SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Blast from the past. Federal EFMJ ammo.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blast from the past. Federal EFMJ ammo. Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
So on a recent range trip I was digging through some old ammo and found some Federal EFMJ (expanding full metal jacket). The way I understood this stuff was it has some kind of polymer core that flattened on impact.

So I burned through it and it shot exceptionally well in terms of accuracy and consistency as I would expect as even though it’s old it is well made ammo.

At any rate did this little experiment ever go anywhere or was it one of those things thrown at the wall that never stuck.

Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I think pretty much the only reason for it was states that prohibit hollowpoints (New Jersey? I can't remember).

I'm not sure if it's still available or not.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I still have some. It grouped well and always went bang.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Still have 2 boxes of the 9mm in my stockpile.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4576 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
I think pretty much the only reason for it was states that prohibit hollowpoints (New Jersey? I can't remember).

I have some in .40 and .45 that I bought for carrying in the Peoples Republic of New Jersey.

Posts: 82 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I understand, it is still available as the Federal Guard Dog line of ammunition

Posts: 80 | Registered: July 21, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bought some 40 S&W 165 gr. pulled EFMJ bullets to reload. They are certainly long bullets and take up a lot of case volume. Testing 3 powders you had to reduce powder charges quite a lot. Usually from .6 to .9 grains from 165 FMJ bullets. They hit what I would call maximum much faster. That is from recoil and case expansion personal views. I could get 960-1000 fps before they appeared hot. They have a rubber type fill in the nose and look funny expanded with the rubber squeezed from the petals. I would think you could use 180 grain jacketed load data for the 165 gr. EFMJ's?????

Posts: 112 | Registered: May 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:

I have a good stock of 9mm Federal Guard Dog on hand. JHPs depend on hydrodynamic forces for expansion. Unlike JHPs, EFMJs will expand when they encounter drywall. For that reason EFMJs in my P226 X5 are my choice for HD. A shot gone awry is less likely to kill or injure my neighbors in adjacent condo units.

The 105 gr bullets have high MV, but about the same PF as my 115 gr FMJ range ammo, so shot placement is similar.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Might want to look into how they penetrate after passing through drywall. I cant remember off hand who did it, but I remember a test where 9mm EFMJ penetrated 9 inches of gel after passing through 4 spaced out drywall "walls."

I spent a fair bit of time in CSI and the only thing I saw that didn't penetrate a ton of drywall in actual shootings was 5.56. It would still pass through a room or two, but tended to break up fairly quickly. After seeing how rounds passed through building materials I actually set a safe in my living room that was directly down the hallway from the master bedroom. It was there just in case I had to repel boarders and would serve as a bullet stop to keep rounds from inconveniencing my neighbor...

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Also a lot easier for fussy guns to feed round nose ball shaped cartridges that JHP's.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Cool I just looked it up and your right looks like they live on as guard dog.

That said there is NO WAY these things are gonna stop with just a couple layers of drywall.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Balaam's Ass
Picture of Vero8
posted Hide Post
EFMJ was/is my carry ammo when I carry my 1911.

God bless America...and no one else

Posts: 4396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Cool I just looked it up and your right looks like they live on as guard dog.

That said there is NO WAY these things are gonna stop with just a couple layers of drywall.

You’re correct – a couple of layers of drywall won’t stop a Federal Guard Dog EFMJ bullet. But EFMJ, unlike JHP, does expand in drywall, so will have significantly less kinetic energy remaining.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post