SIGforum
New Steyr M9A1...

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/2680055534

January 10, 2018, 07:14 PM
SamColtFan
New Steyr M9A1...
I've owned several M9-A1s, two of which are gray market guns from an importer. The Steyr M9s are amazing pistols that are accurate, function well (for me), have better triggers than all of the big name brand pistols except for possibly a Colt Series 70, 1911. Mine have no roll pin under the sight that were allegedly installed to improve the trigger. My older pistols have better triggers than the newer improved versions. That being said, the new triggers work well and are very light. Great pistols that are often overlooked.
January 12, 2018, 02:30 PM
Pittwm
quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:
My buddy has a Steyr he bought new around 10 years ago. They are underrated guns. The trigger is great and I happen to like the triangle sights. They're fast and pretty precise. The ergos are very good too.

I prefer it over Glock. Of course it can't touch Glock in parts availability and aftermarket support.

I also had one of the CDNN bastardized M9... people called it the horrible trigger at the time, Little did we know all the great striker trigger now is similar in fell to the the M9.
January 30, 2018, 05:25 AM
limblessbiff
I just traded in my XDM 9 in for a steyr L9-A1 and holy crap I wish I did this years ago! This thing shoots so flat and fast, and feels just about as good in my hand as my hk p30sk
January 30, 2018, 05:39 AM
Bob RI
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
I just traded in my XDM 9 in for a steyr L9-A1 and holy crap I wish I did this years ago! This thing shoots so flat and fast, and feels just about as good in my hand as my hk p30sk

Congrats! Which sights did you opt for?
January 30, 2018, 04:32 PM
limblessbiff
It has the trap sights, I didn’t know they came from the factory with anything else
January 30, 2018, 07:24 PM
Bob RI
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
It has the trap sights, I didn’t know they came from the factory with anything else

You can get truglo TFX nightsights as well. I’m tempted to try the trap sights as I’ve never tried them before...can always change them out.
January 30, 2018, 09:02 PM
limblessbiff
I like the trap sights, they are a little weird at first but they are very fast and easy to be accurate with.
February 02, 2018, 07:34 AM
Bob RI
quote:
Originally posted by gunguru123:
Okay, this is a very easy gun to shoot. It has very low recoil and the trigger is excellent. Might be the best out of the box Ive shot. The CZ P10C, PPQ and a few others have excellent triggers but this gun has an amazing trigger. Very little, if any take-up, a clean, crisp light break and a short reset. If anything, I wish the reset was a bit louder as it an catch you by surprise.

As for the range session, I shot 100 rounds of WWB 124gr FMJ, 50 round of Monarch steel cased 115gr, 50 round of Speer Gold Dot 124+p JHP, 50 round of Speer Gold Dot 115gr JHP and 50 rounds of Remington Golden Sabre 124+p BJHP and finally, 60 rounds of Critical Duty 135gr JHP. If my math adds up, that is 360 rounds of FMJ and JHP for its initial break-in with no issues at all. Ate it all like butter, no failures or stoppages. Next outing, will be more FMJ, probably 115gr type, HST 147 and 124gr JHP, Federal 115 +p+ JHP and probably Critical Duty 135 +p JHP.

Had a fun time shooting this gun, low recoil (even for a 9), very accurate, great trigger, excellent gun to shoot.

Did you notice any weak ejection? I’m about to order one of these and have noted a few comments/videos showing weak ejection and some BTF from apparently current generation examples...not sure if user error or ammo etc. I can deal with less than brisk ejection but not a fan of BTF.
February 02, 2018, 11:44 AM
Il Cattivo
Pardon me for interrupting, but what's BTF?
February 02, 2018, 11:47 AM
Tompow
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

Built Ford Tuff !!!!
February 02, 2018, 12:09 PM
Bob RI
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

Brass to face

Go to the 13:00 mark for a great example ( granted this is 40 S&W and not 9mm).

https://youtu.be/hj7rWjE9YWs
February 02, 2018, 12:29 PM
goforbroke
I just picked up a L40-A1 only put 150 rounds through it, without any issues.

I'm always on the lookout for fullsize guns that handle 40sw well, and this gun handles it better then any other polymer 40 I own. It shoots very flat for a 40sw gun and it's not a boat anchor either.

It's nice shooter, but I can't get down with the trapezoid sights. They work great for self defense quick acquisition pick-up but from a precise target shooting standpoint they leave a lot to be desired.

Plan on installing some truglo's on mine.
February 02, 2018, 12:45 PM
Il Cattivo
Thanks, Bob.
February 02, 2018, 01:01 PM
Bob RI
quote:
Originally posted by goforbroke:
I just picked up a L40-A1 only put 150 rounds through it, without any issues.

I'm always on the lookout for fullsize guns that handle 40sw well, and this gun handles it better then any other polymer 40 I own. It shoots very flat for a 40sw gun and it's not a boat anchor either.

It's nice shooter, but I can't get down with the trapezoid sights. They work great for self defense quick acquisition pick-up but from a precise target shooting standpoint they leave a lot to be desired.

Plan on installing some truglo's on mine.

Thanks for the info.