SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What do I need to know about the Walther PPQ? (UPDATE P2: He Bought It)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do I need to know about the Walther PPQ? (UPDATE P2: He Bought It) Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
I have a friend who moved out here to the midwest from California about two years ago. He's been shooting with me a few times, and has decided he wants to buy a handgun. A couple of weeks ago, we went to the range and I took a sample of pretty much every variety I own for him to shoot...Sig (P Series and P320), Glock, Beretta, CZ, 1911, and revolvers (both DA and SA). And yeah, I spent hours cleaning afterwards, lol.

He's been hitting the gun stores and handling stuff, and yesterday he told me he really likes the feel of the PPQ. He's the kind of guy who likes to go his own way and be unique, so it doesn't really suprise me that he found something different, and I'm glad he's taking the time to look for the option that fits him best. The problem is I know nothing about Walthers, so I'm not sure how to advise him. I think I shot a P22 once about 10 years ago, but that's the extend of my exposure to them. Is there anything I shoud be warning him about with the PPQ, or will he be well served by one if he buys it?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 92fstech,

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
It has a pretty solid reputation and a great stock trigger.

Initially American shooters were butthurt because the PPQ only had a European magazine release available, but Walther has since released an American style version.

I don't think magazines are cross compatible from Euro to American, so that might be something to watch out for as he buys magazines.

Compared to Glocks and M&Ps, there will be less aftermarket support but for most people that isn't an issue.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
The M1 version is older and mags are not common. The M2 version is the American 'mag release' and mags are more common but still spendy. Check out the Walther web site for more info.

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of PPQM2's in .40. No complaints.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I don't think the mag release will be an issue for him, since this is his first gun, so he's not going to be switching from anything...just learning what he gets. He'll likely end up with the US style anyway, since he's buying new. I also don't see him amassing a large quantity of mags or devling deep into the aftermarket...but who knows, he may start shooting more and get sucked in like the rest of us, lol.

Glad to hear they're decent guns...I'll pass the info you shared on to him.

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I had a PPQ 9mm. A lot of ppl claimed it has the best stock trigger for a striker-fired gun. I thought it lived up to the hype. There's more to a gun than its trigger though. Overall, I didn't enjoy shooting it as much as other strikers I have, so I traded it off.

In my area, used ones in excellent condition go for about $400. I paid a lot less than that for mine used. If someone in my area were interested in a PPQ, I'd recommend him to try to find a gently used one.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The PPQ trigger is about the same as the P320 trigger, really.

Between the two, I'd pick up a P320. A lot more options.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
The PPQ trigger is about the same as the P320 trigger, really.

Between the two, I'd pick up a P320. A lot more options.

You and me both (for a whole bunch of reasons!), but my situation is very different than his, and he's going to make his own decision...I'm just trying to make sure he doesn't buy junk.

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I have three. A PPQ M2 in 9mm and .40 S&W plus a PPQ 22. I was training today and one of the deputies at the range had a new G5 G17. It was a nice weapon but I I think the PPQ M2 is better. IMO, the PPQ had a better trigger and ergonomics. They are also like a GLOCK, incredibly reliable. That being said, unless you can buy the magazines through Walther’s LEO program, mags are pricey. I keep hoping Magpul will make a PPQ magazine. I wouldn’t say this is a deal breaker but something to keep in mind.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've heard stories of the long slide release levers breaking, but have never seen it personally. I see PPQ's being shot at some local competitions from time to time.

They're very ergonomic pistols, and as far as I can tell, well designed and well put together. I like them. I don't carry them, but only because I have other handguns that are my regular carry pistols. I don't believe I'd have any concerns with the PPQ.

Larry Vickers was really big on the PPQ a few years back, even promoting it as THE firearm for a time, and all of a sudden there was no more said about it. I never heard why, though I was curious.

My own practice on any handgun is to have at least ten magazines for that pistol. With some firearms like Glocks, it's easy to pick up a boatload of magazines for very little. The PPQ will cost a bit more, typically about 40 bucks apiece.

If you do some searching, you'll find that most who review the PPQ call it a very underrated pistol. I'd agree. They do cost more than a Glock, though I picked both of mine up used, without any sign of wear or use, for quite a bit less (a touch of irony: I bought them something like a year apart, at different shops, both used, and they're subsequent serial numbers). I wouldn't have any heartburn if a friend decided to invest in a PPQ.

posted Hide Post
Years ago, I was picking up my SP2022 from my FFL and he said, “try the trigger on this.” I fell in love. What surprised me is I played with every one I came across and all had the same fantastic trigger. So I put it at the top of the list to replace my P229 as my EDC, set the price I would buy at and waited for the right deal to come along. Eventually got it.

I really, really wanted to love it. But I was surprised how much felt recoil there was. I always thought my buddy’s P99 was louder than most pistols. My theory is the stepped chamber makes such a good deal that it increases pressure just enough to make a difference. Then I wanted night sights, which you can’t (couldn’t) get factory. So I swapped out to what was supposed to match, but it changed POI. And the notch seems too wide or the front post is too thin or something. I just don’t shoot it as well as I should.

