SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Advise on Grips for a P239
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advise on Grips for a P239 Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted
Just received a P239 from a fellow member here... No problems I always wanted a p239 but have not handled one in a few years... now that I got it I'm thinking the grip is little thin for my taste. Which is interesting since the factory grips on my P226s were too thick and I had to go thinner with them. But this is a single stack 9mm and so I guess that's part of the design... So, I'm asking for suggestions for a slightly thicker grip. I have a couple of other Sigs with Hogue grips and like them but there seem to be too many choices on their web site. I need to narrow it down.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Get the Hogue one-piece finger groove rubber grip, and you will be very happy. Yes, the stock grips of the P239 have always been too thin.

https://www.hogueinc.com/grips...uer/p239/dasa/rubber

Q

Posts: 26341 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Get the Hogue one-piece finger groove rubber grip, and you will be very happy. Yes, the stock grips of the P239 have always been too thin.

What he said. I went that route and have no complaints.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me too Smile the hogue grips work very well IMHO.
Happy Holidays to everyone here BTW.

Posts: 226 | Registered: September 23, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
The Hogue rubber finger groove grips were remarkably better for me and my 239. I have since found the Hogue checkered G10 to be better for me.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I'll join the chorus, Hogue rubber grips with finger grooves:

P239NCleft1k-2 by GaryBF, on Flickr

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Yep, the Hogue's for sure. They really increased my accuracy with the gun, especially the dbl action first shot.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I was kind of leaning that way... the first Sig I ever bought was a Sig P230 at a gun show when I could not decided between a Walther PPK and the Sig and so bought both....there is really no comparison between the two.. I'd go with the Sig hands down... the Sig came with a set of those Hogue grips and the gun fits my hand perfectly...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree I've had the Hogue's on mine since right after I got it years ago.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of P239's at the moment, both in .357 Sig. One uses Hogue aluminum grips, which provide for a secure enough grip that it won't slip unless my hand comes off. The other is a hogue rubber grip with the finger grooves. One of the weird, but endearing qualities of the P239 frame is the flat front strap which makes for a short grip with excellent muscle memory. The rubber finger-grip eliminates that.

Man is it comfy though. I really hate that grip, but I like it too much to take off.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
I have a couple of P239's at the moment, both in .357 Sig. One uses Hogue aluminum grips, which provide for a secure enough grip that it won't slip unless my hand comes off. The other is a hogue rubber grip with the finger grooves. One of the weird, but endearing qualities of the P239 frame is the flat front strap which makes for a short grip with excellent muscle memory. The rubber finger-grip eliminates that.

Man is it comfy though. I really hate that grip, but I like it too much to take off.

The squarrish front strap that you call endearing many of us would call annoying. And, the Hogue grip above solves that problem.

Q

Posts: 26341 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

The squarrish front strap that you call endearing many of us would call annoying. And, the Hogue grip above solves that problem.

I agree! The squared front strap sucks IMO and while the Hogue finger grove grips resolve the issue for me I cannot stand the rubbery grips for CCarry.
I like the Hogue G-10 Piranha grips the best.
If Hogue made a G-10 Piranha finger groove grip for the P239 I'd still own one.

Some have posted liking the Crimson Trace grips for the fitment. While I dislike the CT lasers function and offset aiming the grips do have a good feel to them.

Posts: 18032 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had those Hogues on both my P239’s and while they are comfortable to shoot I find them to cling to clothing. I still have them somewhere and you are welcome to them. Shoot me an email with a mailing address.

Posts: 1988 | Location: metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: July 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put Talon Grips on mine. I like the thinness.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Crimson Trace Laser Grips !!
Hands down the best feeling grips I’ve ever had on a 239.
If you don’t care for the laser aspect I’d look for a non-working set .

My .02¢

Side by side with stock grips

Stock width

CTG

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Hogue G10s took my 239 from a gun I didn't like very much at all to one of my favorites.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never tried the Hogue finger grooves, but really like the G10's I have on my P239. I'd like to give the CT grips a try some day, heard nothing but good things about them too.

Posts: 759 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm somewhat of a contrarian on grip selection and subjective "feel" of handguns. In 50 years of defensive handgun shooting I've learned all that matters is how well you actually shoot the gun.

How the gun subjectively "feels" in the hand has no correlation with how well you can shoot it. I'm talking about mechanics, not psychology. If a shooter convinces himself that "I hate this gun.", chances are he's not going to shoot it very well either.

Some random examples:

1) P239. Don't like the feel of any of the available grips. Doesn't matter.
Have used factory, Hogue rubber and G10. Factory grips too slippery. Hogue rubber too bulky and caught on clothing in IWB. Plus grooves in wrong place. G10's are slimmer but provide superb grip under recoil. Skateboard tape on front strap and G10 back strap lock in the gun. Shoots like my big Sigs.

2) Glocks. Hate the feel of the grip.
Glocks tend to be sensitive to bad grip inputs, regardless of whether you love or hate them. Only gun I ever owned that was like that. Finally overcame the problem and shoot them pretty well now. Just have to work harder than any of my other guns.

3) P229. Grip is too fat for my hands.
Shot my 1995 .40 very well for around 18 years with factory grips. Since it was my primary gun, I adapted to the fat grip. Now has G10's and GGI trigger. Not as fat now and I still shoot it very well. Just easier.

4) P226 E2 grips. Loved the feel of the grips. Ended up being grip sensitive for me under certain conditions. Switched to G10's and GGI trigger. Perfection.

Somewhat unrelated to grips, is an old Mosquito I owned. WORST trigger pull ever, BEST feeling grip ever. Hated the trigger, but I could consistently get fist size groups out of the bugger at 7-10 yards from the holster at speed. Go figure.

Never tried the Crimson Trace for the P239. A lot of folks really love them. I believe the only issue is ya gotta pay for the laser if all you want is the grips.

All that matters is hits. If you can get them consistently at speed, nothing else matters.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll second the choice of Crimson Laser Grips as Grumpy Biker suggested. I have them on several firearms including my P-239.

Posts: 248 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: November 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 00464b
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Sauer Kraut:
quote:

What he said. I went that route and have no

complaints.

I'm another convert to these grips.

Posts: 658 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: July 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post