SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Need advice on new 10mm pistol
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need advice on new 10mm pistol Login/Join 
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted
Gentleman, what would be your choice for a new 10mm auto pistol. There are so many excellent choices now that the round is ( once again ) gaining popularity. I am interested in possibly the Sig 220, Colt 1911 Delta Elite And/or firearms of this quality level. Of course accuracy, reliability, and high quality are paramount. Please advise and thank you.

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I like the 5" P220 better than any others. Big Glock would fit my budget better. Get more rounds too to make up for my lack of shooting practice.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Bought a 220 full size a few years back. Promptly sent it to The SIG Armorer for a tune. I LOVE it.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What are you going to do with it? I LOVE my G20.4 for backpacking. It handles the big bear loads fine and is quite accurate and reliable. Parts are cheap and theres plenty of accessories etc for them.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
EAA Witness Elite Match would get my vote.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Solid 10mm 1911 at a reasonable price the Ruger.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1529 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What are you using it for? As a woods gun Glock 20, or Glock 40.

For a 1911 you just can’t go wrong with the ruger. But I’d get a 220 over that.
But I feel damn good about 15+1 rounds in my G20 whenever I take it into the woods, it’s a nice shooting pistol once you put new sights/maybe a couple trigger upgrades on it.

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a G20.4 and a Tangfoglio Stock III (blue)
Like them both and the Tanfo is quite the looker.
All steel too.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hard to argue against the G20. The Ruger, in either 1911 or GP100 is an excellent choice, too.
if my budget was closer to 1K, I would opt for a Sig.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I say save your pennies and get a Dan Wesson “ Bruin” and be the bad boy on the block. Otherwise a Glock 20 is hard to beat in the field!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
Springfield Armory TRP Operator

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I have several 10mm pistols;
G20 & G40 (both gen4),1911s from RIA and Ruger, and a P220 (DA/SA).
As much as I like the P220 (I have a few in 45 as well), what I usually pick up when headed to my range, and even for carry, is my RIA. Length of ownership is second only to my G20, and I have the most rounds through the RIA. Admittedly, the first pistol I got from RIA was a lemon. But they swapped it out for a new pistol and it has been 100% so far.
The RIA is also the heaviest of the 10mm pistols that I own. It really soaks up the recoil.
I know you are looking several tiers above the RIA, so I guess in short I will recommend something in a 1911 pattern pistol.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Out of all that are available: P220. I once owned a G20 and was not comfortable to shoot at all. Sold it after less than a month.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“You will buy a Glock”

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up the P220 reverse two tone a couple of years ago . Then sent back to Sig and had the nitron blasted off the slide, then to the Sig Armor and Robert milled the slide and installed a trijicon red dot. I am still new to the forum and cant post pics but its a beauty and I am hoping to take a deer with it this year. As experienced shooters older than me have said, the red dot sights are almost cheating.

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWALLY:
...accuracy, reliability, and high quality are paramount...

Would be hard to argue against wanting a 2011 in 10mm.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My next pistol acquisition is planned to be a Ruger SR1911 in 10mm. If I had my druthers it'd be a Dan Wesson Silverback, but that's a bit too spendy for my budget.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
I've had some 10mm guns including 610 and 1006. I'm not a Glock guy exactly. That said, the G20.3 is the best utility 10 I've had. No trouble unless you had nuclear loads and a light. A Dan Wesson is still on the list, though.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
My next pistol acquisition is planned to be a Ruger SR1911 in 10mm. If I had my druthers it'd be a Dan Wesson Silverback, but that's a bit too spendy for my budget.

I handled the Ruger 10mm and the Colt Delta a few days ago.
The Ruger with its bull barrel is noticeably heavier.
Of those two, I'd buy the Ruger.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
The steel Tanfoglio pistols are easy to shoot, accurate and aren't as expensive as some other brands. There has been some interest in the full size polymer version on a dedicated 10mm site. Stay away from the compact model. It is hit or miss as to reliability.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post