SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Let's talk old west gun leather
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let's talk old west gun leather Login/Join 
posted
Recently traded into a Ruger super black hawk SS in .44 magnum.

Wondering who the go to person is for a nice western gun belt and holster.

Also if there are owners out there. Tell me what I got myself into.

Gun is in perfect condition.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure about individuals though I've heard great things about El Paso Saddlery for those rigs.

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Love El Paso Saddlery, haven't tried anything else.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I just obtained a Ruger Blackhawk Flattop in .45 (Long) Colt. I wanted a western-style rig that was as close to the "real deal" as possible, w/o being merely a mostly shapeless "pouch on a belt," which is what many real old west holsters were. What we've all seen in the movies ever since we were children are mostly wildly inaccurate. Didn't want that, either.

I wanted something I perceived a "real cowboy" might use. Something more functional that pretty.

I ended-up at Mernickle Holsters. In particular, their Cowboy Action model CATA2 REF1

Not overly-tooled or shaped, but not a shapeless pouch that swallows everything but the grip, either. Not quite a quick-draw movie rig, but faster than a "real" old west holster.

I ordered mine strong side draw. Never been a fan of cross-draw. Ordered it in the colour shown.

Delivery is about 8-10 weeks. Today is week nine for mine. So I hope to be seeing it pretty soon. Too bad I'm about to ship the grip frame out for custom-made grip panels.

Btw: Be prepared to spend Real Money. These rigs aren't cheap. The one you're looking at is $300, as shown.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
El Paso.
Mernickle.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Andrews Gunleather.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I just obtained a Ruger Blackhawk Flattop in .45 (Long) Colt. I wanted a western-style rig that was as close to the "real deal" as possible, w/o being merely a mostly shapeless "pouch on a belt," which is what many real old west holsters were. What we've all seen in the movies ever since we were children are mostly wildly inaccurate. Didn't want that, either.

I wanted something I perceived a "real cowboy" might use. Something more functional that pretty.

I ended-up at Mernickle Holsters. In particular, their Cowboy Action model CATA2 REF1

Not overly-tooled or shaped, but not a shapeless pouch that swallows everything but the grip, either. Not quite a quick-draw movie rig, but faster than a "real" old west holster.

I ordered mine strong side draw. Never been a fan of cross-draw. Ordered it in the colour shown.

Delivery is about 8-10 weeks. Today is week nine for mine. So I hope to be seeing it pretty soon. Too bad I'm about to ship the grip frame out for custom-made grip panels.

Btw: Be prepared to spend Real Money. These rigs aren't cheap. The one you're looking at is $300, as shown.

They've got some nice holsters! I noticed all of their 1911 holsters with retention straps are designed so the gun can be carried cocked and locked. Very nice.

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
El Paso Saddlery ACTUALLY SUPPLIED holsters to Old west figures, back in the day.

I think that history is worth something. Anyone else is simply building copies of the original.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of highlander81
posted Hide Post
I lust for one of John Bianchi créations myself.

Frontier Gun Leather

Posts: 444 | Location: Southern Alberta, Canada | Registered: April 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
El Paso Saddlery ACTUALLY SUPPLIED holsters to Old west figures, back in the day.

I think that history is worth something. Anyone else is simply building copies of the original.

A BIG 10-4 on that. I have a S.D. Myres Saddle Company Tom Threepersons design I bought in the late 1960's for a Ruger Super Six Convertible .22LR/.22Mag. Looks as good as new.

That holster design dates from 1920 and was used in his work at the El Paso PD. The design and many others were sold to El Paso Saddlery when S.D. Myres moved to Oklahoma in 1969. How's that for some history. El Paso Saddlery has been in business since 1889. S.D.Myres lasted from 1898-1969.

http://epsaddlery.com/

"“Cherokee”" Tom Threepersons:
http://epsaddlery.com/product/...s-2-to-7-12-barrels/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Threepersons
https://www.vintagegunleather....sdmyres_history.html
https://thelastbestwest.com/ha...reepersons-holsters/

ADDED

Some amateur forum historians with interesting info about S.D. Myres. Apparently, they also made custom leather for Patton, Askins, Jordan, McGivern and other pro's (see poster Old Fluff). And NO, I'm not a paid spokesman for El Paso Saddlery. Smile Just found this stuff interesting.

https://www.thehighroad.org/in...1911-holster.452874/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nipper,

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
TripleK makes gunbelts and holster too.

I'm quite happy with my belt and holster. I did not want a Hollywood gunman rig but something less ostentatious.

Western Holsters

Western Belts

Cartridge belts and Carriers.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome Stuff guys. Lots of choices!

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:

A BIG 10-4 on that. I have a S.D. Myres Saddle Company Tom Threepersons design I bought in the late 1960's for a Ruger Super Six Convertible .22LR/.22Mag. Looks as good as new.

That holster design dates from 1920 and was used in his work at the El Paso PD. The design and many others were sold to El Paso Saddlery when S.D. Myres moved to Oklahoma in 1969. How's that for some history. El Paso Saddlery has been in business since 1889. S.D.Myres lasted from 1898-1969.

http://epsaddlery.com/

"“Cherokee”" Tom Threepersons:
http://epsaddlery.com/product/...s-2-to-7-12-barrels/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Threepersons
https://www.vintagegunleather....sdmyres_history.html
https://thelastbestwest.com/ha...reepersons-holsters/

ADDED

Some amateur forum historians with interesting info about S.D. Myres. Apparently, they also made custom leather for Patton, Askins, Jordan, McGivern and other pro's (see poster Old Fluff). And NO, I'm not a paid spokesman for El Paso Saddlery. Smile Just found this stuff interesting.

https://www.thehighroad.org/in...1911-holster.452874/

Well done!

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I just obtained a Ruger Blackhawk Flattop in .45 (Long) Colt.

Big Grin

My only complaint about El Paso Saddlery (although they did screw up a holster once that I ordered) is that they STINK. Whatever they process them with is some smelly stuff. Okay for general use, not good if you want to hunt with it. It'll take a year or two before it doesn't smell so strong you're afraid to take it in the woods. lol

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
didn't happen with mine FWIW. El Paso is the go to vendor. I'd ask about the above issue of course if hunting is your plan.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Depends on what you want.

If you want a rig that you can ride a horse on, then you want a belt that has smooth leather on the inside. This will let you slide it up from your hips to mount/dismount your pony.

If you want a rig for hiking or Cowboy Action, then you want a belt that is lined in suede. My belt is suede lined.

For a holster, you want one that is smooth leather with a smooth lining. This is 2 thicknesses of leather where the "rough" side is first glued to the rough side of another piece of rough. The result is then sewn to form a holster and molded to the gun.

All the manufacturer's listed make good products. I would also recommend Kirkpatrick. I know some local makers who are also very good.

My rig was made by Rod Kibler, who is a famous maker here in North Georgia. The mouth of the holster is reinforforced using rawhide that is sewn on wet and dries like iron.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear:
Andrews Gunleather.

Well worth the wait, and there is definitely a wait. Not cowboy stuff, but I ordered a belt holster for my SIG P-220-10mm last November. It is now in production and I expect it late this month or early next. Sam Andrews does excellent work. And his new location is just a few blocks from our most favorite gun store's new location (TGS), in St. Augustine.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Rolan, that rig is a jaw-dropper. Wow, just stunning. Eek

Posts: 17123 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Kirkpatrick makes very nice leather goods. Highly recommended.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post