SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    sig 226 x-5 stainless...discoloration of mag pads and jet funnel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

sig 226 x-5 stainless...discoloration of mag pads and jet funnel Login/Join 
posted
hi
my x-5 has the bead blast finish low luster mag bases and jet funnel, but they are discoloring, perhaps oxidising? i am not sure if i have put oil on them and they shouldnt be oiled or why...any ideas on how to remove it other than polishing which will give me a shiny non original look? thanks in advance

Posts: 75 | Location: up here in Australia | Registered: April 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I believe they are aluminum alloy. An abrasive like Scotch Brite would satin finish them. Only way to keep them original is fine bead or sand blast. You can halt oxidation with a fine spray lube like WD40, BreakFree or something of the like. Keep in mind, being a sand blasted finish will also pick up particulates from handling when shooting and loading. Some of this may well come off with a nice clean, fine lube like Break Free.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks mate i was thinking that, i might just polish them

Posts: 75 | Location: up here in Australia | Registered: April 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Mine are all in the exact condition you describe.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post