SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    If you were only going to own one 1911?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you were only going to own one 1911? Login/Join 
With bad intent
posted
Tying to fill a gap. I had initially bought a milspec Springfield but started thinking, if Im only going to own one should it be a Colt? Then I started looking at Colt and thought a Delta Elite would be nice but came back to my original theory, if Im only going to have one, should it be a .45?

Purely a range gun for me. I looked hard at Dan Wesson as they seem to be the best value in "nice" 1911's but didn't really want to drop the coin on somethng that would never see any serious use which is why I initially bought the 450.00 Springfield.

Thoughts and opinions?

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
for range or carry ,I can't fault either the Ruger or the Springfield line.
I have had both brands and no complaints.

now if you wanted to include bling factor and
precision, then I'd be looking in to
offerings at at least twice the price line.

my preference of those you stated would be the .45 acp

of the 8 or 9 people that fired the springfield professional, only three did not like it.

have you fired a 1911 to confirm that you would like one?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I struggled with this when I built the %80 1911 I did. Purely a project gun to learn & range gun.

I settled on 45 vs 9mm. I felt like if I was only going to have one 1911. It deserved to be in 45.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
I had a Springfield Officer Loaded (I think it was called.). Really excellent gun but at the time me and 1911’s didn’t jibe.

Now,though, I’ve really got a hankerin’ For another. And if I were to look it’d probably be the Dan Wesson. They just don’t have all the « tactical » stuff currently popular, rather a clean 1911 look. Plus, all reviews seem to place them as ultra-reliable.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would definitely go nicer than a milspec if I could only have one. Colt, Dan Wesson, and nicer Springfields would all be suitable. I wouldn't even limit myself to .45 anymore (the horror!). I would want it to be a government and I would stay away from light rails and aluminum frames. Capture more of the essence of what the gun is.

Lots of help here, I know.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would be the one I have right now; a Colt government in .38 super auto. Over the course of the last 7 years I've lightly modded it to my taste. But one thing I don't do is baby it. Last it was cleaned was 12/17, just oil and ammo now.

Posts: 51 | Registered: August 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
I would definitely go nicer than a milspec if I could only have one. Colt, Dan Wesson, and nicer Springfields would all be suitable. I wouldn't even limit myself to .45 anymore (the horror!). I would want it to be a government and I would stay away from light rails and aluminum frames. Capture more of the essence of what the gun is.

Lots of help here, I know.

Pretty much what I decided. Although I was focusing on Colt, not because I believe theyre superior, really just for the name sake.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
for range or carry ,I can't fault either the Ruger or the Springfield line.
I have had both brands and no complaints.

now if you wanted to include bling factor and
precision, then I'd be looking in to
offerings at at least twice the price line.

my preference of those you stated would be the .45 acp

of the 8 or 9 people that fired the springfield professional, only three did not like it.

have you fired a 1911 to confirm that you would like one?

Oh yeah, Ive probably owned 15 or so over the years. They just never stuck around for one reason or another. Ive thinned out my handguns immensely over the last 10 years so now im just grabbing a few "you have to own at least one" type guns as my boys are starting to shoot more I want them to be familiar with and try out as many operating systems as possible.

posted Hide Post
I went down this road about 3 years ago, I wanted one 1911 and didn’t have the budget to get a Wilson or a nighthawk so I “settled” for a Dan Wesson valor.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Ed Brown Kobra Carry

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
If you’re staying under $1k, I’d get a Ruger or Springfield. I do not see any value in a Colt over those two. If you want the Colt name, so be it, but I personally don’t associate the Colt name with 1911’s.

There is no collector value to these guns, so who cares about the name?

As for 9 vs 45, I’d go .45, but if you go 9 you won’t be sad. 9mm 1911’s shoot insanely smooth.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Heres where im at in order of preference, coincidentally, price goes up as you go down the list:

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
I went down this road about 3 years ago, I wanted one 1911 and didn’t have the budget to get a Wilson or a nighthawk so I “settled” for a Dan Wesson valor.

