SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Need advice on new 10mm pistol
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need advice on new 10mm pistol Login/Join 
Picture of ksss
posted Hide Post
I had a Delta Elite in 10mm in the late 80's. It was stainless, really a beautiful handgun. It was not an easy gun to shoot. I recall the recoil seeming to twist the handgun in your hand. That was with the hot original 10mm ammo. Assuming the current Delta Elite is much as the first, I would pass.

Posts: 390 | Location: idaho | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DirectDrive:
I have a G20.4 and a Tangfoglio Stock III (blue)
Like them both and the Tanfo is quite the looker.
All steel too.
Oh I like this pistols sights. Is its front blade just black or did they go mucking it up with dots ? And this appears to be a 9 not a 10.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I have a Glock 29 and a Springfield TRP in 10mm. Really like them both. A DW Bruin would be sweet too!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking G20 is going to be one of my next pistols.

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
I am leaning toward the Sig 220 two tone. I will probably use this for target, plinking, general goofing around, and possibly hunting...I have a 220 and a 245 in .45 acp and love them.
I once owned a 220 new in box in .30 Luger. But Tom, the owner of Top Gun Supply, made me an offer I could't refuse.

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Oh I like this pistols sights. Is its front blade just black or did they go mucking it up with dots ? And this appears to be a 9 not a 10.
David,
Most all of the EAA Witness Elite Large frame offerings are available in 9MM, 38 SUPER, 40 S&W, 10MM Auto and 45 ACP.

A quick top-end change is usually all that is necessary to switch calibers. The front blades are just black, but they are easily interchangeable with a single set screw.

The Super Sight is my favorite rear sight offering on the Tangfolio pistols, but they have migrated some of the models away from that rear sight during the same era that they were adding equipment rails to the frames of many models

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
This is where I landed. It shoots the tightest group of any of my pistols and is heavy enough to tame recoil from hot loads. I won't be making it my EDC, though.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
I can heartily recommend the Glock 40 MOS.

And with an Alaskan chest rig it is the cat's meow for protection in bear country.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 10mm pistol experiences:

My brother's S&W 1076. Not easy to shoot, marginally accurate, empties landed in the next county.

Two Glock Model 20s. One an early one that had far less case head support than later models. Good accuracy, Glock reliability, didn't fit my hand that well; these were before the interchangeable backstraps.

Colt Delta. Never shot it and traded it off because I thought it was a typical 1980's POS Colt with poor case head support, which the Delta's still have. I know: Probably not a fair assessment without having shot it but still my opinion.

Kimber Stainless Target II. Reliable and accurate. Kimber uses (or did) the same recoil spring weight in their 10mm's that they use in their .45's (16.5 pounds) which doesn't seem right to me unless you stick with .40 S&W level loads. For some reason, they also put an extended ejector on the pistol. Once I installed a 22-pound recoil spring and standard ejector, I was very pleased, and I didn't have to take a taxi to go pick up my empties.

Dan Wesson Silverback. Like the Kimber, it has a ramped barrel with excellent case head support. Wonderful accuracy and reliability, proper recoil spring. Great pistol. So nice I worry about getting it soaked and busting brush while carrying.

Springfield XDM 5.25. I'm in love! Have only had it about three months and have less than 300 rounds through it, but it's treading on the heels of the DW for accuracy with a few handloads, fits my hand well with the interchangeable grips, good case head support and perfect reliability. For a striker-fired gun I like the trigger more than the Glock.

General: My personal threshold for 10mm is at least 1200 fps with a 180 grain bullet (XTP or Gold Dot) with respective velocity adjustments for changes in bullet weight. Ninety-five percent of my shooting is with handloads, and I like adjustable sights because I play with different bullet weights. Because I handload and like to recover my empties (on the range; I don't care about field use), I like the cases to land within a reasonable distance. I really wish I would have weighed the slides of the different pistols to see the correlation between slide weight and ejection distance.

Like I said, I'm really liking the XDM.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
mesabi,
The 10mm Forum has what you are looking for concerning slide weights for some common 10mm handguns.

http://10mm-firearms.com/10mm-...-handgun-spec-sheet/

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1537 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent! Thanks for that.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I had a S & W 1006. Gave it to a family member.
I had a Colt Delta Elite, sold it.
Still have a S & W 1076. It's not a "perfect 10" but it is relatively compact.
Then I got the SIG Stainless Elite 10mm SAO.
It's one of my favorites!
But the real 10mm sleeper is the recent production stainless Ruger Blackhawk with the 6.5" bbl and two cylinders in 10mm & .40 S & W.
I don't know if it's the extra sight radius or if the Ruger is just mechanically perfect.
The SIG is an accurate pistol but the Ruger easily outshoots it.
And the best part? The Ruger is half the money of the SIG.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1537 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had 10mm in 1911's, three colts, one ruger, one Fusion, one Kimber, one Dan Wesson and 1 Wilson Combat, I sold them all when I got a Sig 220 in 10mm. There is no comparison as far as I am concerned.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the replies so far. I really don't like Glocks. I tried several ties. Although probably the most reliable handgun ever made, to me they have no soul. Like stareing into the eyes of a shark, it is a cold, dead, efficient, tool that is VERY good at what it does. Like an expensive carpenters hammer. But they do nothing for me.
Compare that to my 228. It seems like a loving devoted pet that is eager to please and I get great feelings shooting it. Not to mention real pride of ownership, outstanding accuracy and, crazy as it seems, goes out of it't way to make me a better shooter then I really am. As I re-read this I realize it sounds kinda crazy, but I bet this is common among a lot of us.

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
My Tanfo Hunter is the sweetest shooting pistol I own. Seems like it would fit the bill for you.

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sigwally, you will be glad to hear that I have chosen the Sig 220 Elite SAO 10MM. It has the adjustable sights, and those Rosewood grips are soothing to the soul.

Posts: 1 | Registered: November 20, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
mrhunterken is an old and dear friend from the communist state of New Jersey. Welcome to the forum! And superb choice in 10mm auto pistols.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum mrhunterken and congrats on your P220. Here is mine and it is spot on.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All great responses but just curious, why no recommendations for the Sig Tac Ops 1911 in 10mm ??
I happen to have one on hold at my local dealer. I had him put it aside for me so I could do a little research on it. If I saw it as a recommendation on this thread it would have impressed me but nobody mentioned it.
Anyone have one ?? Shoot one ?? Still up in the air as to whether to grab it so any responses would help.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Can't say that I've ever seen a Sig 1911 in 10mm. Not really shopping for another 1911 as I have six 1911s in various configurations. Two of them are 10mm.

Would the local dealer let you dry fire it, handle, inspect, etc.. while you are there?

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post