SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    pmr 30 22 mag for ccw advice
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pmr 30 22 mag for ccw advice Login/Join 
Tuesday was gone when I told her my name is the breeze.
posted
sig pros,
I have been thinking of ccw a pmr 22 mag when i am at church.I know it is a light caliber.

But,i have seen what a 22 mag at 10 to 15 will do to just any varmint up to a fox.I guess 25 rounds of 22 mag,in a very easy to conceal pistol,makes me feel netter than a 5 shot j frame,or a 6 shot revolver.

Recoil is a big issue,as i have had 4 neck fusions,and if recoil is sharp,the cage i have around 4 neck vertebra really hurts.I have 16 screws,2 rods,2 plates,all hooked together around 4 vertebre.

Getting beat with a colt saa army pistol butt 12 time's will break bones.

I have seen stars when i tried to shoot an elk 10 years ago with a 30-06.

Anyway fellas,thiose of you who own a pmr,are you happy with the gun?
Do you have any fte problem'?

Is recoil ok? I shot a amt 6 inch a few years,and the noise was far worse than felt recoil.I can handle the magnum noise.

Thanks for any and all advice.I know there are many 9mm semi auto guns available.But the polymer gun's in a smaller size really jump around in my hand.

Posts: 1796 | Location:  | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
No experience with the PMR, and only experience in a different caliber (9mm), but have you considered the Ruger LCR in 22 Mag? I think it's 8 rounds and has a much smaller print to ccw.

And with the rubber grip my 9mm had no problem fitting my hand. Solidly.

Btw, I'd hate to get hit with that cartridge.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FWIW I’ve heard some horror stories about the older pmr30s, but I’ve had mine for probably about a year with 0 issues. I love that gun it’s extremely light weight, very little recoil, and 30rds of 22mag is no joke.. Personally it’s a little large for me to carry (I prefer a j-frame in my pocket), but a very fun gun...

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks one stop,
I also heard of earlier pmr problem's.I have to grip a gun fairly hard ,so i can get as much recoil in my hand and arm.

I dont want a gun flipping my arm or hand and going up into my neck.I guess i am in the accuracy is best camp.I know what a 22 mag at 5 to 10 feet in between the eyeball of bad guy can do.

I am hoping and thinking that 22 mag coming at you is better than nothing at all.

For years,the main varmint round on small animals was the 22 mag.

I even think i saw 17 hmr varmint pistol somewhere.

Posts: 1796 | Location:  | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The Grendel P30 is the father of the Kel-Tec PMR30. When I owned the P30, it was a joy to shoot. Yeah, it's magnum, but it's a .22 WMR. It's nothing to worry about in terms of recoil.

Q

Posts: 26375 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My recommendation would be to go with something a bit more capable. My experience is limited to two different pmr 30's that were not my guns. Both of them were not jam- o-matics per say, but certainly had more failures to feed and eject that I would tolerate in a defensive gun. I understand about the recoil. I think there is an attractive option that has less felt recoil but much better-stopping power.

Ruger's sp101 in 327 federal mag.
https://www.ruger.com/products...specSheets/5773.html
6 rounds,
you can use the 327 federal mag down to 32 acp. This would allow you to find an ammo that fits your recoil level specifically. While having a heavier firearm to soak up the recoil.

quote:
The .32 H&R, .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, and even the .32 ACP (because it’s actually a semi-rimmed case) can be safely fired in a .327. Hornady makes a .32 H&R round with an 85-grain XTP bullet at 1,150 fps that is a terrific load for the .327. Federal also makes .32 H&R ammunition.

Here is a very nice right up.
https://www.thefirearmblog.com...p101-327-fed-magnum/

Here is one on the cartrige.
https://gundigest.com/handguns...e-327-federal-magnum

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“but have you considered the Ruger LCR in 22 Mag? I think it's 8 rounds”

My LCR .22 mag is a six shooter. The .22LR model holds 8.

Posts: 26901 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
A Glock 17 or 19 with Critical defense is very light recoiling. I would try some light SD ammo in a bigger pistol before I went with a rim fire for Self defense.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would not consider an PMR easy to conceal. But on the other hand I would rather have that than nothing. On the other/other hand I own several Keltec's and I know quite a few people personally who own them (not just PMR's) and I don't know a single model that did not have substantial issues that demanded a trip or multiple trips back for repairs.
Not that they are not good about that, they are. But the stuff is imo generally not self defense ready even if its innovative. On your recoil issues if size isn't really an issue the FN5.7 is pretty darn lightly recoiling even in its most zippy forms. But since you didn't really comment on weight as an issue so would be any modern 9mm that is somewhat heavy framed.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With the history of the PMR30 (a coworker got one despite my advice and he had all the FTF problems I told him to expect), and Kel-Tec in general, I don't consider them defensive pistols. Fine for range toys, where malfunctions are just inconvenient.

On top of that, you said you're in the camp of a .22 mag between the eyes is good enough. Well, that's great and all to say that, but doing it when it counts is another story. The "shot placement" theory is fine until you realize that unless you have ice in your veins and amazing ability to predict movement, you're not going to be "placing" your shots. It is important where shots ultimately land, but way too many shooter egos truly believe it's gonna be their "shot placement" when in fact it's gonna be "lucky shot location".

