SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    De-cocking: Manual versus device
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

De-cocking: Manual versus device Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
Have you ever experienced ( or been present alongside) an accidental discharge while manually lowering the hammer on any pistol or revolver?

After several decades of using handguns with de-cockers and those without, I wonder just how valuable the de-cockers are.

Perhaps they seemed like a good idea when training groups of LE and/or military who've no experience with DA/SA revolvers.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't.

Of course, I grew up in an age when lever actions didn't have a safety and single actions didn't necessarily have a transfer bar, so one learned to be careful.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you ever experienced ( or been present alongside) an accidental discharge while manually lowering the hammer on any pistol or revolver?

Yes, I was running a pistol shoot and had a shooter who informed me that he was "in the Army and knew how to shoot" try to lower the hammer on his Bersa .380 by pressing the trigger and lowering the hammer manually - he discharged a round down range.

I worked for a PD that issued SIG pistols DA/SA with de-cockers we trained our officers hard to use the de-cocker.

De-cockers are there for a reason.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
If the weapon has a decocker use it, it's a much safer way to get to safe for reholstering. When training in the summertime with the sweat, I would not trust the ease down the hammer. If I cooked one off the instructor would throw me off the range ASAP. Sig as well as other manufactures designed them to be used. Many of the modern firearms have a hammer block that will engage as you are lowering the hammer but older guns may not have the feature. Anytime I get a new firearm I play without ammo till I'm comfortable with it's operation, my life may depend on it. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ 83 15 round .32 ACP with a safety but no decocker. I put my finger between the hammer and firing pin, pull and then release the trigger, and then slowing move my finger so the hammer is fully depressed. I have never had a problem, but I would rather have had a decocker on this pistol. I tried at the range and pointing downrange pulling the trigger slighthy releasing the hammer, releasing the trigger and then dropping the hammer. After 25 tries I could not induce a dischage. YMMV

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 879 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand the issue existing in revolvers, but I cannot imagine why anyone would manually lower the hammer on a DA/SA gun equipped with a decocker. Use of the decocker becomes engrained in the muscle memory, just like riding the hammer when reholstering or clicking the safety on a SAO pistol. I have trained until I do both without any conscious thought depending on which pistol I have in my hand.

I have never been around anyone who has manually lowered the hammer on a DA/SA pistol, therefore never witnessed a ND. That said, I am sure it happens because every training session and competition I have attended the range officer/instructor always covers the use of the decocker when they see I am using a P226.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've shot a CZ75 in IDPA SSP and USPSA Production, lowering the hammer for every stage in match and practice. No slips, no bangs.
For a while I carried a 1911 in Condition 2. No slips, no bangs.
Note that these were a "pre-B" CZ with prominent hammer spur, and a Commander with GI wide spur hammer installed for the purpose. Burr hammers get trickier, but still common in IPSC and more and more in USPSA.

But if the gun has a mechanical decocker, use it. SIG Sauer used to warn against easing the hammer on P guns, you could override the internal safeties.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Regardless of preference, using the decockers allows the firing pin to remain blocked by the trigger bar safety. Thumbing the Hammer forward raises the trigger bar safety and then you have a pistol that could go off with a strike to the hammer.

That's my main reason for using the de ocker 100%of the time.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Decockers are faster, simpler and more certain. When a Makarov seems better than a CZ75, that's saying something. And yes, decocking the Makarov blocks the firing pin.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The incidence of accidents by doing so is irrelevant to the practice. With revolvers, there is no choice if the hammer has been cocked and needs to be de-cocked. In my own case, all my defensive revolvers have been de-horned or modified to DAO, so it's a non-issue.

With a decocker, I have no idea why anyone would choose to decock with the thumb on the hammer. Has anybody noticed the finger is on the TRIGGER when using this method?

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I thought it was the hammer dropper...?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Regardless of preference, using the decockers allows the firing pin to remain blocked by the trigger bar safety. Thumbing the Hammer forward raises the trigger bar safety and then you have a pistol that could go off with a strike to the hammer.

That's my main reason for using the de ocker 100%of the time.

This. Manually decocking the pistol without using the decocker bypasses the internal safeties in place to prevent a discharge. The designers and engineers really know what they are doing when including a decocker.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSAreGreat:
I have a CZ 83 15 round .32 ACP with a safety but no decocker. I put my finger between the hammer and firing pin, pull and then release the trigger, and then slowing move my finger so the hammer is fully depressed. I have never had a problem, but I would rather have had a decocker on this pistol. I tried at the range and pointing downrange pulling the trigger slighthy releasing the hammer, releasing the trigger and then dropping the hammer. After 25 tries I could not induce a dischage. YMMV

I just brought home a Beretta 84 Cheetah yesterday with the same configuration; manual safety but no decocker. This is not something I'm used to so it will take a lot of practice for me to safely lower that hammer manually!

FWIW, I'm using exactly the same method... finger between hammer and firing pin, pull and release trigger, then lower hammer to intercept notch. I definitely don't feel comfortable doing it as I've always had pistols with decocking levers, and Beretta wisely added one on the 84F (the upgraded version of mine), but I'll learn it and become comfortable with it... and exercise EXTREME caution while doing so!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
All of my pistols are SAO.

I would eject the mag, then rack the slide to eject the round in the chamber, keeping the pistol pointed down range. With my SIG P238, I can rack the slide with the safety in the SAFE position.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an accidental discharge while lowering the hammer on my CZ 75b. 100% my fault, had decocked it hundreds of times before, just being nonchalant while doing it. Shot a hole through 2 walls in the house. I'm very careful when I do it now.

Posts: 108 | Registered: January 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the gun has a decocker there is no good reason not to use it 100% of the time. It maintains the safety mechanisms and is faster and easier (especially under stress) on top of that.

100% up side potential, zero downside potential.

If we're talking SAOs and revolvers, I'd first re-assess my manual of arms to determine what situations (if any) where I'd be manually lowering the hammer on a loaded chamber and if it should ever even be necessary at all.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

I figured someone out there would recall... Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is this seriously a discussion?

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
Is this seriously a discussion?

That was my thought. I don't understand the question.

Yes, if the firearm is designed with a decocker, it should be used, and I can't imagine why one would lower the hammer on a live round without decocking.

If the firearm has no decocker, then lowering to a half-notch seems pointless, and if no half-notch, lowering onto a live round both unwise and dangerous.

Some insist that when moving between targets on a range, such as shooting a stage of steel, one de-cocks before moving, and I find that ridiculous overkill. De-cocking before returning to the holster or when firing, yes. But not when moving between targets. It's tying one's hand behind the back.

If the decocker is part of the pistol system, part of the manual of arms, part of the design and inherent function of that pistol, then use it. Why would one not??

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post