SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New Steyr M9A1...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Steyr M9A1... Login/Join 
Picture of gunguru123
posted
Picked it up today. Excellent ergo's and trigger on the Steyr M9A1, just like the range gun I used. I don't think the Range gun was the M9A1 however, maybe the L-A1 as it seemed larger. This gun is very much G19 to G17 size. It carries 17+1 with the +2 base plates. I will test in the next few days. The gun came with night sights, no trapezoid sights so that is nice. I put it next to my CZ P10C, another gun with an amazing out of the box trigger. This trigger is probably better than the P10C IMO. Like the CZ, very low bore axis. First brand new Steyr I've seen, only seen some used ones, generally beat up a bit.

Sig P220 Elite Dark, W. German 220/226 Navy/226 Tac Ops/226R Stainless/228/229 Legion/229R/M11-A1D

Glocks, HK, Walther, XDs, etc, etc...

Posts: 1043 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I'm interested in how it shoots. I had an M9A1 and it was very finicky even after I replaced the extractor. I got rid of it soon after.

I always wanted to love it to go with my AUG. Especially the trapezoidal sights.

Photo Aug 04, 5 01 05 PM by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
My buddy has a Steyr he bought new around 10 years ago. They are underrated guns. The trigger is great and I happen to like the triangle sights. They're fast and pretty precise. The ergos are very good too.

I prefer it over Glock. Of course it can't touch Glock in parts availability and aftermarket support.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
I have an old M9 Steyr. It is a great little pistol. I haven’t had any problems with it yet. It was used when I bought it so the round count is unknown.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really want to shoot one of these.

Let us know how it goes !

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gunguru123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
I'm interested in how it shoots. I had an M9A1 and it was very finicky even after I replaced the extractor. I got rid of it soon after.

I always wanted to love it to go with my AUG. Especially the trapezoidal sights.

Photo Aug 04, 5 01 05 PM by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Sweet pic!

Sig P220 Elite Dark, W. German 220/226 Navy/226 Tac Ops/226R Stainless/228/229 Legion/229R/M11-A1D

Posts: 1043 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a L9A1. It's a nice gun, but it doesn't like the weaker 115g range ammo. It runs flawlessly on the 124g nato stuff though. I'm hoping it eventually breaks in enough to tolerate the cheap stuff.

Posts: 220 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: May 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I purchased a new M40-A1 in mid-November. It was built in April, 2017. I've put 596 rounds on it without a problem. I am very pleased with the handling and performance.

Posts: 8 | Registered: September 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mike718
posted Hide Post
I also have picked up the Steyr M9A1 a couple months ago. This is a very under rated gun, the only con for the gun is non tactile and audio reset. I shot the 500 rds of Magtech 115gr FMJ with no issue and it felt like shooting a 22lr.

NRA Member

Posts: 177 | Location: VA | Registered: October 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gunguru123
posted Hide Post
Okay, this is a very easy gun to shoot. It has very low recoil and the trigger is excellent. Might be the best out of the box Ive shot. The CZ P10C, PPQ and a few others have excellent triggers but this gun has an amazing trigger. Very little, if any take-up, a clean, crisp light break and a short reset. If anything, I wish the reset was a bit louder as it an catch you by surprise.

As for the range session, I shot 100 rounds of WWB 124gr FMJ, 50 round of Monarch steel cased 115gr, 50 round of Speer Gold Dot 124+p JHP, 50 round of Speer Gold Dot 115gr JHP and 50 rounds of Remington Golden Sabre 124+p BJHP and finally, 60 rounds of Critical Duty 135gr JHP. If my math adds up, that is 360 rounds of FMJ and JHP for its initial break-in with no issues at all. Ate it all like butter, no failures or stoppages. Next outing, will be more FMJ, probably 115gr type, HST 147 and 124gr JHP, Federal 115 +p+ JHP and probably Critical Duty 135 +p JHP.

Had a fun time shooting this gun, low recoil (even for a 9), very accurate, great trigger, excellent gun to shoot.

An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite pistols and my only polymer, striker fired pistol left in my collection after owning the other “majors”. Did you purchase it prior to year’s end and have the opportunity for the $50 rebate?
The M9-A1’s trigger is awesome, although I too wish the reset was more audible and tactile. Felt recoil is negligible, particularly after a few simple mods I made that haven’t impacted the gun’s reliability thus far. I’ve shot 115 - 147 grain JHPs from a dozen manufacturers and have yet to experience a malfunction.

There’s more after market accessories than many know of. Here’s what I’ve installed on my M9-A1:
1. Perforated leather grips from Traction Grips
2. Grip plug from BT Guiderods
3. DPMS recoil reducer
4. Brass frame weight from Ranger Point Store, which drops into the frame just below the guiderod, secured by two set screws - no frame modification necessary. Provides an add’l 1.3 ounces of weight up front to reduce flip/recoil in an invisible manner (at least invisible when the Steyr isn’t disassembled)

Hope you enjoy the new acquisition as much as I have!

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
i have owned around half a dozen Steyr pistols over the years. they are my second favorite brand. they do tend to like hotter ammo, but i have never had any malfunctions with weaker 9mm. just some erratic ejections on occasion. even that tends to go away after they are good and broken in. all of my Steyrs have much tighter tolerances than most other polymer guns, with HK as a possible exception. i plan to pick up another L9-A1 in a few months. looking for one with a factory threaded barrel. i carry one of my C9-A1 pistols daily and have for years now. it is my go to gun for EDC. if they ever make one that is optics ready, all will be right in my world.

dozer

"She's got a cherry-handled pistol in her lollipop pocket." Five Horse Johnson

Posts: 3515 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
Do people actually 'listen' for the reset while shooting? I guess it's because I usually only shoot matches but I never understood the benefit of an 'audible' reset.

I have an Steyr L9 and I don't know if the reset is audible or not. It does shoot well, however.

Posts: 4075 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
low recoil (even for a 9)

I've been known to compare shooting an M9A1 to a squirtgun, particularly after shooting a Steyr in 357SIG or .40 - both of which also seem to have remarkably low recoil for the cartridge and the size of the pistol.

It'll never happen, but I still dream of getting my mitts on an L in 357SIG - even though I hate having that safety tab in the face of the trigger, the other virtues of the design blow my little mind.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gunguru123
posted Hide Post
Love my Steyr M9A1, need another one, maybe the Steyr S9A1.

Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I've got a M357-A1 I'll never sell it. I also like the trapazoid sights, but understand how people can find them difficult to use.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do believe that the steyrs will take sig sights. I’m not %100 positive but I know it’s either sig or a other popular manufacturers sights that it can use. But I like em too. My first pistol was the original steyr m9 and I’m still kicking myself for letting it go

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gunguru123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
I do believe that the steyrs will take sig sights. I’m not %100 positive but I know it’s either sig or a other popular manufacturers sights that it can use. But I like em too. My first pistol was the original steyr m9 and I’m still kicking myself for letting it go

Mine came with night sights, no trapezoid sights. So nothing different that what's on my other guns, it helps.

posted Hide Post
Il Cattivo -

Rim Country Mfg. has made 357 SIG drop in conversion barrels for the Steyr S/C/M/L .40 S&W pistols. I bought one for my L40-A1 and the quality is superb.
I haven't made it to the range yet with mine, but others have and they are very satisfied.

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred! - Henry Cabot Henhouse III, aka "SuperChicken"

Posts: 132 | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ HMMMMM. Thank you for the tip!

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post