As to other options, maybe something like the Bodyguard EZ. Not too small, chambered in .380 and Browning, rather than direct blowback. Otherwise, an all metal like the P229 in 9mm and play with bullet weight (obviously stay away from +p) to see what feels best.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
I have a PMR30. Haven't shot it tons, but it's been very reliable for me. My concern would be the weight of the gun would be easy to carry, but the size will make it hard to conceal.

I see you don't want a revolver, but have you considered getting a revolver in a .32 caliber? Get a Ruger LCR in .327 Federal and you can use cartridges from .32 Short, .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R Magnum, as well as .327 Federal. My .32 revolvers are very light recoiling with the lower-powered cartridges such as the .32 S&W Long.

Something in there ought to be JUST right!

Wink

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks 12131 and everyone else.I agree with all of you.The reliability is a big issue.

I had 2 fn guns last year,but both new in box guns were stolen out of my truck,in my garage,when my wife left garage door open while she mowed grass.Then dirty bastards are thick as fleas here.

All of the home invasions are punks robbing to sell at anything at a giveaway price just for drugs.

Anyway, i think a 5.7 is going to be my ccw gun.I have 2022 i love.some cz tacticals,etc.Even a 327 smith wesson 8 shot would be ok.

I used to work at a dealer for years,part time.i have tried the ccw 9mm ammo.Low recoil,etc.

In my testing i loaded 3 mags with every kind of bullet weight.From 90 grain low recoil to 140 grain jhp,i had at least 6 different bullets and sizes.

In all honesty,i could not tell any difference in lower felt recoil on the 9mm,with every style and brand and weight on todays market.

I am going to get a 5.7 again.I have the sig sauer p6/225 shoulder holster made exclusivly for the p6 yeaars ago.I had a chance to buy 5 of them for 25.00 at my dealer and i did.That under arm holster will hold any size large frame 1911,or glock,or any polymer gun.

A 5.7 under my arm in a loose shirt will conceal fine,and we all know what a 5.7 round will do.Thanks for keeping my thinking straight sig folks.

posted Hide Post
Cannot recommend shooting .32 acp in revolvers chambered for 327. The rim size is not only smaller, it is thinner and can result in failure to fire. The .327, 32 H&R mag., 32 S&W long and short share the same case heads. The acp does not.

Posts: 547 | Location: Dothan, Alabama | Registered: August 27, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
Can’t speak for older PMR 30s, but the one I’ve had for just over a year has been totally reliable. 30gr Hornady V-Max, Winchester 30gr Varmint HV, CCI 40gr MaxiMag, and Armscorp 40gr all have performed well for me. Recoil is very mild.

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
.22 TCM is a fun new round. My buddy has one of these it's a blast to shoot. Loud as hell, very light recoil, huge muzzle flash and 2,000 fps.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.c...ltra-fs-in-22tcm9mm/

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd take a hard look at the S&W M&P Shield .380 EZ and 90 grain premium defense ammo like Critical Defense, Hornady Custom or Low Recoil Hydra Shoks. I bought the version without the manual thumb safety. It is a soft shooter. It won't break the bank, either.

Posts: 201 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: August 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
“but have you considered the Ruger LCR in 22 Mag? I think it's 8 rounds”

My LCR .22 mag is a six shooter. The .22LR model holds 8.

I have a pair of Ruger LCR.22 WMR's. I carry them when I move around my condo building since their easy and safe to keep in my pockets and I carry one as BUG. just make sure to get ammo that will burn up within a 2 inch barrel and that is developed for self-defense. I carry hornet he critical self-defense 22 WMR handgun ammo. In one test done comparing different manufacturers of similar ammo the hornet he achieved a 15 inch penetration in ballistic gel.

Here is a link to the article. Scroll down to see the ballistic testing.

https://www.americanrifleman.o...er&utm_campaign=1017

Also consider the new S&W M&P 380 EZ.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As you probably know, 22 WMR is not a reliable ignition source for a semiautomatic pistol. Recently this pistol made the NRA gun of the week but about 4 years ago they did a negative article on it on how the rounds could easily jam and it was not a reliable self-defense gun. It would be better to get to Ruger LCR's in .22 WMR which would be a reliable ignition source and use 22 Magnum handgun ammo for critical self-defense. You want ammo that will burn up quickly in a handgun since most 22 is meant to burn slowly and needs an 18 inch barrel.

Here is an article on some 22 Magnum self-defense ammo

https://www.americanrifleman.o...er&utm_campaign=1017

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I oredered a sw 380 ez.The biggger grip reallys me squeeze the grip,so i can control the gun more.I know it sounds wimpish guys,but i just turned 63,i am 6'2 200 pounds,worked all my life,but my right arms muscles dont have the squeeze strength from the surgery's and age.

But i want to be able to have some kind of ccw gun.

Thanks for the guns america write up on the 22 mag.I sure have seen small varmint's ripped to shreds ,looking a lot worse than the gelatin tests show.

posted Hide Post
I like the idea of a 5.7 over the .22 mag for sure.

I think you may be over-thinking it though. A G19 is easy to carry and conceal and recoil is less than any snub would be. It won't jump in the hand like the smaller polymer guns either.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post