SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Couple Questions re SIG P245
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Couple Questions re SIG P245 Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
My pistols are P228 and P239 9mm. I have added a P245 and have a couple questions about it:
  1. What ammunition do y'all favor for this for carry? For range use, I have been using the 100-round Federal Value Pack, 230 grain. If I foresee a lot of range use, I will probably start reloading.

2. Compared to the P228 and P239, the trigger pull is really, really, heavy. Heavy to the point where I think it's affecting my accuracy. Groups are spread out much more than with my 9mm SIGs, no matter how much I slow down. Any suggestions here? I was thinking of Gray Guns but the wait time is so loooooong. Maybe Robert Burke? Or back to SIG? Or is there something a person of limited skill, like me, can do?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or is there something a person of limited skill, like me, can do?

Install a lighter mainspring.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
quote:
Or is there something a person of limited skill, like me, can do?
Install a lighter mainspring.
I have to admit, I have limited knowledge as well as limited skill.

Question: Mainspring and Hammer Spring the same thing?

Top Gun shows Mainspring, but no choice of weight (unless I missed it on the website).

Wolff website shows no Mainspring, but it does have Hammer Springs, however no mention of SIG P245. Will the P220 work? If so, they state that the standard spring is 22 lbs. They show a kit, their SKU 26574, with one each of 18, 19, and 20 "reduced power" for the Browning BDA and P220 with serial numbers below 219166. The serial number on my P245 is not in this series, it is C01293.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Main spring is hammer spring.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
V-Tail,
First remove the right grip panel to determine if you have the plastic mainspring base or the older metal base.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4sigman
posted Hide Post
If you are handy, Grayguns has drop in kits for P series guns.

Posts: 275 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: April 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sent my P245 to Robert Burke. Was home in under 2weeks. Wonderful trigger. Can't go wrong with Robert.

Posts: 449 | Registered: October 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Compared to the P228 and P239, the trigger pull is really, really, heavy.

I'm surprised to see this comment. I find the stock trigger on the P245 to be one of the best I've experienced. What's the condition of this gun?

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
I've a P245 and the trigger pull is non-distinguishable from any other of my P-series guns. DA or SA. I'm not saying that each is exactly the same as I have several covering the gamut of years of production. I'm just saying that my P245 is as good as the rest.

But, just like anything that's mass produced there are probably some that left the factory better or worse than the majority. You may just have a rough one. I'd say to first do a total field strip and scrubbing and put things back together and apply some quality oil. Then shoot the bejeezous out of it and see if things get better on their own.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My local expert (occasional Gunsite instructor) suggested that holding your pinky finger out away from the grip helps with the accuracy of those small-gripped pistols. It certainly seemed to help me.

Posts: 117 | Registered: February 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
And helps when sipping coffee and tea.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbmcmjr:
My local expert (occasional Gunsite instructor) suggested that holding your pinky finger out away from the grip helps with the accuracy of those small-gripped pistols. It certainly seemed to help me.
Grip is essentially same size as my P228. Grip is larger than my P239. My P228 and P239 produce much more consistent groups than the P245.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים