SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Chiappa Rhino - Should I buy 5 or 6 inch?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chiappa Rhino - Should I buy 5 or 6 inch? Login/Join 
posted
Although it makes no sense at all, I plan to buy one of these in 9mm. It's not a matter of why, but rather, why not.

This will be a range toy only.

I originally thought the 5" but now am leaning toward the 6".
The 4" looks really cool but is too short.
The 5" seems just right and still looks cool.
The 6" seems a bit long and doesn't look as cool but has a top rail in case I want to play with a red dot.
I also have a S&W 929 which is 6" so maybe that helps justify the 6" Rhino for comparison sake.

What say y'all?

Chiappa Rhino 40DS

Chiappa Rhino 50DS

Chiappa Rhino 60DS

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Depami,

Posts: 117 | Registered: August 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I wanted one of these when they first came out. Thought about what it would be like for cleaning and lubrication. Didn't matter either way, because I had to buy tires. Frown

As for me, I'd go for the six inch if it could be had for cheap.

Posts: 9140 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Thought it was one of the ugliest guns ever created but then I had the chance to hold one in the LGS and I was intrigued enough to buy the 40DS model. It is now one of my favorite range guns! While I think the recoil impulse into the wrist is a bit strong in .357 Mag, shooting 38 Special ammo (even +P) is a delight. While it doesn't look it, the grip angle is similar to my Steyr M9-A1.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
For a range gun, the 5 or 6 inch would get my vote.
I've only handled, bit have never shot one. Always been a bit intrigued.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15268 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 4" 40S$W. The grip and the low bore axis make it pretty nice for DA shooting. It really can't be cocked one-handed. And the effort to cock it at all is rather stiff, probably aggravated by the mechanics needed to get to the real hammer. I was startled by the very nearly straight back recoil pulse. Just because you know the theory doesn't mean you know the effect. I like mine.

Posts: 248 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: August 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your input everyone.

I just now ordered the 60DS in 9mm.

An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357p239:
It really can't be cocked one-handed.

Maybe I have strong hands, but I do this all the time.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry I can't offer any information, but please let us know how you like it. I've been looking at the 5" 9mm for years, but never got enough information to decide whether I thought it was worth what Chiappa's asking for it.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I know nothing about them but that is one odd looking pistol. There was a tv show called "Covert Affairs" with Piper Perabo a few years ago. In the CIA, she carried the shorter barreled version.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They have a 3 inch version without the ugly rail, but I have not found one in 9mm in black

Posts: 151 | Registered: September 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
I know nothing about them but that is one odd looking pistol. There was a tv show called "Covert Affairs" with Piper Perabo a few years ago. In the CIA, she carried the shorter barreled version.

There's a reason for the oddness. Not sure if you know but this explains it.
https://youtu.be/YPnFvtP7k70?t=2

Posts: 7348 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Can you make your thread title more descriptive so people don't have to click in to see why you've posted.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm happy with the 6 inch 357 version. And Piper carried the White Rhino, a nickel version.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
The White Rhino is brushed, not nickel. Happy with mine. But I'd grind off that damn rail in a heartbeat, it's useless and ugly.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
But it looks so butch!! Razz

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Have carried a 2” often for years now. I love the things. 357 shoots very mildly, like 38, and 38 feels like 9mm. A 9mm version is going to be a blast, literally. Bottom barrel is highly effective. Some love the looks (me), others hate it. The 4” is the only firearm I even desire to add to my safe. Price and having no need but just really wanting it.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Coldbore
posted Hide Post
6 if you are not going to use it as your primary carry gun.

Posts: 1124 | Location: Pac NW | Registered: September 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Picked it up last night.
It's much lighter than I expected.
Hope to hit the range tonight.

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Pics or it didn't happen.... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad you went 6, that top rail should be on all of them.

Posts: 7446 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post