever Sig, bought it way back before I joined SF. Still have it. But hey, I like my 1911s also Wink

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16692 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The DA/SA P-series pistols mark an entire era in firearms development. They did very well.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
My first Sig was a P229 in 357 Sig. My first duty weapon was a P228 TT. Wish I still had them both. In my 19 years of being able to own a handgun, I’ve always had a P228/P229 on me.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Back in the mid 90's, an FFL buddy of mine hooked me up with an early 229 in 9mm when they were relatively new on the block as opposed to .40. The price was a whopping $450 (zero profit to him) and included a 1000 round case of ammo. like an idiot, I traded it off about 12 years ago for a Glock 19C and $200. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but I regret it to this day. It was the perfect balance in weight vs. recoil.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15572 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0658:
A couple days back I had occasion to visit my old agency for work. I spoke with an old acquaintance who has been teaching firearms and tactics full time at the agency for almost 20 years; before that had a serious career in the military.

I asked him how the agency's experience has been with the 229 over this period. He said that it has been stellar.

What was of interest was his observation that he had more malfunctions with his 1911 pistols in one afternoon at the range than the average member has had in their entire career shooting the 229. To me that was quite an endorsement.

Paragraph 3 mirrors my experience to the letter. I'm careful not to say that to folks who carry 1911s because I don't want them to think I'm slagging their system, but it is absolutely true for me and now others. I think the argument can be made that the P229 is perhaps the best production pistol being made today.

Posts: 1091 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 229 is an all-stainless steel version with a "Made in Germany" frame. What a beautiful, heavy duty piece of machinery! Not sure how many were made in that configuration. It's a 40 caliber and I still have not got around to buying a 357 SIG barrel for it but will eventually.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The P229 is an icon. Built upon the cornerstones of the P series reliable operating components. It’s Precision manufacture, excellent accuracy and top-flight reliability are characteristic the P series. The superb bore axis & overall balance are hallmark features bolstered by its smooth double-action trigger press and excellent trigger leverage. The Pistols potential is limited only by the capabilities of its user.

Posts: 13810 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vipers28
posted Hide Post
I will be the first to admit I am very enamored with the 229, especially the 229 SAO model that the Legion offers. This will be added in the future. I have always loved the 228, more specifically the M11 but that is another story.

Posts: 769 | Location: H6 | Registered: December 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a tank. Bought my P229 DA/SA .40 in 1996. Has over 47,000 rounds through it.

Also, none of my 1911's malfunction. Older Colt's and one Wilson Pro. I carry/have carried Sigs, 1911's and Glocks. They all go bang when they're supposed to.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I owned three, including one I had refinished and had a butter-smooth trigger job done to. Hogue G-10’s, new night sights. I loved the way they fit my hand, and how they carried.

I could never shoot them well, sadly, including the one that was worked over. I could shoot my best group, hand it off to anyone I brought to the range with me, and they would shoot a group that put me to shame. I would then pick up my P220 and shoot an even tighter group, and leave the range feeling conflicted.

I really, really liked everything about the P229, but after years of trying and owning several good examples, I never could shoot them worth a darn. But a failure or stoppage? I cannot honestly recall a single one. They’re as reliable as they are solid and beefy.

Posts: 17123 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 229 was one of my 1st pistols and in 13 years and thousands of rounds it has never failed once. And it can shoot the dick off of a mouse on top of it. I shoot .40 and carry .357 sig.
now I’ve been carrying smaller/lighter guns in the past 5 or 6 years but I can’t bring myself to ever part with it

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I owned three, including one I had refinished and had a butter-smooth trigger job done to. Hogue G-10’s, new night sights. I loved the way they fit my hand, and how they carried.

I could never shoot them well, sadly, including the one that was worked over. I could shoot my best group, hand it off to anyone I brought to the range with me, and they would shoot a group that put me to shame. I would then pick up my P220 and shoot an even tighter group, and leave the range feeling conflicted.

I really, really liked everything about the P229, but after years of trying and owning several good examples, I never could shoot them worth a darn. But a failure or stoppage? I cannot honestly recall a single one. They’re as reliable as they are solid and beefy.

One thing I noticed, in a very limited experience anyway. The 229 is a shooter's gun, meaning you have to address it with all the basic fundamentals, and then it rewards you. Not to say you lack fundamentals, but the gun seems to favor a certain skill set, and maybe you simply have a different approach. On the other hand, the 220 is a drill-press. Anyone can point it, press the lever, and it puts a hole right there.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16343 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great feedback on the 229 just picked one up in 40 yesterday an older 1994 model can't wait to take it to the range

Posts: 125 | Location: New York | Registered: April 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post