SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    If you were only going to own one 1911?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you were only going to own one 1911? Login/Join 
Picture of Terminator
posted Hide Post
Springfield Professional. When I decided I wanted a 1911, This is the one I decided on, and finally found one thanks to my buddy Gurney at Buds. Pleased is an understatement.

Posts: 641 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: March 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Managed to narrow it down to 3, after my Cabelas bucks:

Colt-Wiley Clapp-340.00
Dan Wesson Valor-440.00
Dan Wesson Heritage-640.00

The VaLor has some normal wear, Colt is in better shape, Heritage is in excellent shape. Really leaning towards the Heritage but my gut says to get the one one with the pony on it.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Wilson combat.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:

Colt-Wiley Clapp-340.00
Dan Wesson Valor-440.00

The VaLor has some normal wear, Colt is in better shape, Heritage is in excellent shape. Really leaning towards the Heritage but my gut says to get the one one with the pony on it.

I don't think you would regret the WC Colt.

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At one time I had several 1911's but I gave them to my Son's except for the Delta Elite. They can fight over it when
I'm under the grass

Posts: 151 | Location: west Florida | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
I have a mint blued Dan Wesson Valor .45 that I really like. I sometimes want to add a Colt, but the recent ones I have owned were not near the same level. It would have to be a nice 70 Series from the 70's or something. So basically $$$$.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobC2:
I have a mint blued Dan Wesson Valor .45 that I really like. I sometimes want to add a Colt, but the recent ones I have owned were not near the same level. It would have to be a nice 70 Series from the 70's or something. So basically $$$$.

I was literally decided on the Wiley Clapp when I was watching some review on it and saw that all the reviewers had a grip safety that sounded like a bag of bolts when you shake the gun, lots of slop. I dont recall that on the Sig, Springfield or Ruger 1911's ive owned.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you don’t already own a 1911 I’d suggest a standard Government model from what ever manufacturer and at what ever price range that fits your wallet.

When I say, “standard Government model” I’m referring more to a full size, 5” barrel in .45 ACP rather than parkerized, etc., though there’s nothing wrong with a bare bones milsurp either.

For myself at this later stage in my life if I could only keep just one it would most likely be my Star PD.

Posts: 90 | Location: SW VA | Registered: January 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Caspian 4.25" .45acp, I built for myself. Kart hard fit barrel,EGW ambi safty, Cylinder & Slide fire control and Wilson Bullet Proof for most of the rest. It is accurate and reliable.

Posts: 141 | Registered: June 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Sig Tac-ops 4" flawless.

Posts: 2765 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I was literally decided on the Wiley Clapp when I was watching some review on it and saw that all the reviewers had a grip safety that sounded like a bag of bolts when you shake the gun, lots of slop. I dont recall that on the Sig, Springfield or Ruger 1911's ive owned.

I don't understand. You mean you hold it by the barrel and shake it to see if it makes noise? Aren't you holding the wrong end when you do that? I guess I'll have to go upstairs and see if mine does that. I've never noticed it making that noise when I am shooting it. It is quite accurate too.

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Those are all some good choices. If ‘twas me, I’d select the Valor.

DW (sadly) discontinued the Valor line recently, and they were a real contender for all-around great-value 1911. Not to knock the Heritage - looks like a solid pistol, it’s just that (to me) the Valor had more going for it.

I want to embrace the Colt WC as it also hits a LOT of strong notes with me (good sights, blue finish, single thumb safety, no FCS, and the like); however, I can attest to that rattling grip safety comment made earlier. I had a WC stainless Commander for a while. Really good 1911, but that GS rattled like the proverbial castanet. It’s not that it couldn’t be fixed but, as also noted, I’ve had no other 1911s that did that. To be sure, the gun functioned just fine - the rattle just bugged me.

quote:

Colt-Wiley Clapp-340.00
Dan Wesson Valor-440.00

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I think you'd do fine with any of the 3......I'd go back to the store, handle all 3 and really look at them and how they feel when racking the slide, the trigger, sights etc......and see if one just jumps out at you. If none of them do, you could always wait and see what pops up in the next few weeks.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of VMAN
posted Hide Post
I’ve had several 1911’s and I really like my Colt National Match Gold Cup for the money.

Posts: 354 | Location: Savage, Minnesota | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
My Colt WWI repro.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tarheelfan84
posted Hide Post
If I could only own one, it would be my Hillsdale built Les Baer SRP. If you are thinking Colt, I would take a hard look at the Wiley Clapp series.

Posts: 675 | Location: WNC  | Registered: March 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of those you narrowed it down to, I'd get the Valor.

Posts: 1359 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Wilson combat.

^^^^^^
This for me too!

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

Posts: 367 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I decided to buy my 1st 1911 style pistol. I only wanted to own one 1911 and after a lot of research I picked up a lightly used Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special. It has been everything that one could wish for in a 1911 pistol.
The only change to this pistol was to swap out the slim style grips with a full size grip. I found that it was a better grip size for me.

Front sight...Front sight...Front sight...Only Hits Count.
NRA Life Member
Frank John Boy -Police Lingo

Posts: 125 | Registered: July 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Springfield TRP Operator.

Posts: 109 | Location: Fort Wayne, IN. | Registered: February 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post