SIGforum
Springfield EMP4 in the stable

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/2720075474

September 14, 2020, 05:37 PM
LincolnSixEcho
Springfield EMP4 in the stable
Ever end up with a gun that you had no intention of ever buying, but somehow end up with it and then liking it more than you thought you would? Well I won’t go into how I ended up with this EMP4, but it kind of fell on my lap so to speak and now it’s in my collection. I cleaned it and took it out today and it shot really well. No issues to speak of, and I was expecting some based on reviews online, from feeding to extracting issues, to loose ejectors that had come unglued, etc. None of that, at least yet.

It’s my first 9mm 1911 and I do like the commander size more and more the more I hold it. The feel is very nice and aggressive, though the grips are thin. Maybe I’ll get some VZ’s to thicken it up a bit. If you have any ideas or pics of some with other grips I’d love to see.

The only thing I really don’t like is having to put that silly Allen key in the guide rod for disassembly. I get why, but I’m not a fan.

strong mentality
September 14, 2020, 05:45 PM
92fstech
Very nice! I have one and I love it. Mine was very tight from the factory, but a few hundred rounds and a basic action job by a local smith and it's been 100% ever since.

Mine is a tackdriver, and very fun to shoot. It's a very underrated gun, imo. I agree, the takedown is annoying. I wish it used a traditional barrel bushing and guiderod. I lost the little tool thing it came with so now I'm using a paperclip...works just fine.

As to grips...I can't help you there. I like the factory ones, so mine is still wearing those.
September 14, 2020, 06:18 PM
az4783054
I have an EMP4 in 9mm. It does everything I want it to do. The slide is easy to rack, it's very accurate and it's relatively light weight. I replaced the thin bushings with standard bushings and added STONERCNC G10 grips on it. I carry mine with the 9rd flat base EMP4 CCC magazine.

If I had anything to complain about it's the fiber optic front sight. The EMP4 pistols are hard to find night sights for. And I dislike the ambidextrous safety.
September 15, 2020, 06:34 PM
pedropcola
2 complaints on mine. Both solvable. I hate ambi safeties. My trigger is fine but it has a bit of creep that I wouldn’t mind getting rid of. Great gun overall.
September 15, 2020, 06:52 PM
LincolnSixEcho
I hate the Ambi safety as well. I’m also not sure if mine has 9 or 10 round mags. I put 9 in them and it felt like I could have gotten 10, but didn’t push it.
September 15, 2020, 07:08 PM
Gambit
Very nice! I seem to remember seeing Hickok 45 do a review that was very positive, as are others I've read.

September 16, 2020, 10:13 AM
az4783054
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
I hate the Ambi safety as well. I’m also not sure if mine has 9 or 10 round mags. I put 9 in them and it felt like I could have gotten 10, but didn’t push it.

The flat metal base plate is 9 rds, it comes standard with the EMP4 CCC. The polymer base plate is 10 rds and initially, they are hard to load all 10 rds.
September 16, 2020, 10:51 AM
LincolnSixEcho
I saw that video by Hickok45 and was pleased that it was so positive. So I have the 10 rounders it seems thanks guys.
September 16, 2020, 11:50 AM
just1tym
Though these aren't very tactical they are some nice amboyna burls that Sarge made me. This is also the first generation 9mm EMP's that were made. It was a very compact 9mm 1911 and had a little SA Custom Shop work done. Sarge's Grips will add stippling on the grips also, if you choose to stay with the woods. This EMP was sold to another Sigforum member.

Regards, Will G.
September 16, 2020, 01:45 PM
92fstech
Those are some beautiful grips! Eek
September 16, 2020, 04:10 PM
Batty67
Great guns! Enjoy.

I thought hard about picking up the EMP4 carry version but I got a new to new Springfield EMP (3") with 8 magazines for a great price a few months before the EMP4 came out. I customized my original EMP by removing the ambi safety and replacing the sights. I also have a DW Guardian that is commander length, so I could not justify the purchase.
September 16, 2020, 07:50 PM
jdshank
I carry a Contour carry EMP and over the last 3500 rds it's had a perfect run! My Gen 3 Glock has had 5 issues it the same number of rounds.
September 16, 2020, 09:16 PM
LincolnSixEcho
Wow that’s a lot of rounds without an issue, nice to hear!
September 17, 2020, 04:26 AM
Sgt 127
Bought one. Shot about 500 rounds through it. Really liked it.

Got rid of the ambi safety.

Let a buddy borrow it. He really liked it. I forgot he had it.

I moved 1300 miles away and am trying to figure out how to get the damned thing back.

Hopefully it will be well broken in.
September 17, 2020, 08:28 AM
LincolnSixEcho
Aww heck 1300 miles sounds like a nice relaxing weekend trip to get your piece back Wink
September 17, 2020, 08:35 AM
trebor44
Take down is very easy, you don't need any special tools. Just grasp the slide and pull it back to the takedown notch and pull the pin. The slide comes off as one unit. But to clean the barrel you do have to 'lock' the recoil spring back using the plastic shroud on the small part of the guide rod.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trebor44,

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!
September 18, 2020, 10:35 AM
Edmond
I have the original EMP in 9 and .40; they're great little pistols. Will have to consider this one.

September 18, 2020, 08:24 PM
jdshank
Have a number of fine carry guns, The EMP CC is head and shoulders above all the rest I have. I only say this as it pertains to ME, I don't care if my gun has a 30 round mag I only care where my first round goes and out to 50 yds my EMP will deliver! Most shooters have a gun they trust and my EMP is my choice. I'm to old and fat too run.