SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    De-cocking: Manual versus device
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

De-cocking: Manual versus device Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I heartily apologize for ambiguity in the opening post.

IN NO WAY was I suggesting that a de-cocker on a handgun ( like a P239 or de-cock-only Beretta) so equipped be ignored.

I was wondering about the need for the design to begin with.

Posts: 15893 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
Is this seriously a discussion?

That was my thought. I don't understand the question.

Yes, if the firearm is designed with a decocker, it should be used, and I can't imagine why one would lower the hammer on a live round without decocking.

If the firearm has no decocker, then lowering to a half-notch seems pointless, and if no half-notch, lowering onto a live round both unwise and dangerous.

Some insist that when moving between targets on a range, such as shooting a stage of steel, one de-cocks before moving, and I find that ridiculous overkill. De-cocking before returning to the holster or when firing, yes. But not when moving between targets. It's tying one's hand behind the back.

If the decocker is part of the pistol system, part of the manual of arms, part of the design and inherent function of that pistol, then use it. Why would one not??

I treat a decocker like a safety. Sights off target, I decock. In addition I hit hit the decocker every time I bring the gun off target or before holstering, whether I fired or didn't fire. It helps build muscle memory, and helps limit the chance of holstering a cocked weapon.

Posts: 525 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
I heartily apologize for ambiguity in the opening post.

IN NO WAY was I suggesting that a de-cocker on a handgun ( like a P239 or de-cock-only Beretta) so equipped be ignored.

I was wondering about the need for the design to begin with.

For a defensive DA/SA firearm without a safety or if you want to use DA mode, it is an absolute necessity.

Posts: 525 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Then I’d say the reasons for needing the design to begin with are the same reasons why one having it already absolutely shouldn’t be ignored.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post