SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What do I need to know about the Walther PPQ? (UPDATE P2: He Bought It)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do I need to know about the Walther PPQ? (UPDATE P2: He Bought It) Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Well guys, you have me convinced. Now I'm hoping he buys it so I can try it out Big Grin.

Posts: 8565 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the PPQ M2 and I think it’s a great pistol. My experience with three different PPQ’s is that Trijicon HD night sights will maintain factory zero and installation is really easy. Dawson Precision sights also work, but installation is a little more involved. Plus, Walther is doing the try it for 30 days and if you don’t like it, return it for a full refund. My BIL bought one under this program (he didn’t return it tho’).

Posts: 177 | Registered: May 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RioGrande481
posted Hide Post
I bought an M1 when they first came out. I liked it so much I ended up adding a M2 5” and an M2 in coyote tan. And I have an M2 in .45. These are all great guns. I almost think I like the paddle mag release on the M1 the most though, for my hand it is in the perfect place.

RioGrande481

“I didn’t get where I am today by everything smelling of Bolivian Unicyclist’s jock straps!”
C.J. Supercut 1976

Posts: 524 | Registered: August 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a PPQ m1 and like it a lot..but I like more the P99. To me it is the better PPQ. the PPQ m1 mags work well in the P99.
With that said, the PPQ feels great in the hand; the trigger is better than the HK VP9; and, I find it very accurate at 15yrds. Anyone looking at the PPQ should have no qualms about the quality and comfort of this piece.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
My opinion of the gun is very high. I rented a bunch of polymer guns one day and tested them all so I could compare them. As others have said, the trigger on the PPQ is the best of the best in the polymer striker world. It's so good that I like it as much as my walnut and steel guns with very good triggers. I didn't buy it for cc though because the trigger was so good, I didn't trust myself to carry it for sd because I don't train enough under stress. So to avoid an AD as much as possible should I ever find myself in a bad way, I'm sticking with my steel SD guns for CC. But if I were able to successfully and consistently manage the trigger of the PPQ under training stress, I would have bought it, because the ergonomics of the gun are outstanding for my medium sized short fingered hands. It's top of the line in the polymer family. I do not understand why other manufacturers are not trying to replicate the trigger characteristics of the PPQ.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8675 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
I do not understand why other manufacturers are not trying to replicate the trigger characteristics of the PPQ.

The Sig P320 is the same light short trigger. As striker triggers go, Glocks and others are "half-cocked," whereas the PPQ and P320 are "fully cocked," which gives them the trigger that they have.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I have read more than a few times that Walther has a spring that can make the PPQ trigger pull heavier. I have to call them one of these days as I would like mine to be closer to 6 lbs. I bought my PPQ shortly after it was released and have about 2000 rounds through it. Trigger pull is very smooth and no grit or detectable creep but close to 4 lbs. Great shooting pistol for me but for CCW I use my Gen 2 Glock 19 or original style PPS.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The frames of a few PPQ-M2 are too tight around the trigger - causing extra friction. Do have your friend see if the trigger moves without interference with the frame. Unlike many other striker pistols, the trigger bar rubs on the inside of the frame - and can add friction.

A 15 minute job of replacing the sear (Apex two-dot) in a S&W M&P9 M2.0 pistol (5", 4.25" or 4") provides a trigger that is also very good - in my opinion. . . . and less expensive.

For 9mm carry, it is G43 or the slightly better P365. Having worked on Croation pistols sold by Springfield, I am not a fan.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
About the light trigger issue...please don't read this as a critique on anyone's decision making...by all means carry what you want to for whatever reason you want to...but I don't understand how a light, striker-fired trigger is a problem from a trigger control perspective.

I, as well as pretty much every other officer in my county, carry the P320 on duty. From what I understand, its pull weight is similar to that of the PPQ. I also carry a different P320 as a backup/off-duty weapon, and have a third as a HD gun. While I thankfully have never had to shoot anyone, I have pointed my weapon at people on numerous occasions during the course of my job. Not once have I felt that having a light (5-7lb) trigger pull on my P320 has placed me at undue risk of unintentionally shooting them, because my finger is off the trigger. I'm not transitioning my finger to that trigger until I'm actually ready to pull it. Is there more risk than when my gun is in my holster? Absolutely (it's pointed at the guy for crying out loud), but it's not because my P320 has a 5lb lighter trigger pull than my old P229.

