SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P229 NCIS Commemorative SIG - Pics
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P229 NCIS Commemorative SIG - Pics Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
Posting these pics for member Nciswit. It's his personal pistol. This is from the SIG Sauer Commemorative Engraving Program that SIG does from time to time. The NCIS firearm division had SIG do these pistols, just prior to them switching from the M11 (P228) to the P229, according to Nciswit.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like it .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Nicely done, IMO.

Thanks for sharing, I have ever seen one.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I also like it. Very unique.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 00464b
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I want one.

Posts: 658 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: July 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
wow, wish they'd do one of those for the Military Police....

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bolo4tom:
wow, wish they'd do one of those for the Military Police....

Read the info link in the OP. Also, some ordering info here, https://www.sigsauer.com/wp-co...arm-Request-2018.pdf

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I'm unclear on this...is/ was this gun an issued duty gun ordered in this configuration or is it part of an agency commemorative group buy? This gun doesn't seem to show any of the typical wear I would associate with an issued duty/ carry gun.

Interesting to see the AM SN prefix as I wasn't aware that any of the AM series had accessory rails or were marked "DE" but, in referencing the SN list, I see that some were. I also find it interesting that this blue box gun has what appears to be closed cell foam rather than the typical open cell foam that I'm familiar with.

Looks like a really nice gun! Cool

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you 12131 for your help posting the pics and as always your wisdom. Additional info, pistols all came shipped with three mags (I just tossed the others in box)tube of lube, gun lock, typical Sig manuals/swag, and a copy of the government manual of arms for it. Basically like the USSS manual but with NCIS logos. While a NIS Agent I was issued and carried the M11 both CONUS and OCONUS with 114gr Speer Gold Dots. First time I actually shot the DAK was when I transferred to the Postal Inspectors and actually found I shot very well with it; shocked me at first. This pistol pictured was offered to active and retired agents (up to three could be ordered) just prior to the switch. Active agents could carry on duty, the agency’s had just authorized a very well thought-out and liberal Personally Owned Weapons Policy. We ordered thru the HQ firearms guys and for active agents the pistols were shipped to the office armorer for retired agents to an FFL in local area. I have not actually shot mine, not due to any “collecting” ideas, more like being lazy. As for the box, that is exactly how it shipped, other than outer cardboard. I purchased two and it seamed as if most people who ordered one did the same. I do know that a few years later they did the same with STI on a 1911. Anyway thanks to 12131 for helping me post them so the forum could see it.

Posts: 88 | Registered: December 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
I'm unclear on this...is/ was this gun an issued duty gun ordered in this configuration or is it part of an agency commemorative group buy? This gun doesn't seem to show any of the typical wear I would associate with an issued duty/ carry gun.

Nciswit can correct me, if I'm wrong, but these were ordered from SIG and made as brand new guns, not government issued.

quote:
Interesting to see the AM SN prefix as I wasn't aware that any of the AM series had accessory rails or were marked "DE" but, in referencing the SN list, I see that some were. I also find it interesting that this blue box gun has what appears to be closed cell foam rather than they typical open cell foam that I'm familiar with.

AM series ran from 5 digits all the way to 6 digits. Wouldn't expect the 5-digit series to have rail. But, the 6-digit series does have rail. Nciswit's gun's serial number would probably put it around 2009/2010. This also was the time that SIG used the railed frame of the P229 to make the P228R.

My P229s:

AM12305 [AE]04 - no rail
AM12306 [AE]04 - no rail
AM163268 [BA]10 - rail

Q

posted Hide Post
12131, correct not agency issued, but could be carried on duty if desired. As for date you hit it right on the head for year, as I recall getting this sometime in late 2009 early 2010. I can’t recall if the other one is a digit earlier or a digit later. I due recall the ones for our group were all in sequential numerical order.

Posts: 88 | Registered: December 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:

Nciswit can correct me, if I'm wrong, but these were ordered from SIG and made as brand new guns, not government issued.

quote:
Interesting to see the AM SN prefix as I wasn't aware that any of the AM series had accessory rails or were marked "DE" but, in referencing the SN list, I see that some were. I also find it interesting that this blue box gun has what appears to be closed cell foam rather than they typical open cell foam that I'm familiar with.

AM series ran from 5 digits all the way to 6 digits. Wouldn't expect the 5-digit series to have rail. But, the 6-digit series does have rail. Nciswit's gun's serial number would probably put it around 2009/2010. This also was the time that SIG used the railed frame of the P229 to make the P228R.

My P229s:

AM12305 [AE]04 - no rail
AM12306 [AE]04 - no rail
AM163268 [BA]10 - rail

Besides the lack of wear the box label didn't indicate a "G" model and so I assumed it was an agency commemorative group buy...but still... a very nice gun that would do any collection proud!

Yeah, that was the other thing that threw me a little bit, the 6 digit SN. I once owned a limited release (50 made) early AM prefix 5 digit SN with no rail and no "DE" marking and just assumed that all the AM series were similar...but it appears that the AM series ran for several years and the markings changed through the series.

Regarding the box foam, did the blue box guns switch to the closed cell foam at some point?

As always, thanks for sharing your input 12131!

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nciswit:
Sorry guys, rough few days, in my prior post I meant late 2009/early 2010.

Just a suggestion, but you could just save yourself a few key strokes and a little less clutter in the thread by simply editing the inaccurate information in the post.

