SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I find myself without a P226. Which version?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I find myself without a P226. Which version? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
For some reason I don’t have a 226. What’s a good range/training/home defense model?
<snip>

My choice was a 9mm P226 X5 Competition (with Robert Burke action job). Great for all three of your stated purposes.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
For some reason I don’t have a 226. What’s a good range/training/home defense model?
Standard? MK25? Combat? Legion? E2? Pros and cons of each as I admittedly haven’t been paying attention to sig da/sa lately.

I can not imagine you being displeased with any of those choices.

My old standard P226 was bought just before the 1994 Ban went into effect. It has been serving me well ever since

If cost is a concern, there are always plenty of these standard P226s available on the used market.

Though if price were no option and I was acquiring my first and only P226, I would be looking for a used P226 X-5 Tactical with the threaded barrel.

I like the 5" barrel, the X-5 family of SIGs are beautifully fitted and super accurate, plus this one is setup for use with a suppressor.

As can be seen I put wood grips on most of mine for both looks and functionality. The Nills grips fit my hand very nicely

quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
I have found that the best way to find a deal on something is to not need one. Be it a P226 or a P238 HD.

I have to agree, some of the best deals come up when you are not looking for them Smile

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat a classic, W. German 226 with a carbon steel slide. I love mine.

Still, the Legion models are pretty sexy.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17245 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
So the MK25 has coated internals I know. Any other difference than a standard other than that and the anchor?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
MK25 has a true pic. rail.
Won't fit in most standard 226R holsters.

Posts: 12536 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Why get a MK25 then?

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I would get the mk25 or a stainless elite!!

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why get a MK25 then?

better rail. ie mil spec. beefier

phosphated internals

phosphated or hardchrome barrel.

extra magazine and the anchor/sticker

If none of these matter to you then just get a standard. When I bought mine It was on sale for less than a standard 226. (later traded it for a 226 legion sao

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
a triple number West German marked bar-dot sights 9mm. Maybe a KA series.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I have three 226s, including a Legion. The MK25 is what I carry all the time.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I’ve got my eye on a couple. Extreme and MK25.

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:

Nice looking gun.

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:

Nice looking gun.

Thanks. That’s a photo from when it was new. It’s gotten a little bit of holster wear & a set of G10 grips since then.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick_Perry:
I am i n love with my P226 Legion SAO.

Ditto

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1lowlife:
1988 West German, or any decent WG model, totally stock..
I'll never part with it.. Big Grin

Never cared much for the foofoo versions.

I regret selling that, it compounds everytime you post those pics.

OP. I have had the above, a stainless steel elite da/sa, 226r SAO, 226R in 40,9,357,22lr. All that being said, the best shooting is the X5 AO

They can be found and had for reasonable price compared to the full tilt X5's. So, that is my recomendation. 226x5ao

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a 226 stainless steel elite and really enjoy it. At 42 ounces empty it's pretty heavy for an EDC piece however great range pistol. Also makes a very nice home defense setup with an Olight Mini light.

Posts: 140 | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
My favorite in current production: Mk25.

My favorite of all time: tough one...P226 X-Five L1 but it's not something I'd ever carry even if I could somehow resolve just how expensive they've become in today's marketplace. So I'd very likely default to my alloy X-Five Tactical. Not quite the trigger of the L1 but nice enough. Not exactly cheap either, but a bit more tolerable.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
I go back and forth between a 226 Legion and a MK25.

Posts: 12536 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
If I were going to pick from the current crop of US production P226s, it would be the MK25.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I went and looked at a few today. Not a big selection. They did have a great deal on P229 elite classic carry. Night sights, 3 mags, SRT, nice grips, really good trigger. Brand new $699. Couldn't pass it up. Still looking for a 226 though. Wish I could post some pics of it. It's pretty.

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer