SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Gen 4 and up Glock mag release
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gen 4 and up Glock mag release Login/Join 
TANSTAAFL
posted
Has anyone found a good extended mag release for the gen 4 and up Glocks? I have short thumbs and the gen 3 extended release (stock on g34) is perfect. I bought a gen 4 g19 and my thumb can’t engage it without twisting the gun in my grip. I tried the Glock extended version, no real change. Local ffl has one with a different aftermarket extended one and it sticks out more in the front but not the back where my short thumbs can hit. Maybe I need to stick with gen 3, but I’m hoping someone else has found a good one.

Posts: 715 | Location: Baltimore til I can get out of there. | Registered: June 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
According to Glock's web site, Gen 4&5 pistols have reversible mag catches. I too have smaller hands and i find it easier to release the mag catch with my trigger finger. I don't have to shift the gun as much to reach it. I started this years ago when I was using a 357 sig p239 in an IDPA match. The gun is top heavy and it really felt insecure when shifting the gun to reach the mag catch. When I got home I immediately reversed the mag catch. Suggest you try that...

Posts: 248 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: August 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glock makes one, but it's extended 0.5 mm. I use the Ghost one that looks like factory in all of my gen 4 guns and really like it.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buddy357:
Local ffl has one with a different aftermarket extended one and it sticks out more in the front but not the back where my short thumbs can hit.

Check out the Vickers extended mag release. It sticks out in the back, not the front.

https://tangodown.com/vickers-...azine-catch-gmr-003/

I have the Vickers on several of my Glocks, and I'm very happy with it. I'd put it on my duty gun, if I was allowed to.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
I second the recommendation of the Vickers Tactical mag release. It is the first thing that gets changed out on all of my Gen4 Glocks.

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
I’ll give the Vickers a try, it looks like what I need. I already tried the Glock version.

Posts: 715 | Location: Baltimore til I can get out of there. | Registered: June 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phred:
I second the recommendation of the Vickers Tactical mag release. It is the first thing that gets changed out on all of my Gen4 Glocks.

X3!

On *Gen3s*, I used to buy Vickers, not any more.
Now I just round off the edges of a Glock factory ext mag catch which is $4 not $16. They're the same length.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vickers works for me on my Gen4 G19 & 34. And I have small hands.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
I ended up getting a Cruxord. It’s an aluminum one similar to the Vicker’s. And it works. Put it in tonight, very happy so far.

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I've gone to the MARS ambi release on a couple of my Glocks, so I can use my strong hand index or middle finger to activate the release. Call it the revenge of the VP9, as I've really taken to using that gun's right lever release with the fingers on my strong hand rather than trying anything with the thumb.

So far I'm fairly pleased with it but I did have to take a heat gun to my holster to ease surface pressure off of the right release button. I've discovered that some RH Kydex holster designs were NOT formed for such an elongated release that extends so far forward of the right side of the gun's grip, making it too easy to inadvertently release the magazine from the locked position when sitting down and as a consequence putting pressure onto the side of the holster (and ultimately transferring it to the gun's ambi release).

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buddy357:
I ended up getting a Cruxord. It’s an aluminum one similar to the Vicker’s. And it works. Put it in tonight, very happy so far.

Buddy357 - Thanks for posting this option...Just ordered one to try.....Mark

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The button on the CruxOrd certainly looks very similar in profile to the Vickers.

My concern would be that by replacing the plastic mag catch with a metal piece, you'll need to keep a closer eye on your plastic magazines to ensure the cutout for the catch isn't getting too worn.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ndz or the zev

Posts: 503 | Registered: January 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post