It's one thing to watch Hollywood's Agent Gibbs and his crew solve crimes while using SIGs, but It's always interesting to get some "inside baseball" type factual info on some of the iconic .gov agencies so thanks for taking the time to share info on NCIS and USPIS and for sharing the pics and congratulations on owning a fine gun! Smile

Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
thank you 12131..i was enamored with the pics and looked completely over the link. 25 minimum order. id love to have the silver level and im gonna hit up all my fellow MP's and see if we can get enough together to do a group buy. ill contact Sig tomorrow on current prices. thanks again

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, that was the other thing that threw me a little bit, the 6 digit SN. I once owned a limited release (50 made) early AM prefix 5 digit SN with no rail and no "DE" marking and just assumed that all the AM series were similar...but it appears that the AM series ran for several years and the markings changed through the series.

The "DE" marking (for Deutschland) was a new requirement starting in 2009 on German made guns, from my reading somewhere on the internet. All the German SIGs made since 2009, whether just the frame or complete gun, have that "DE" rollmark.

2018 SIG X6 Skeleton:

2013 P228 SS frame:

2010 P225:

2010 P220 MSE:

This P228 from 2000 has no "DE".

These 1994 P229s with German frames have no "DE".

Q

It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
That’s very cool!

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1680 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Thanks for sharing!

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

The "DE" marking (for Deutschland) was a new requirement starting in 2009 on German made guns, from my reading somewhere on the internet. All the German SIGs made since 2009, whether just the frame or complete gun, have that "DE" rollmark.

When the "DE" marked guns first started to appear there was a thread on the subject. I just searched my notes on one external drive but couldn't find it so it may be on a different drive that recently broke. My (flawed) memory is that the country designator codes aren't just a German requirement but a European Union requirement in which all EU member countries manufacturing guns or importing guns in from outside the EU countries require a country designator code. 2009 sounds about right too...I seem to recall that the "DE" marked SIGs appeared about two years after SIGARMS transitioned to the name SIG Sauer, and after they implemented the lifetime warranty and after they first started to print the manufacturing dates on the box labels.

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
While researching the "DE" topic above I came across this post in my notes and thought, given the topic, it might be fun to repost.

This SIG Sauer press release is from 11 years ago.

(note: the old URL link is broken)

https://www.shootingwire.com/s...tml?releaseID=129135

NCIS Awards SIG SAUER New Firearms Contract

EXETER, New Hampshire – SIG SAUER®, the leading manufacturer of law enforcement and military firearms and the recipient of numerous law enforcement and federal contracts, is pleased to announce that they have been awarded a major pistol contract with the Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS).

NCIS contract calls for over 2,000 pistols to replace the aging fleet of refurbished M11 (SIG P228) pistols purchased more than 15 years ago. The contract represents the first “new” pistol procurement for NCIS agents since the agency’s inception. The new P229 and P239 models will be chambered in .40S&W and fitted with SIG SAUER’S exclusive DAK™ trigger system.

The mission of NCIS is to investigate, resolve, and mitigate criminal, terrorist, and intelligence threats affecting the war-fighting capabilities of the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps. NCIS has approximately 2,400 personnel, including 1,200 special agents, in over 150 locations around the world.

"It’s my honor to receive the first of what will be a total of over 2,000 SIG SAUER .40 S&W caliber weapons destined for NCIS,” stated Ralph Blincoe, NCIS Deputy Director of Management and Administration. “As a federal law enforcement agency with a worldwide mission and presence, we are thrilled that SIG SAUER has been identified to supply our new generation of handguns. NCIS special agents have been carrying the SIG SAUER M11 pistol for almost 15 years, and we are excited that the Department of the Navy is making this investment to upgrade our weapons to insure that our operators are better equipped. I am also very impressed with SIG SAUER, Inc., President and CEO, Ron Cohen, and his team. It is clear that their "customer first" approach has already paved the way for a continued and superb partnership."

The contract represents a collaborative effort between the Naval Surface Warfare Center – Crane Division, Immigration Customs and Enforcement (ICE), Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS), and SIG SAUER, Inc.

"We are very proud that NCIS, and numerous other federal agencies over the last four years have selected SIG SAUER for their duty sidearm. This purchase, again, reflects that the world's most demanding military and law enforcement agencies select SIG SAUER when they need the very best to protect our freedoms. We, as a global company, are committed to delivering the highest quality firearms and services to agencies that represent the first line of defense between the criminal and terrorist threat,” stated Ron Cohen, President and CEO of SIG SAUER.

About SIG SAUER
Headquartered in Exeter, New Hampshire, SIG SAUER is an ISO 9001: 2000 certified company with over 300 employees. It is the largest member of a worldwide business group of firearms manufacturers that includes J.P. Sauer & Sohn and Blaser, Gmbh, in Germany and Swiss Arms AG in Switzerland. This global network of companies gives SIG SAUER a world-class firearms knowledge base, unparalleled design expertise, and extensive manufacturing capacity, enabling the company to respond quickly and effectively to changing market conditions and the needs of its military, law enforcement, and commercial markets worldwide. www.sigsauer.com.
Media Contact:
Kim Cahalan (309) 944-5341 kim@mediadirectcreative.com

Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Very cool, thanks for posting. Big Grin

Posts: 1552 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post