SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    CZ 75 Taipan, SAO, long slide, 6-inch barrel [** UPDATE with Range Report, p. 2 **]
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 75 Taipan, SAO, long slide, 6-inch barrel [** UPDATE with Range Report, p. 2 **] Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
Taking a break from politics. Big Grin

This is the 1st report of two parts. Part 2 (actual shooting) will be at a later date.

Almost 2 years ago, I was inquiring about this pistol on here. No one seemed to know about it, although PGT was close in suggesting the famed Waffen Oschatz. Turned out that it wasn't them but another well known German custom builder, the Frankonia Tuning Center. The following is Google translated.
quote:
The Taipan model is designed for static precision disciplines and is the result of close cooperation between experienced shooters and the experts from the Frankonia Tuning Center.

The goal of this project was clearly defined. Two essential factors should be combined with one another: On the one hand, the mature CZ technology designed as a basis with excellent tuning parts and, on the other hand, the extensive experience in development and assembly. Numerous practical and precision tests, as well as several thousand shots ultimately led to a result that is quite impressive in terms of perfection!

Due to the safety on both sides, the weapon is ideally suited for right-handed and left-handed shooters. The pistol can also be adapted for shooters with smaller hands. This is ensured by the handle width of just 29 mm and an adjustable trigger advance.

The massive dust cover is provided with a rail to which additional weights can be attached, for example

The Taipan comes with a 19-round magazine and 2 reserve magazines, a 6-inch barrel (153 mm) and a sight length of 206 mm. The magazine release button can be converted to left-hand operation. The total weight - including the empty magazine - is 1,270 g. This first-class sport pistol comes with an LPA TRT sight, a finely revised single-action-only trigger (SAO) with a special aluminum trigger tongue, a coordinated single-action-only hammer and aluminum grips with sharp checkering (ribbed surface) delivered.

- Technical specifications
- Sight: LPA TRT sight
- Rear sight: 3.0 mm fully adjustable
- Front sight: 2.95 mm
- Sight length: 206 mm
- Handle: aluminum handle shells
- Security: rotary lever lock on both sides
- Trigger: single action only trigger and SAO hammer
- Trigger weight: approx. 1,250 g
- Ignition delay time: 6 ms
- Barrel length: 6 "(153 mm)
- Running profile: 6x field train professional
- Weight without magazine: 1,164 g
- Weight including magazine: 1,270 g
- including 3 magazines with a capacity of 19 cartridges
- Dimensions: 244x42x157 mm

A review/testing by all4shooters is here, FRANKONIA – CZ 75, a detailed test.

So, how does this fare actually in hands? The frame is from the SP-01 Shadow fitted with a SAO trigger mechanism. The thin aluminum grips makes the gun feel too thin, especially with the reduced reach of the SAO trigger. Already ordered the palm swell grips from LOK. How is the trigger pull on this gun? Although Frankonia says the weight is 1.25 kg (2.8 lbs), my Lyman digital trigger scale measured it at 2 lbs 1 oz (average of 5 pulls). Yes, fantastic light pull. What about the trigger break from the sear? No "glass rod" break, because you can definitely feel a slight slip before the sear let off. This is consistent with what all4shooters reported. This is what I find interesting. I've owned several CZs previously, from stock to CZ Custom to CGW Pro package, and they all exhibit this characteristic let off. On stock guns, you feel the actual grittiness between the sear and the trigger notch. On the trigger worked over guns, the grittiness is mostly gone, but the slip, although smooth, can still be felt.

Test target shows the error the Frankonia shooter made when writing down the serial number (supposed to be 46, not 66). Finish is typical black of the CZ pistols. Frame to slide fit is tight.

Barrel bushing and recoil spring plug. The cut out on the left side of the bushing is to allow the plug to pass forward during field stripping.

Correct serial number (46), not 66 as written on test target. The mangled looking symbol is actually the ID mark of the Czech National Arms and Ammunition Proofing Authority in Prague. It's a 2-tailed lion walking on its hind legs, inside a shield. A clearer marking is shown on the barrel hood. CIP/N is the actual proof mark indicating the gun has passed the testing. About the 2 other markings right above the extractor, the checkered shield appears to be the mark of the German Mellrichstadt Proof House and the CA inside the shield is probably the 2-letter date code (CA = '20). Notice the barrel's serial number is different from the matching numbers on the frame and slide. Vendor (MMBI) checked with their German partners, and it was confirmed that all their Taipans are built this way.

Front sight is pinned from top. LPA rear sight is fully click adjustable for windage and elevation.

Inside frame shows uneven finish typical of the CZ pistols.
The barrel hood and locking lugs, and the inner surface of the forward area of the slide, are brightly polished.

Recoil spring, plug, guide rod, barrel bushing assembly, full-size 1911 style

Size comparison with the Shadow 2 Orange

The 6-inch Taipan is a full 2 oz lighter than the 5-inch Shadow 2 Orange (44.6 oz vs 46.6 oz). Interesting.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12131,

Q

Posts: 26199 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Whoa, that is nice!

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where oh where, do you find all of these hidden gems? I never even knew this one existed. I'll be excited to hear about the range report!!!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Ooh, very nice. I’m a big fan of the CZ line.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Q, you never disappoint. Thanks for sharing. Pickle Rick.

Posts: 2861 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a new snake in town! Can't wait to see the range report. Thank you for sharing!

Posts: 463 | Location: suwanee, ga | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Nice! Did you track it down with the builder and thand then have Margie bring it over or the other way round?

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Nice! Did you track it down with the builder and thand then have Margie bring it over or the other way round?

Didn't need to track anything down. Margie has been selling several of them on GB this year. Prices varied widely, from below retail to way above. I lucked out on one occasion. Put in a bid but didn't expect to win, but other bidders gave up, and I ended up with it below retail.

Q

Posts: 26199 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3180 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I wonder what it is for.
IPSC Standard Minor, maybe.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love CZ and that one is nice. Looking forward to shooting report.

Posts: 7342 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of the Hi Power GP Competition also with a 6" barrel. Appears CZ did a better job of making an accurate pistol, though.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3431 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gawd that pistola is cool Q !

Thanks for the awesome pics and write up. Will be looking for part 2.

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sea Bass
posted Hide Post
I’m a fan of CZ pistols too. This one is interesting - kinda got the Beretta 92 thing going on with the tip of the barrel extruding out, yet like a 1911 with that barrel bushing...there’s def nothing else like it on the market.
Nice get.
SB

"Shohna ba Shohna - Shoulder to Shoulder"

Posts: 1640 | Location: Knox/Etown KY | Registered: June 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Whoa Nelly, that a beautiful CZ pistol! Enjoy!

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sweet!!

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
Cool, I remember bidding on one. Thanks for sharing.

Look forward to seeing how it shoots.

Posts: 1788 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Well he's not logged in so I bet he's at the indoor range tonight.. Big Grin

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big fan of CZ pistols. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 1616 | Location: Simpsonville SC | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post