SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    If you were only going to own one 1911?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you were only going to own one 1911? Login/Join 
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
If I were only going to have one, it would probably be a Colt Gold Cup Commander with Ivory Stocks and yes I think it needs to be chambered for the 45 ACP

Some people do have a preference for the 5" 1911s so I would still go Colt Gold Cup

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have owned 10-11 1911s
Most in the $700-1200
Most expensive was a Springfield TRP
My favorite was S&W stainless E series 45
Second Springfield RO 9mm

Posts: 1175 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
I've owned a few 1911's over the years (all Colt) sold them all with the exception of my first one I bought in '87. Basic Gov't model in 45. I carried it for 25 years & I cannot recall ever having an issue at all. My only other 1911 is a DW "Guardian" in 38 Super. I cannot extol it's virtues enough! Best production 1911 I've ever seen & 38 Super is a great round. It is my favorite handgun. Give DW another look. Yu definitely get your moneys worth.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I've owned more than a dozen 1911s over the years. I currently own 3.
Colt Government Model
Springfield TRP
Dan Wesson Valor

The Colt is a perfectly respectable example of the classic 1911. GI grip safety, standard hammer, old school.

The Dan Wesson is a very high quality evolution of the concept. Beautiful bluing, incredible fit and finish (for a production gun), and beavertail grip safety. No front serrations. A beautiful gun.

The TRP is a tank. Only one of the three with a bit of creep in the trigger (it's still pretty nice), utilitarian finish, g10 grips. It's a grippy, ugly, totally reliable and stunningly accurate pistol.

If I could only keep one Id have a hard time choosing between the Valor and the TRP. If it was a gun I was planning to keep for enjoyment and carry occasionally, the Valor. If it was going to be a regular carry weapon, the TRP.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Just one?

SVI in 38 Super.

Posts: 9104 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
I went down this road about 3 years ago, I wanted one 1911 and didn’t have the budget to get a Wilson or a nighthawk so I “settled” for a Dan Wesson valor.

Same here and it has treated me well so far.

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Im not denying Dan Wesson is a fine 1911, it was on my long list a few weeks back when I was telling myself "if youre only going to have one, make it a good one" I really just can't justify 1100.00 price tag for the Pointman with the other guns in the 7-800 range depending.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I have sold all my 1911s except for my Colt Wiley Clapp Lightweight Commander. It checks all the boxes for me. Series 70, Pete Single 25 lpi checkering, National Match barrel, long trigger with no arched mainspring housing, and no front cocking serrations. Accurate, reliable, and a looker! It is over $1000 though.

Posts: 6604 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
My one and only 1911 (V Bob) , for the money , I couldn't fine a better one. Bought it and stopped looking for 1911s.

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2743 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a range gun my Springfield Trophy Match.

For everything else my Springfield MC Operator.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you were only going to own one 1911?

I only own one 1911.

It's a Colt O1991. Standard blued model. I added Colt medallion grips and changed the polymer backstrap for a metal one.

It's only a range piece anyway, so why not have an original. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Colt .380 Government Model.

Life's been good to me so far

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And this, too,
shall pass away
Picture of Drifting Fate
posted Hide Post
Cut my teeth on Jeff Cooper's writings as a kid, and so gravitated to the 1911 quickly when I was (nearly) old enough thanks to an understanding father.

Had pretty much all of the sizes and, after owning somewhere in the mid-20's examples, have a few opinions.

First, a 5", steel framed, .45ACP is just magical. Things have come a long ways, but I'm kicking myself for not getting into the semi-custom offerings, such as Wilson and Nighthawk, sooner. In all fairness, Wilson was just starting out when I was buying and customizing and Nighthawk was far off in the future.

Second, after many years away from what I now realize was always meant for me, I've returned to the fold. My personal 1911 choice is a Nighthawk, LW Commander, in 9mm. I'm 9mm heavy in my collection, the Commander slide seems to work best in 9mm, and the aluminum frame is preferred for daily carry. That being said, that's MY choice matching MY needs.