I just don't know if I see the value in going DW for my intended purposes.

posted Hide Post
I see you sort of have 2 different things going on here. 1, you want a range gun. 2, you don't see the value on buying something really nice. I'll have 5 1911's right now and have several others I've sold over the years. A few I've sold were combat commanders, as I've found I much prefer the 1911 in a government model (5" barrel). I have a Wilson Combat .45, Ed Brown .45, S+W .45, a original Colt series 70 gov't in 9mm (mark IV) and a Colt Competition S/S 9mm. The S+W, just doesn't call my name and I haven't shot it in over 5 years, even though it has nice sights and trigger, S+W did a trigger job on it.....it just doesn't feel right when I shoot it.

For a range gun, I'd rule out 10 mm, just for the ammo costs and availability of purchasing ammo. That being said, for a range gun, 9mm government 1911's are a REALLY NICE shooting gun and ammo is half the price of .45. I really love the 1911's in 9mm, and they have enough recoil to be fun at the range, but not enough that 300 rounds through one in a range session is tiring, and the ammo doesn't break the bank. I love my .45's too, but generally I bring 4 pistols (or 3 pistols 1 carbine to the range). I'll generally shoot 200-300 rounds through a 9mm 1911 and only 50-100 rounds of .45 through a .45 1911. Also bring a .22 LR, and ususally a different type of 9mm.

For a range 1911, the most important thing to me besides reliability are the sights and this is where a mil spec gun is REALLY lacking. A nice trigger is second, and then the rest of the "bells and whistles" such as checkering, main spring housing and grips on a 1911 don't mean so much.

That being said, my Ed Brown is by far my favorite, much better than even my WC. There is a difference in the way it shoots in a high end gun, they just really recoil so nice and smoothly, and the triggers are top notch. Even though my WC has an incredible trigger, slightly better than the Brown I just love the brown.

My second favorite is the Colt S/S competition 9mm I bought a few years back (they also come in .45, and blued or Stainless). I ordered this pistol sight unseen when they first came out in Stainless and my serial number is 3XX. I was incredibly impressed with the pistol. The slide to frame fit and the barrel bushing fit is incredibly right, and cosmetically it rivals my Brown and WC. The trigger has a great feel, no take up and really clean break, but is a little heavy.....I'd guess about 5 lbs. The grip safety has a little side to side movement, and trigger has a little up and down movement in the frame are the only things I could find with it. It has terrific sights, G10 grips, is accurate and a great shooter. THIS is what I'd recommend for your price range and use. DW makes a very nice gun too, and a lot of members rave about them here...….My suggestion is buy something that will last you, right off the bat that you don't have to modify (sights/trigger) to make you happy in the long run.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
If I was to own only one....It would HAVE to be a Colt. Yes in .45 acp.

UNLESS...it was a Nighthawk, Ed Brown or Wilson.

Do have a current Colt in 9mm though and really like it. Reliable and accurate.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
If I was to own only one....It would HAVE to be a Colt. Yes in .45 acp.

UNLESS...it was a Nighthawk, Ed Brown or Wilson.

Do have a current Colt in 9mm though and really like it. Reliable and accurate.

You know that eventually, almost nobody has only ONE 1911...…..eheheheheehe

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I see you sort of have 2 different things going on here. 1, you want a range gun. 2, you don't see the value on buying something really nice. I'll have 5 1911's right now and have several others I've sold over the years. A few I've sold were combat commanders, as I've found I much prefer the 1911 in a government model (5" barrel). I have a Wilson Combat .45, Ed Brown .45, S+W .45, a original Colt series 70 gov't in 9mm (mark IV) and a Colt Competition S/S 9mm. The S+W, just doesn't call my name and I haven't shot it in over 5 years, even though it has nice sights and trigger, S+W did a trigger job on it.....it just doesn't feel right when I shoot it.

