SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Bug -or- Feature??? Slide release on mag reload.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bug -or- Feature??? Slide release on mag reload. Login/Join 
posted
I thought I had posted this question before.
But I couldn't find it on the Forum.
If this is redundant, I apologize.

I have noticed that both my P250C and M11A1 will drop the slide with an "aggressive" mag reload.
OK, maybe not "aggressive" . . . but when a certain amount of english is used to insert the fresh magazine.
If I recall correctly, my P239 (now the GF's gun) does the same thing.

But it isn't just a forceful reload.
It takes a little bit of twist in the wrist as the mag is inserted and slapped home.
Apparently the mag SLIDE release is hit just right and the slide rides forward, chambering the fresh round.
In my mind, this saves . . .
a) the time of grabbing the slide to yank it back and let it rack forward, and
b) the wear on the slide lock notch of pushing down the slide lock.

My questions:
*Anyone else noticed this on their SIG's ? ? ?
*If so,is this a BUG -or- a FEATURE ? ? ?
*Is it damaging the gun in any way ? ? ?

Thank you for your input.

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not on a Sig, but my VP9 does it fairly frequently. Unfortunately it’s not 100%, so you still need to be ready to slingshot.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It occurs because the slide stays in place as the frame is driven forward (inertia and all that). It’s such a common occurrence with Glocks that many of their users count on its happening and are often disconcerted when it doesn’t. It doesn’t hurt anything except that sometimes shooters who don’t expect it automatically rack the slide and dump a live round on the ground.

I don’t see how it could be a design feature because not everyone uses the same amount of force in the same way to cause it to happen. And if the magazine catch were involved in any way in the process, it would release the magazine.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
My guns do it from time to time no matter the brand. My CZ P10C SR does it everytime.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My apologies. I mis-spoke in the original post.
Not mag release . . . SLIDE lock.
I think I've made the appropriate correction.

Thank you, SIGFREUND, for your input.

Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
My HKs and Steyrs do this as well, on occasion. Pretty common among a lot of modern polymer guns.

dozer

"She's got a cherry-handled pistol in her lollipop pocket." Five Horse Johnson

Posts: 3515 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everything I own will do this occasionally. I mean everything and that's a large and various group. I count on my competition glocks to do it, as it saves time. 9/10 they do. Its completely normal.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
This is what is known as “auto forwarding,” (AF). All but the 2.0 series M&P pistols
Do this, amoung others. I like this feature as it eliminates a step.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2223 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would a new spring on the slide release help?

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
I think it's a bug (I sold a gun that did it because I can't stand it) and I agree with Sigfreund. Almost every week in a match I see someone slam a magazine in expecting the slide to go forward. Some people even stop to look at the gun to make sure the slide is in fact closed. I've also seen people slam the magazine again rather than press the slide lock lever.

I suppose some people think an 'auto forward' reload faster but there is no way it is based on what I've seen.

Posts: 4075 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is nothing more than physics.

A feature would be something the manufacturer intended to occur consistently - not some or most of the time, but all of the time. That clearly is not the case, since no manufacturer claims the slides on their guns will always release when a magazine is inserted.

A "bug" would be an action that occurs even though the manufacturer intended for it not to occur. The M&P 2.0 is the only pistol I am aware of that is specifically designed to prevent slide release when a magazine is inserted. A 2.0 would have a "bug" if its slide released when a magazine was inserted.

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
I love this question as I have been stuggling with it. However, truth be told...it probably doesn't matter.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every semi auto pistol I have ever owned does this from time to time. My Glocks and XDM do it more often than not.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GC70 . . . my "BUG-vs-FEATURE" question was rhetorical. Wink

I realize the SIG's are not designed to do this, and I should have asked:
" If this happens with your gun, do you consider it a BUG (bad thing) or a FEATURE (good thing). "

I actually like it.
As NICK said, it eliminates a step of manipulating the slide during a reload.
But I also admit that it does not happen 100% of the time (as several members have noted).
The P250 seems to do it more consistently than the M11A1.

I'm torn between . . .
a) perfecting the 'magic' of getting the slide to Auto-Forward every time I reload, and
b) having the discipline to properly rack the slide manually during a reload.

The only thing I worried about . . . is this potential damaging to the gun ? ? ?

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I consider this a bug because it's not intentional. If it's not intentional, then it's bound to accelerate wear somewhere.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DukeMinski:
The only thing I worried about . . . is this potential damaging to the gun ? ? ?

I don’t see how it could be. The action is no different than when the shooter manually pulls the slide to the rear and releases it. That causes less wear on the slide catch and intercept notch on the slide than depressing the slide catch lever/stop because friction between the two is eliminated.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Bersa Thunder .380 that would do that every time, pretty much. I don't see a problem. I can't think of a situation where I'd want to insert a mag but leave the slide open.

Posts: 840 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
It's a feature until it doesn't pick up a round one time... then it is a bug.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tha1000,

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
My P30 has done it every time...with certain magazines. However those same mags don't send the slide into battery with tapped loading in my VP9. Later box mags that I've bought with and after adding my VP9 don't launch my P30's slide forward. The only other semi pistol I have that goes into battery at times with a mag load is my Canik, but it only happens occasionally.

Because the behavior is inconsistent and my EDC Glock and its backup G23s don't do it, I consider it an annoyance. So more bug than a 'feature'.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Well said, tha1000 Smile

Similar to cyberiad's comments, it's funny to watch shooters who expect the auto-forward and it doesn't. Most of the folks I see just hit the slide release and move on, but it does take a second for them to process it and you can tell it takes them out of their groove.

M&P 1.0 are the most notorious for doing. I can even auto-forward my M&P Pro simply hitting my strong hand just forward of my wrist with the same motion as if I was seating a mag.

Posts: 12536 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post