I positively lust after a 10MM Gov't model worked over by Jason Burton/Heirloom Precision, but I own enough guns the a caliber dalliance isn't much of a deal. Likewise, .38 Super sings in a 1911. Still, I recommend the .45ACP - it's the natural and historic pick.

To whit, buy quality, and in a 1911 that COSTS. No way around it in a world where a design from the age of cheap labor and costly machines is being made when machining is cheap and labor expensive. So be it. I like Nighthawk, but wouldn't hesitate to use a Wilson. They just are with the $$$ if you want a serious pistol out of the box.

While I carry something somewhat different, I own and enjoy the 5" steel framed .45. It sets the standard and created the legend.

Buy once, cry once.

Posts: 3679 | Location: AZ | Registered: June 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
Heres where im at in order of preference, coincidentally, price goes up as you go down the list:

These 1911s I would never own because of that basic and ugly thing atop their slides rear. It presents a good sight picture but I would find a pistol with a quality adjustable rear sight. The highest praise I've givin to any fixed sight model was for the CZ which was offered in limited numbers. No Novak again will I own.

Posts: 17889 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
For a range gun my Springfield Trophy Match.

For everything else my Springfield MC Operator.
Trophy Match is a great choice.

Posts: 17889 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I carried this Nighthawk Custom GRPII for the last year and a half that I worked as a LEO. Since my retirement in 2008, I still carry it frequently, and its proven itself as being not only reliable, but extremely accurate. The 3/4" difference between it's "Commander" sized barrel and a regular (5") Government model 1911 isn't enough to really matter as far as ballistics are concerned, but seems to really enhance its balance. I have five or six 1911s, but this is definitely the one!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I owned a Springfield Champion for a while. I just never got around to the idea of a 1911 as a carry gun. I like my lightweight plastic for that sort of thing anymore. Instead of trying to make myself like it, I turned it into a 1943 Remington-Rand, which I like much better. It's a piece of history, it surely seems to have "been there and done that" and while it doesn't see a lot of time at the range, I do enjoy putting a few rounds through it.

There's times I think it might be nice to acquire a fancy 1911, and then I immediately have the thought of "what's it gonna do that the other stuff you own doesn't, and what are you going to do with it that justifies it?" And then I'm good for a while. How long that's gonna play out is anyone's guess.

quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:
Some people do have a preference for the 5" 1911s so I would still go Colt Gold Cup

http://calzaretta.com/scans/gold%20cup%20trophy2.jpg

That is a fine-looking pistol there, sir. Probably, at some point, I'll end up picking up a stainless or nickel Colt Gold Cup National Match. My father carried one on duty many years ago, and he traded it in on a 4" Smith 686 because he felt he shot revolvers better. That Colt was the first centerfire pistol I ever shot, and I wouldn't mind mastering the target gun the old man couldn't handle. I was giving some serious thought to it this whole last year, but it just wasn't in the budget.

Posts: 17043 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I owned a Wilson CQB in 9mm. That was a superb pistol, and in 9mm it was a pussycat to shoot. I know some famous shooters use a 1911 in 9mm, because of the punishment a large volume of .45 rounds did to their wrists over time.

I sold me because it was the only pistol I owned that had an external safety, and it was tripping me up when under pressure. Decided to keep things simple, to head off possible issues in the future. For defensive use, 10 rounds of high quality 9mm may be better than 8 of .45.

-c1steve

Posts: 4039 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
I have had multiple 1911’s over the years. I still have a few. I have Colts in 45, and a Delta in stainless. I also have all 3 versions of the TRP.....no rail, Operator half rail, and Operator full rail. My favorite is the standard TRP, hands down. At some point I would like to try a Nighthawk or Les Bauer, but that’s twice the money, and I can’t see it being twice the gun.

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2490 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Springfield Range Officer that shot so good, I sold/traded all of my 1911's, including a Kimber Warrior. A few years back, I bought a new Colt Competition Model and it shot better than my Springfield did.

I also just traded 2 Gen 5 Glocks for a new, unfired early 90's Colt Combat Elite to replace one that I got rid of years ago.

I would take either one of those.

Now, if there were no budget and I could pick whatever I wanted, it would be a stainless Nighthawk Custom Firehawk. Especially if they ever make it in 10mm

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post