P320:

VP9:

FNS:

Hell, even guns I won’t own like the XDM and G17:

But then there’s the PPQ:

Now the vertical is the POI shift from the switch to night sights. But that’s not impacting spread. It should be a good group like the rest, just shifted vertically.

All the rest of the guns, I shot 15 rounds, 1 take. I was so bothered by the PPQ that I cheated and re-shot it, adjusting for the POI shift:

Better, but not awesome.

It has the best trigger, and is second place only to the VP9 in feels-good-in-hand. I do not shoot it the best. And this is also all slow fire where the extra felt recoil doesn’t affect the next shot. I shoot the P320 so much better at speed than the PPQ.

It’s not a bad choice. I just feel there are better. But it really only matters how well your buddy shoots it. All I’m trying to say is don’t just buy on feels and looks.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As an H&K fan I stopped worrying about the mag release years ago. If you shift your grip slightly and hit BOTH levers with your thumb and forefinger the mag releases like a dream.

Yes, you have to remove your finger from the trigger but many handguns you wind up shifting your grip to release the mag.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My experience with the PPQ is limited to company demo days and passing interesting guns around at the range. But from what I have seen, I like the PPQ and would pick it over Glock, P320, and XD. Would I take it over the S&W M&P I am familiar with? Hmm.

I don't see a paddle magazine release on the Walther website, I think that is a nonissue, they seem to be all buttons now.

Trivia: We call the side button magazine catch the "American" type and the heel catch "European." But the first side button was on the Luger and Mr Browning was putting heel catches on guns until he got well along in development of the 1911.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Great pistols! The "Classic" / M1 with the paddle magazine release is still available in 4" and 5" models. The M2 button release models are available in a variety of lengths and styles including the higher end Q5 polymer and steel frame models. All the PPQs I have owned and shot (9mm only) have had wonderfully crisp, short break / reset triggers with good stock sights that make it easy to shoot well. It is all relative of course but at least the 4" model tends to feel slightly snappier than other polymer frame guns like the M&P, Glock 19, etc., but it does not seem to detract from the shooting experience or the accuracy. Personally, I think it has more to do with the recoil spring assembly used and slide velocity than anything having to do with bore axis or anything else. The extra length and weight of the 5" model balances out the recoil a little more so that the snap is notably subdued to a more level recoil impulse. It also comes with a fiber optic front sight which is nice and works well.

The Classic / M1 mags are NOT interchangeable with the M2 mags as the release cutouts are not in the same spot. Both styles of pistol have an ambidextrous mag release except that that M1 paddles exist on both sides of the trigger guard while the button release would have to be switched for use on the other side.

Overall, a very ergonomic, impressively accurate, and well made pistol, so it is hard to go wrong by choosing one with one small caveat. While it can feel great in the hand to most folks with the changeable backstraps, the frame does tend to be a bit wide at the top where it meets the bottom of the slide at the beaver tail. So for some, like myself, if I shoot it for more than 100 rounds or so and I'm not paying close attention to not allowing my grip to shift even slightly while firing, it can cause "PPQ knuckle" where it can start irritating the strong hand thumb knuckle skin to the point where it will actually rub a raw spot in your skin after a couple hundred rounds or even a little less. So again, while it can feel great in the hand for most everyone, this issue has been noted by some others as well.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trebor44:
The M1 version is older and mags are not common. The M2 version is the American 'mag release' and mags are more common but still spendy. Check out the Walther web site for more info.

The M1 version magazines are the same as used for the Walther P99 and the Magnum Research MR9 Eagle (no longer sold and not the MR Baby Eagle), so while not a common as Glock mags they are widely availalble.

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred! - Henry Cabot Henhouse III, aka "SuperChicken"

Posts: 132 | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The PPQ 9mm has a great trigger. I have two in 22lr, 4" and 5." Both highly reliable. They rarely jam.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
If he wants to put a red dot on it, I'd suggest buying the Q4 model, it has milled slide and also comes with a threaded barrel. Or the Q5 5" target model, the trigger is blue, but no better and no threads on the barrel.

Buy mags thru CDNN. They are less expensive.

Posts: 1501 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Benderx4
posted Hide Post
Great pistol! I have the PPQ M2 in 9mm, and I agree it's probably the nicest striker fired trigger I've ever used.

Walther gives you a LOT of value for the money. I also use their PPS for my truck gun.

Posts: 490 | Location: NE FL, JAX | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:

...I'm just trying to make sure he doesn't buy junk.

Rest assured, the PPQ is most certainly not junk.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I bought a M1 back in 2012, have not fired it a lot, nothing wrong with it, I just have lots of other pistols I like better. My girlfriend bought one about the same time, shot IDPA competition for a couple of years with it, it has over 10,000 rounds thru it with no problems ever. The trigger was good to start with, but now it is outstanding, just excellent for a striker.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post