SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anyone have any thoughts on Holosun pistol optics?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have any thoughts on Holosun pistol optics? Login/Join 
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted
Would you get a red or green reticle/dot? I like the 507c but would you get the first version or version 2?

I just thought I’d ask if anyone has either one and what your thoughts are?

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I have both, the version 2 updates are worthwhile. Pretty much eliminated all the complaints I had with the Gen 1.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Holosun are good to go. Red vs green is purely personal preference. If you have the choice get the V2, worthwhile upgrades. I personally also get the Elite models over Standard ones for the longer warranty.

Posts: 347 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. What is the Elite?

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See the top item here:

"What is the Holosun warranty?"

https://holosun.com/index/category/items/id/107.html#

Posts: 347 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
So basically either a 508c or any of the green dot sights give you a lifetime warranty on everything vs. 5 years on glass breaks.

Posts: 4155 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find the green a little sharper in bright sunlight. I think max brightness is a weak point on Holosun optics vs Trijicon. The red is fine in bright sunlight, but the green stands out just a little more.

Right now, however, you should grab what you can get. I haven't seen a holding optic available in the wholesale world for at least a month. Trijicon also filed a patent suit against Holosun in the last couple weeks, so the months or years that will take too resolve may negatively impact Holosun's market presence.

Posts: 5160 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the great info from y'all!

I didn't know that about trijicon.

So, my buddy has a HE507c-GR Elite and he can get a 507c-GR V2. I am on the edge of which I should trade him for. I like the updates on the V2 but am wondering if the Elite will be just fine. I know that the Elite uses a 2032 instead of a 1632 and it loads on the bottom. However, with the Elite battery potentially lasting 10 years (I would obviously change it more often)I kind of feel like the Elite will be just fine. I like the bigger buttons on the V2 also but I know on the auto mode I probably won't change the brightness very often, if at all. What are you guys' thoughts?

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
As long as we're not going to Aimpoint ACRO levels of battery size, I will take a small battery reduction if it means I don't have to rip my sight off my gun to change batteries. You can call me lazy, but the idea of breaking the Locktite of my RDS screws, removing the RDS screws, taking the red dot off my gun, replacing the battery, position my RDS back on my gun just right so everything lines up, re-Locktite my screws, pray to God I haven't stripped the screws, screw the RDS screws back into my gun, and leave it alone for 24 hours to let everything dry is not my cup of tea.

Posts: 4155 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
You make great points. The only thing I think of is only other sight I’d consider is a Trijicon rmr and I’d have to remove it for battery replacement like the 507 elite

posted Hide Post
OK I've been on a kick about this lately and I'll keep saying it till Para tells me to stop. The holosun is a Chinese optic. Nobody should buy a chinese optic.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
That is a very good point. I admit I had forgotten it was Chinese. Perhaps I should just keep waiting for what I really want which is the Trijicon RMR.

quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
OK I've been on a kick about this lately and I'll keep saying it till Para tells me to stop. The holosun is a Chinese optic. Nobody should buy a chinese optic.

Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
The more I think about it, it seems the smaller buttons on the V1 would be better. It would be less chance of inadvertently hitting them.

posted Hide Post
quote:
As long as we're not going to Aimpoint ACRO levels of battery size, I will take a small battery reduction if it means I don't have to rip my sight off my gun to change batteries. You can call me lazy, but the idea of breaking the Locktite of my RDS screws, removing the RDS screws, taking the red dot off my gun, replacing the battery, position my RDS back on my gun just right so everything lines up, re-Locktite my screws, pray to God I haven't stripped the screws, screw the RDS screws back into my gun, and leave it alone for 24 hours to let everything dry is not my cup of tea.

Everybody has their own issues. I've dozens of RMR's. I've done this drill dozens and dozens of time. Its nothing like your version. Unscrew, clean screws, install battery, reinstall with loctite, torque, go to bed happy. And its an every couple of years project for any specific optic. Only an idiot that doesn't torque things would strip the screws (you do know that fasteners on lots of things get removed and replaced on a regular basis, but if it bothers you new screws are like $.50). This is seriously not a reason to buy the best of the available optics. Not objecting to the idea that a top mounted battery is not a win, but there isn't a good optic with one at the moment. FWIW

Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I see both sides of the battery on the bottom. With the battery life on many of these, I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. If I had to do it every few months, then I’d be looking for A top or side mounted.

posted Hide Post
Of all the optics I've tried the only one with bad battery life is the ACRO. Which is completely the opposite you would expect from Aimpoint. But that one at least is not bottom mounted.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:
The more I think about it, it seems the smaller buttons on the V1 would be better. It would be less chance of inadvertently hitting them.

The V2 buttons, while larger, are relatively recessed. The RMR's buttons are probably more prone to accidental activation, but I've not run into that carrying them.

Posts: 5160 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

hrcjon, I appreciate your insight, too.

quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:

The V2 buttons, while larger, are relatively recessed. The RMR's buttons are probably more prone to accidental activation, but I've not run into that carrying them.

Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine has a Holosun on his Poly 80 Glock 26 build. I've had the chance to borrow the gun a few times and do a little shooting with it.

I really liked the P-80 build and liked the Holosun. I am thinking of going down the red dot for a carry gun road and thought about getting a Holosun, but I really have no desire to buy a Chinese product - if I can buy an American made product instead.

So I won't be buying a Holosun.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I ended up with the HE507-GR Elite. I have mounted and zeroed it. I have to say that I am very pleased with this optic.

While it is Chinese I got it because of the deal with it being very comparable to the RMR. If money were no object, I would not think twice of getting the RMR. But since I got an optic that I think is just as good with more options and better battery life, I feel good about it. I can get a HE507-GR-V2 also when we get new duty pistols and have both for a little more than what just one RMR would cost me.

Thanks to everyone for the information and taking the time to post in this thread!