With this in mind, I contend that a lighter trigger pull should not be a concern. I actually prefer the lighter trigger because it makes it easier to execute a precise, longer-distance shot if the situation demands it (in a up close and personal defensive shooting, I highly doubt you'd even notice the weight of even a heavy trigger pull). I've seen qualification scores go up dramatically since we transitioned to the P320.

We're not talking "Bubba's amateur gunsmithing" hair triggers here where the hammer is going to slip off the sear with the slightest pressure or vibration...these are proven safe designs that aren't going to fire without a deliberate trigger actuation. If I'm making any contact whatsoever with the trigger (regardless of pull weight) when I'm not actually intending to fire the gun, I've already screwed up. It doesn't matter what kind of trigger it is.

Posts: 8565 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
Everyone I know who has one loves it.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Well, he bought it on Friday, and we went out and shot it yesterday. The salesman sold him on a subcompact, which I kinda disagree with for a new shooter, but maybe the thought was that if he's only going to have one gun, it better be able to do everything.

The quality seems good...definitely on par with the other major manufacturers. The funky grip contour wasn't bad, but it didn't feel remarkably better/more ergonomic than more traditional designs. The trigger was crap. Worse than my Glock trigger...definitely not on par with a P320. Not even close. It had a lot of mushy takeup, with noticeable creep and inconsistent pull-weight throughout the takeup. Once you finally got to the break, it was light, but getting there was a trip.

The gun has a pretty high bore axis, and the curved top of the slide made for a strange feeling grip when racking the slide. It worked...never slipped out of my hand...but i didn't feel like I got as solid a grip purchase as I'm used to with a more squared-off design. The sights were large and easy to pick up, but the way that the slide contours kind of flowed into them was just...weird. I found it distracting.

My buddy shot it and initially was all over the place and way left. I tried it, and while I was closer, I was still left, and not really happy with my group. We tried a few marksmanship drills, and I'd get him dialed in, and then he'd be all over the place again. It took me a minute, but then I realized what was happening. Because the gun is a subcompact, it came with three mags...one flush-fit, one with a pinky extension, and a full-size with a sleeve. He was cycling through mags, and was doing pretty well with the full-size sleeved mag that provided a full grip, but not so well with the others. We're going to focus on that one for now so he can develop a consistent grip, and he's planning to purchase a few more of those.

Overall he's happy with it, so I'm happy for him. I didn't down-talk anything about the gun to him, just focused on what I liked about it and worked on helping him get on target with it. I think with practice it will serve him well...but I don't think one will ever reside in my safe.

Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Agree, getting the SC was a mistake, and his trouble shooting w/ the shorter mags is evidence of that. If you're only going to have one pistol, a compact about 5" tall w/ around 4" barrel is the most versatile size.

Was your friend not able to dry-fire the PPQ SC at the shop before buying to tell it had a dud for a trigger?

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 7mm Mauser
posted Hide Post
I have a PPQ M1 that I enjoy at the range and when I’m out and about. I have found that the older Walther P99 mags function perfectly. I also picked up some NOS Pro Mag hicaps labeled for the P99 that also work well with my M1.

7mm

Port Orchard, WA

Posts: 170 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:

Was your friend not able to dry-fire the PPQ SC at the shop before buying to tell it had a dud for a trigger?

Not sure, but like I said, he's a new shooter and may not have known any better anyway. He bought what the salesman was selling hook, line and sinker. I did my best to try and steer him in a different direction, but this is what he wanted and now he's going to have to live with it. He's happy, so I'm not going to rain on his parade. Most of my issues with it are just my personal preference, which obviously doesn't mirror his. It does seem like a well-made gun...I'm sure with practice it'll work well for him.