SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I find myself without a P226. Which version?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I find myself without a P226. Which version? Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted
For some reason I don’t have a 226. What’s a good range/training/home defense model?
Standard? MK25? Combat? Legion? E2? Pros and cons of each as I admittedly haven’t been paying attention to sig da/sa lately.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
An early standard stainless slide version (think police trade in or CPO) is all you need for what you want it to do. Pro is you wont mind wearing it out or dinging it up. No real cons. I have an early 226 no rail in .40; it is a dream to shoot, and I imagine 9mm would be even more so.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15546 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
And pick one. Smile

I'd advise going to a gunshop and handling several. I like the Legions (after I remove and work over the slide stop lever). I think the MK25 is probably the best all around P226 on the market. I'd just handle it first because the one thing about SIG that is real is that some guns come out of the box with great DA/SA triggers and some are horrible. There's no rhyme or reason to it, it doesn't seem.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I'd vote for a standard in 9mm, with the idea of getting something different once you know what (if anything) you would like to be different. My wild guess is that a standard 9mm is very likely to suit you very, very well.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
And pick one. Smile

I'd advise going to a gunshop and handling several. I like the Legions (after I remove and work over the slide stop lever). I think the MK25 is probably the best all around P226 on the market. I'd just handle it first because the one thing about SIG that is real is that some guns come out of the box with great DA/SA triggers and some are horrible. There's no rhyme or reason to it, it doesn't seem.

It was your damn MK25 Post that got me wanting one again.

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
I find myself without a P226.

I've found myself in the same position before. Luckily I just pinch myself and realize it's just a really, really horrible nightmare.

I'd get a gray one or an anchor one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skins2881,

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20803 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
And pick one. Smile

It was your damn MK25 Post that got me wanting one again.

I would go with the MK25 then!

The only minor drawback to the MK25 is that it won't fit in some of the railed P226 holsters. I bought and sold a MK25 for this reason.

Then, I got into the Beretta world. They don't have two friggin guns that use the same holster it seems. So, I don't feel bad about the MK25. You being a southy, makes the regular sized slide stop lever even more important as well.

Shop around and you'll find a good deal at $800. Text me and I'll hook you up with some stuff.

I'll send you a message in a minute with further.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I really prefer the E2 grips... and I think a basic P226 is a simple way to go.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd never find myself in this position. But if I was I'd dig myself out first (of the current product line) a legion SAO. But if TDA is your game then the MK25.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love my Tacops version. But I love my plain brown wrapper, too.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
1988 West German, or any decent WG model, totally stock..
I'll never part with it.. Big Grin

Never cared much for the foofoo versions.

Posts: 4359 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try to find an original Blackwater model. According to a consensus on this forum they are nothing special value wise. So I turned my LNIB into a shooter. This great pistol, comes with 5 magazines, SRT, additional slide serrations, two sets of grips and a nifty logo. I installed a Gray Guns flat trigger and Trijicon HD sights, what a nice shooter. Not sure what you should pay but I would jump on one for $500, if I already did not have one.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

If the enemy is in range, so are you...

Posts: 185 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: May 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ambush:
Try to find an original Blackwater model. According to a consensus on this forum they are nothing special value wise. So I turned my LNIB into a shooter. This great pistol, comes with 5 magazines, SRT, additional slide serrations, two sets of grips and a nifty logo. I installed a Gray Guns flat trigger and Trijicon HD sights, what a nice shooter. Not sure what you should pay but I would jump on one for $500, if I already did not have one.

Are you saying you know of one for $500?

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Extreme and select seem like a good value. SRT and night sights.

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

posted Hide Post
I wish I did, unfortunately I do not. I would check around the web and perhaps your LGSs and of course monitor this forum.

The response I received, when asked here on the forum, was that they were just another gimmick Sig with no added value.

I accepted that consensus and ended up with a real nice shooter. In my opinion my pistol, from a practical application, is a much better buy than a MK25.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

If the enemy is in range, so are you...

Posts: 185 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: May 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I have found that the best way to find a deal on something is to not need one. Be it a P226 or a P238 HD.

I put a set of Nills on the P226 a bit later.

Posts: 9138 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MK25 all day.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
I am i n love with my P226 Legion SAO.

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
MK25

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll fuzz off your two P226 mentions because I don't own either. I do own a basic P226 .40 DA/SA I bought new in 2010. Great gun, one of my favorites. If it was me, I'd consider the following:

1) Try and track down a P226 9mm CPO. Can order on-line or buy at LGS. Refurbed, so shouldn't have any problems.

2) Try and find a used P226 at your LGS. CPO's excepted, I never buy used guns on-line. I want to inspect the gun and feel the action. As Jones stated, there is a wide variation in action quality. When I bought my first Glock (G34) new, I went to my LGS. Had them bring out all the G34's in stock. The one I bought had a markedly better trigger than the other three.

3) I wouldn't worry about SRT or E2 grips as a deciding factor. Neither cost that much to replace. Personally, I've never seen any shooting benefit to the SRT with my own Sigs. Had E2's on my P226 and P229's. Liked the feel, but they had a grip sensitivity quirk for me. Currently, they all have G10's and GGI triggers. The combo puts the trigger finger pad closer to the trigger face, if that's a concern. Avoids the potential pitfalls of the E2's and/or the Sig OEM short reach trigger.

4) If you're willing to spend the money, there are a number of places for action work. GGI, Burke and Sig AEP are three that come immediately to mind.

The P226 is my favorite Sig, although I like my others nearly as well. A good part is subjective, it just feels good in the hand and balances perfectly for me. Good luck. You'll probably be happy with whichever P226 you get.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post