SIGforum
If you were only going to own one 1911?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/2670049064

September 19, 2019, 12:11 PM
Terminator
If you were only going to own one 1911?
Springfield Professional. When I decided I wanted a 1911, This is the one I decided on, and finally found one thanks to my buddy Gurney at Buds. Pleased is an understatement.
September 19, 2019, 09:38 PM
WARPIG602
Managed to narrow it down to 3, after my Cabelas bucks:

Colt-Wiley Clapp-340.00
Dan Wesson Valor-440.00
Dan Wesson Heritage-640.00

The VaLor has some normal wear, Colt is in better shape, Heritage is in excellent shape. Really leaning towards the Heritage but my gut says to get the one one with the pony on it.

September 19, 2019, 10:14 PM
ruger357
Wilson combat.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
September 19, 2019, 10:46 PM
Ogie
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:

Colt-Wiley Clapp-340.00
Dan Wesson Valor-440.00

The VaLor has some normal wear, Colt is in better shape, Heritage is in excellent shape. Really leaning towards the Heritage but my gut says to get the one one with the pony on it.

I don't think you would regret the WC Colt.
September 20, 2019, 06:50 AM
104RFAST
At one time I had several 1911's but I gave them to my Son's except for the Delta Elite. They can fight over it when
I'm under the grass
September 21, 2019, 05:12 PM
RobC2
I have a mint blued Dan Wesson Valor .45 that I really like. I sometimes want to add a Colt, but the recent ones I have owned were not near the same level. It would have to be a nice 70 Series from the 70's or something. So basically $$$$.
September 22, 2019, 05:56 AM
WARPIG602
quote:
Originally posted by RobC2:
I have a mint blued Dan Wesson Valor .45 that I really like. I sometimes want to add a Colt, but the recent ones I have owned were not near the same level. It would have to be a nice 70 Series from the 70's or something. So basically $$$$.

I was literally decided on the Wiley Clapp when I was watching some review on it and saw that all the reviewers had a grip safety that sounded like a bag of bolts when you shake the gun, lots of slop. I dont recall that on the Sig, Springfield or Ruger 1911's ive owned.

September 22, 2019, 06:39 AM
Badhammer
If you don’t already own a 1911 I’d suggest a standard Government model from what ever manufacturer and at what ever price range that fits your wallet.

When I say, “standard Government model” I’m referring more to a full size, 5” barrel in .45 ACP rather than parkerized, etc., though there’s nothing wrong with a bare bones milsurp either.

For myself at this later stage in my life if I could only keep just one it would most likely be my Star PD.
September 22, 2019, 10:45 AM
ercarr
My Caspian 4.25" .45acp, I built for myself. Kart hard fit barrel,EGW ambi safty, Cylinder & Slide fire control and Wilson Bullet Proof for most of the rest. It is accurate and reliable.
September 22, 2019, 11:25 AM
spunk639
Sig Tac-ops 4" flawless.
September 22, 2019, 11:29 AM
Ogie
quote:
quote:

I was literally decided on the Wiley Clapp when I was watching some review on it and saw that all the reviewers had a grip safety that sounded like a bag of bolts when you shake the gun, lots of slop. I dont recall that on the Sig, Springfield or Ruger 1911's ive owned.

I don't understand. You mean you hold it by the barrel and shake it to see if it makes noise? Aren't you holding the wrong end when you do that? I guess I'll have to go upstairs and see if mine does that. I've never noticed it making that noise when I am shooting it. It is quite accurate too.
September 22, 2019, 11:30 AM
TheFrontRange
Those are all some good choices. If ‘twas me, I’d select the Valor.

DW (sadly) discontinued the Valor line recently, and they were a real contender for all-around great-value 1911. Not to knock the Heritage - looks like a solid pistol, it’s just that (to me) the Valor had more going for it.

I want to embrace the Colt WC as it also hits a LOT of strong notes with me (good sights, blue finish, single thumb safety, no FCS, and the like); however, I can attest to that rattling grip safety comment made earlier. I had a WC stainless Commander for a while. Really good 1911, but that GS rattled like the proverbial castanet. It’s not that it couldn’t be fixed but, as also noted, I’ve had no other 1911s that did that. To be sure, the gun functioned just fine - the rattle just bugged me.

quote:

Colt-Wiley Clapp-340.00
Dan Wesson Valor-440.00

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza
September 22, 2019, 12:27 PM
jimmy123x
quote:
quote:

I think you'd do fine with any of the 3......I'd go back to the store, handle all 3 and really look at them and how they feel when racking the slide, the trigger, sights etc......and see if one just jumps out at you. If none of them do, you could always wait and see what pops up in the next few weeks.
October 02, 2019, 12:36 AM
VMAN
I’ve had several 1911’s and I really like my Colt National Match Gold Cup for the money.

October 02, 2019, 01:33 AM
divil
My Colt WWI repro.
October 02, 2019, 01:04 PM
Tarheelfan84
If I could only own one, it would be my Hillsdale built Les Baer SRP. If you are thinking Colt, I would take a hard look at the Wiley Clapp series.
October 02, 2019, 01:08 PM
Mr.9mm
Of those you narrowed it down to, I'd get the Valor.
October 04, 2019, 07:16 PM
DLC762
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Wilson combat.

^^^^^^
This for me too!

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded
October 05, 2019, 09:31 PM
m58
Several years ago I decided to buy my 1st 1911 style pistol. I only wanted to own one 1911 and after a lot of research I picked up a lightly used Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special. It has been everything that one could wish for in a 1911 pistol.
The only change to this pistol was to swap out the slim style grips with a full size grip. I found that it was a better grip size for me.

Front sight...Front sight...Front sight...Only Hits Count.
NRA Life Member
Frank John Boy -Police Lingo
October 06, 2019, 02:58 AM
Plasteek
Springfield TRP Operator.