SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Shooting My Brother's Lefacheaux Pinfire Revolver
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting My Brother's Lefacheaux Pinfire Revolver Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted
My older brother came up with a Civil War relic Lefacheaux in absolute pristine condition so we did what any curio collector would do.

Run out and purchase a $400 hand loading pin fire kit from Belgium to make it work.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
Cool revolver, never seen or heard of it before now.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
That is awesome!

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is amazing. thank you...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting...

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Very cool- thanks for sharing.

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I guess it's not a gun you'd shoot a hundred round range session with

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing. What a neat old revolver.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
This revolver is the sort that when you shoot an attacker, you shout "halt your shenanigans, or I shall be forced annoy you again!"

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Neat.
I have read about pinfire cartridges since I was a kid, but have never seen on in actual use.

Thanks.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is cool. You need more booolits though. Lol

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
What's involved in handloading a pinfire round??

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
What's involved in handloading a pinfire round??

The cartridge consists six components. A pin, an inner anvil where you place the cap, the outer cartridge, black powder and the heeled projectile.

You place a cap into the anvil, shove it into the case, press the pin through on to the cap, load the powder, then press the bullet into place.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Cool!

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is cool. I remember having an older Guns and Ammo magazine that had one in it and it was a very interesting gun.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one but never shot it. Interesting.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Never heard of that gun before. Thanks for the video.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
I have one but never shot it. Interesting.

Where in the world would you run across one of those?

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Historical note. A dug-up relic condition 7mm Lefacheaux pocket revolver, believed to be the actual gun Vincent van Gogh used to take his own life, sold at auction for $182,000 in 2019.

Mars - What is the cylindrical item pictured beside the percussion cap in your photo? Is the cartridge case a two-piece affair consisting of an inner and outer component? Thanks!

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:

Mars - What is the cylindrical item pictured beside the percussion cap in your photo? Is the cartridge case a two-piece affair consisting of an inner and outer component? Thanks!

Yes, you put the cap in the cup and then insert it into the cartridge shell and then push the pin through.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!