SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Gunsmith/question regarding multiple serial numbers on Colt Python components
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunsmith/question regarding multiple serial numbers on Colt Python components Login/Join 
Picture of Rinehart
posted
As I have mentioned in another thread, I have a flood-victim Colt Python. The revolver's action is unaffected and is silky and perfect.
But the finish/surface of one side of the barrel, cylinder and some of the crane area are heavily damaged. You can shoot it but it looks... rough.

(Most of this is way past polishing out). About two years ago I spoke with Colt about refinishing and they said “find the parts”…
So I did. I found a replacement 6” barrel (proper sight pin #, threads), a NOS cylinder, stem, and a used crane.

I was in talks with the Colt Gunsmiths regarding having them replace/fit these parts and refinishing to the original Royal Blue.
The Python has it’s serial number on three places- the frame, under side plate and crane. Since it is not the frame itself, one of Colt’s folks said that they could remove the used crane’s serial and restamp it with the matching serial number of my Python.

(Sample stock picture of crane serial number location)

Well, unfortunately Colt got out of the Python rework business and since then I’ve had a smith tell me that you can’t remove that crane serial number even though it isn’t on a formal firearm frame.

Here’s my question- I know there is a law that states that a firearm’s frame/receiver original serial number cannot be altered nor removed. Can a gunsmith remove the original crane number and restamp the piece with my Python’s serial number?

To my knowledge no unstamped Colt Python cranes exist.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can a gunsmith remove the original crane number and restamp the piece with my Python’s serial number?

I think yes. Colt, Smith, et al place that number there and elsewhere for internal tracking purposes so matched parts stay together during assembly. The cylinder/crane is not a firearm or controlled part.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Hey, GaryBF,

Thank you for the quick response. I wasn't sure. That seemed logical but you know the ATF...

Much appreciated!

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ask him if you need a 4473 to buy the crane or barrel. He will say no. They are parts. You would need a 4473 to buy the frame, it is the firearm.
Fords in Florida is your best bet to get a good Colt royal blue.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MBOYD
posted Hide Post
Also: Under BATF rules, licensed gunsmiths can even restore serial numbers to frames etc (as long as they file the right forms). The non-frame parts have no restrictions.

-Michael Boyd
33 year LEO and 30 year certified armorer

Posts: 684 | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
From the looks of the gun, even if you do have it refinished it will probably not look original, so why bother having replacement parts remarked? I doubt that you are trying to deceive anyone.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just have him fit up the parts and don't worry about the numbers. Faking a match would be expensive and subject to later misrepresentation.

Frank Glenn has a good reputation on Colt revolvers.
http://glenncustom.com/

There was a mention of the young guy at one shop learning the Python but I cannot find him now. You might ask on Coltforum.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't remark any parts. Some later owner may not know that it isn't an original. It is going to be valued as a shooter only.

But the condition of this revolver is painful.

Get it back into good shooting condition, and show us a photo.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The ATF does not give a hoot, but your State might. You have to look. I'd just install the new parts and move on. the remarking doesn't benefit anyone really.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
The ATF does not give a hoot, but your State might. You have to look. I'd just install the new parts and move on. the remarking doesn't benefit anyone really.

Yes, a lot of states have laws that removing a serial number is a misdomenor or felony (of anything,not just guns)

http://answers.google.com/answ...dview/id/769537.html

Honestly, refinishing it is going to hit the value of it quite a bit, so what's the difference at this point if it has a different serial number on other parts, it's a shooter not a collector piece anymore.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
You all have given good advice. Thank you kindly.

I've been kinda agonizing over this because I knew the pistol before the house flood.

It belonged to my late uncle and while he was deployed a water main broke outside their house. The basement ended up with several feet of water. This pistol was in a range bag inside a locked stronghold cabinet and his wife didn't realize that the bottom of the bag had gotten wet. They got his good stuff out of the basement but it sat inside a zippered cloth case wet on one side... for several months until he returned.

I guess I'm going to get over it as it will never be like it was. Don't plan to get rid of it in any case and once it has the new parts/finish pass on to my sons.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
You all have given good advice. Thank you kindly.

I've been kinda agonizing over this because I knew the pistol before the house flood.

It belonged to my late uncle and while he was deployed a water main broke outside their house. The basement ended up with several feet of water. This pistol was in a range bag inside a locked stronghold cabinet and his wife didn't realize that the bottom of the bag had gotten wet. They got his good stuff out of the basement but it sat inside a zippered cloth case wet on one side... for several months until he returned.

I guess I'm going to get over it as it will never be like it was. Don't plan to get rid of it in any case and once it has the new parts/finish pass on to my sons.

If that's the case, who cares if the numbers don't match......refinish it, shoot it, enjoy it, and pass it on.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Just a little update. I have the parts in hand to do this Python restoration but haven't yet moved forward. (I was trying to determine which Python gunsmith to use)-

In the meantime, last week I happened to run across another NOS barrel... This one is a 4" and proper thread count for my Python. (I have a clean replacement 6" barrel that it took me over a year to find reasonably).

This was ordered from Colt in January of 1963. The gentleman who ordered it never had it installed on his Python and it has sat in this box for 55 years.

(BTW, in 1963 it cost .24 cents to mail this barrel from Colt to his Missouri address…).

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Thats a great find, pretty cool

Posts: 23375 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Hot damn a new 4" barrel. I'll be in my bunk.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Thank you both kindly. I thought it was pretty shiny myself... It's amazing sometimes the things that are still around America like this.

All I can say for anyone looking for hard to find parts (if you're not rich and unfortunately have a budget)- ya just have to be patient. And sometimes take a moment and ask your gunsmith. If they don't have something stowed away a lot of times they know who might and can connect you.

Now I'm even more confused because I have two barrel lengths to choose from. That Python was originally a 6" and I think the 6" is practical, and has performance advantages, but 4" is also interesting... Hmmmm.

posted Hide Post
Put one barrel on the rusty Python - I would keep it a 6" - and the other on a different brand to produce a Smython or Cougar.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
Seems like a waste to put such a nice NOS original barrel on a rusted out gun. Maybe look for a used barrel instead since it sounds like you're gonna refinish the whole thing anyway?

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, unfortunately Colt got out of the Python rework business...

Must have been when they shut down their custom shop last year and laid off those employees who worked there.

It's admirable that you're bringing this snake back from the dead. I vote 6" but either way would be fine if it gets this Python spitting lead again. Please keep us informed on how things are progressing.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input- I rather like the balance and performance of the 6". I didn't originally plan on being in the Colt Python parts business but when I had chances to get things at a reasonable price... As folks have pointed out, there are parts available if money is no object but finding clean ones you can afford is challenging. (And some of these used barrels have damage of different types).

I'll probably stash the NOS 4" barrel away with the other parts I found. I found one nickel cylinder, stem and crane complete assembly that I picked up just because it was so cheap.

What's tough about this pistol was that the damage came from the basement flood soaking the end of the leather case. The other side of the Python lost bluing but has little to no metal damage. If both sides had been like this some re-polishing and a refinish might have solved things. It's always going to be a shooter and I have no plans on selling it-

Python parts prices are getting worse than P239 magazines...

I will keep you posted on progress.