SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    When you go to the range, do you “make a day of it”?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When you go to the range, do you “make a day of it”? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I haven't shot pistols at an indoor range for years. When I did, it was a 1-2 hour event. I would spend a fair portion of this time wandering around the LGS between shooting strings.

Sporting clays sessions last 2-3 hours. Time depends on how many stations I want to shoot, and if I'm focusing on training for a particular type of shot or pair.

Most of my non-match shooting is done at our family ranch. Generally with rifles & carbines, but I tend to finish with some pistol practice as I pull down the steel plates at the end of the day. Most of the time ranch chores are done between shooting strings or stages -- weeding the pasture, fixing fence, chopping yucca, trimming trees. Of course, this extends the total time.

My rifle shooting sessions generally string out for a number of hours from start to finish. I generally walk to steel targets to repaint them, so this consumes some time -- especially when I'm working on targets beyond 600-700 yards.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot once a week at least at an indoor range. Too hot here for outdoor ranges until about November or so. Usually I am in and out in under 30 mins. I'll normally bring 1-2 pistols and usually bring only 100 rds.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
We have two indoor ranges and two outdoor ranges. I like to be comfortable, especially in summer monsoon months so I go only to the indoor ranges. They both charge almost $20/hour, so I joined a gun club. No hourly fee and no time limit.

I typically go for 2 hours a month and shoot 200-300 rds. at each session.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a yearly membership to a local indoor range. I go twice a week, on average, handgun only 99% of the time. I burn through 150-200 rounds each time. Probably an hour or just a bit more door-to-door. If the wife goes, it'll be a little more time, and a lot more ammo. I reload, so don't really pay much attention to ammo costs.

Posts: 56 | Registered: November 29, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
little as 30 minutes at the indoor range, as long as several hours/most of a day if I'm going to the desert.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Under an hour at the indoor range that's about 30 minutes away, shooting pistols almost exclusively. Longer at the outdoor range where I shoot rifles almost exclusively, as there are regular breaks to futz with targets.

I haven't made a day of it in years, since moving from the great white north.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I only shoot rifle/shotgun on rare occasions anymore.

I try to shoot pistols weekly for about an hour during the summer at an indoor range. I shoot a National indoor gallery bullseye match league once a week during the fall, winter, and spring, so I am generally shooting twice a week during those months. Takes about 45 minutes to shoot a match.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Most of my range trips are 30-60 minutes. I have a specific plan of what I am working on. I dry fire three to four nights per week.

The length of the trip is determined by what i want to work on. In the last ten weeks, I have been working on nothing but mechanics. Most of that time, I have been working on one shot draws, draw fire one/reload one, and rhythm drills.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
This time of year I stick to the indoor range, but after an hour that's pretty hot, too. I can only go about once a month, sometimes twice, for about an hour each trip. beyond that I really start to suck due to fatigue. Up in Pinetop we belong to an nice outdoor range (it's just East of Show Low), but I don't get up there as often as I'd like, either, It's about 4 1/2 hours to our place up there.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1677 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I go for around 2 hours, whether it be an indoor range or outdoor.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Less than an hour if I'm firing pistol (100-150 rds) but longer if I'm shooting rifle outside. With the rifle I have to walk the targets down range, when the range is clear.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Depends on where I'm going.

Out to the farm or one of the free MDC ranges? Maybe 30 minutes maybe two hours.

If I drive 1.5 hours to the members only range, I'm there for half a day easily.

And even that's relative to what I'm trying to accomplish and time available. If I'm just trying out a new purchase or dialing in a buddy's scope, the farm is fine for that kind of work. But if I'm working on practical pistol in the boxes, or trying to square away my AR, or pick a round for one of my hunting rifles, it can be an all day affair.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Depends.

Long guns...the day gets more drawn out. Travel time needed to shoot at further distances increases to add to the time needed. Just the time needed to set up targets draws out the day.

Handguns...outdoors I still have to drive a ways. Indoors...I'll dedicate 2-4 hours including time stuck in traffic.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear:
Under an hour at the indoor range that's about 30 minutes away, shooting pistols almost exclusively. Longer at the outdoor range where I shoot rifles almost exclusively, as there are regular breaks to futz with targets.

This is almost exactly my shooting habits. Indoor range, (got a membership to reserve a lane), close to home, I won't ever spend a full hour there. Get my work in, firing more is counter-productive. First loading of mags is done before I leave the house.

Outdoor range is 40ish minutes away where I shoot rifles. That turns into half day easy...most of it wasted sitting around waiting for everyone else to get back to their table.
Nature of the beast at a busy outdoor public range.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
My wife and I are members of a outdoor gun club in east Orlando Florida. It is, depending on the time of the day an hour to an hour and a half from our house.
We shoot anywhere from one to four matches a month so when we are there it is usually all day.
When we do go just for a range day it is usually for several hours because of how long it can take to get there.
My wife runs an event at our club for four hundred ladies every spring called Ladies Day at the Range so we are also usually out at the club for two monthly meetings a month for about 2/3 of the year.
She works half way between where we live and the club so I will take her to work in the morning,picker her up in the afternoon and shoot for about an hour before the meetings.
So in the end we do a little bit of a mix on how much time we spend at the range.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
It gets pretty hot here, so a couple of hours at the range in the morning with pistols and then into town for lunch. Lunch is usually pho.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
No indoor ranges around here. The covered outdoor range is about a 20 minute drive for me. I usually go alone, and sometimes am the only person out there. I go whenever I feel like it, but can't really say I "make a day of it". I'm usually out there about 3 hours or so. I don't go as often in Summer, due to the heat here in Central Arizona. We're usually 10-15° less hot than Phoenix in Summertime, but that still equates to HOTWink

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
30 minutes or less is my usual range time. That's how long I can afford to shoot before I run out of money and ammo. Wink

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My situation is one, you'll agree, that's ideal. We live on a small farm in KY with meadows, and pasture all around the house. I can work up loads for a new gun in the basement and be on my 25 yard line in less than 5 minutes! I'm a shooter first and foremost and most days, no matter which of my handguns I'm carrying, I find time to spend some time on the range. I have a safe rifle range out to 200 yards, for most sighting in, and can go out to 400+ if I do a bit of bush hogging. We've been here 30+ years now, and it's been a shooter's dream. Hope you find a place that's as good...best of luck fellow shooters. Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 725 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
I go around twice per week to the indoor range and will typically spend 30-45 minutes. When going to the outdoor range I will spend 3-4 hours but I do this maybe 5 times per year.

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you
still want to test me, take a step forward.

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post