SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Shooting My Brother's Lefacheaux Pinfire Revolver
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting My Brother's Lefacheaux Pinfire Revolver Login/Join 
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Yes, you put the cap in the cup and then insert it into the cartridge shell and then push the pin through.

Fascinating! Kudos & thanks for investing in the reloading kit and sharing your experience with with SIGforum.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing very interesting.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 879 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Here's a photo of completed cartridges.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34082 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There were a lot of pinfire revolvers and shotguns manufactured from the 1850s until WW I. The 1911 ALFA catalog has two pages of pinfire revolvers, but I see no shotguns. They were still selling pinfire shotshells, though.

There was the story of the intrepid French hunter who expected to take a lot of game, so he had a cartridge belt full of pinfire shotgun shells. All was well until he slipped and rolled down an embankment.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
How many reloadable case assemblies do you have? And is anyone making them?

quote:
Here's a photo of completed cartridges.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Got it here. Richard ordered extra components just in case they become unavailable in the future.

http://www.hlebooks.com/pinfire/prices.htm

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34082 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra21:
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
I have one but never shot it. Interesting.

Where in the world would you run across one of those?

We imported them by the thousands during the civil war.

It stayed in the closet in a cigar box all this time. When the residents finally died, the family cleans out the old house and sells everything off. Richard was picking and lucked up on the sale. Heck the people's children are in their 70's selling everything.

It could have been brought in after WWI as even the 1854 models were still in service. The French would have been using the MAS73 and 94 by then, but they were still everywhere, especially Belgium.

However, this one is the simplified manufacture for the US. Nowhere anything like the European versions. The grips are plain, the trigger guard is plain, everything is as simplified as possible.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Long term ammoholic
Picture of gunnutty
posted Hide Post
Very neat, Heard about them but never saw one. Thanks for the video!

Posts: 670 | Location: North Central Arkansas | Registered: February 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Shows how to make a pin fire out of a 45 brass

Posts: 23243 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The French Navy adopted a Lefacheux pinfire in 1858. They were so durable (and paid for) that when the 1873 centerfire (made famous in The Mummy) came out, the 1858s were converted to double action centerfire and soldiered on.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
They were so durable (and paid for) that when the 1873 centerfire (made famous in The Mummy) came out,

Did you say Mummy gun?

Yes, this is the one used in the movie.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
Very interesting thread. Thank you.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2401 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Got it here. Richard ordered extra components just in case they become unavailable in the future.

http://www.hlebooks.com/pinfire/prices.htm

I came across these folk a couple years back when trying to help my grandfather locate components for his Lefacheaux pinfire shotgun.

It’s beautiful engraved piece of art with the trigger guard carved from black rhinoceros horn.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Seen a few pin fires over the years but never knew how they worked. That was very cool. Along that same era was the Savage Figure 8 revolver. I got to handle a fine example of that one. Marsy, have any guns in tit or teet fire? Thats another ignition system I have yet to see work.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post