For a range gun, I'd rule out 10 mm, just for the ammo costs and availability of purchasing ammo. That being said, for a range gun, 9mm government 1911's are a REALLY NICE shooting gun and ammo is half the price of .45. I really love the 1911's in 9mm, and they have enough recoil to be fun at the range, but not enough that 300 rounds through one in a range session is tiring, and the ammo doesn't break the bank. I love my .45's too, but generally I bring 4 pistols (or 3 pistols 1 carbine to the range). I'll generally shoot 200-300 rounds through a 9mm 1911 and only 50-100 rounds of .45 through a .45 1911. Also bring a .22 LR, and ususally a different type of 9mm.

For a range 1911, the most important thing to me besides reliability are the sights and this is where a mil spec gun is REALLY lacking. A nice trigger is second, and then the rest of the "bells and whistles" such as checkering, main spring housing and grips on a 1911 don't mean so much.

That being said, my Ed Brown is by far my favorite, much better than even my WC. There is a difference in the way it shoots in a high end gun, they just really recoil so nice and smoothly, and the triggers are top notch. Even though my WC has an incredible trigger, slightly better than the Brown I just love the brown.

My second favorite is the Colt S/S competition 9mm I bought a few years back (they also come in .45, and blued or Stainless). I ordered this pistol sight unseen when they first came out in Stainless and my serial number is 3XX. I was incredibly impressed with the pistol. The slide to frame fit and the barrel bushing fit is incredibly right, and cosmetically it rivals my Brown and WC. The trigger has a great feel, no take up and really clean break, but is a little heavy.....I'd guess about 5 lbs. The grip safety has a little side to side movement, and trigger has a little up and down movement in the frame are the only things I could find with it. It has terrific sights, G10 grips, is accurate and a great shooter. THIS is what I'd recommend for your price range and use. DW makes a very nice gun too, and a lot of members rave about them here...….My suggestion is buy something that will last you, right off the bat that you don't have to modify (sights/trigger) to make you happy in the long run.

Price of ammo isnt of any real importance to me. Most of my "range" guns will be luck to to see a box of ammo a year. For expample, I jsut picked up a nice Beretta 92 for the same reason as the 1911. I think it has 30 rounds through it and likely wont see anymore for quite a few months.

I originally went with a milspec because it actually served the role quite well, basically to demonstrate what a 1911 is and how differs in fucntion from other guns while showing the "original" design.

In reality it sounds like I need 5 1911's.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I own 2 1911s. One is an Ed Brown. The other, my first, is a bone stock Colt Series 80 .45. It was my first and would likely be my last since in my mind if you are going to own a 1911, purely to own a 1911, then it’s gotta be a Colt in .45.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Just one 1911 for me would be for hunting, back country hiking, range and home defense. 10mm long-slide Ed Brown fill that bill.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1529 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the following 1911s:
Sig Nightmare Carry. Armscor Citadel FS. Colt LW Commander 9mm. Ruger SR1911.
Mini Reviews:
Sig Nightmare Carry: Shoots great and has since coming out of the box. It should, its a Sig and is just north of 1K.
Armscor Citadel: I bought it because it was cheap and had lots of bells and whistles. It had the common problem of locking the slide back with one round still in the magazine. And the Filipinos told me it needed a 500 round break in. On a non custom 1911? BS. I boxed it up and sent to back to Pahrump and told them it was BS. Gun came back and now has around 1500 flawless rounds through it. Accurate and reliable. Ugly too.
Colt LW Commander: Shoots great! It should, its a Colt and just south of 1K.
Ruger SR 1911: Brand new from another SF member, so unshot. Flawless finish and fit. Trigger is excellent! Minor whine: Should have night sights at its price point, which is around 750 bucks. If its anything like the other Rugers I have owned it will be choosy about the magazines it likes but otherwise perform well. And Ruger will fix it if its wrong.
Based on years of 1911 experience, its clear to me that of all available handguns currently sold, the 1911 has the widest range of guns out there, price and feature wise.
They start around 350 bucks and go north of 4K.
So... How to choose just one?
Look at the guns in your price range ( mine is 700 to 1K) and compare features and reviews. And what will you use it for? For range or "barbeque" use, a 4K 1911 may be cool. But using it for carry and having it seized might induce you to suicide. And cheaper guns may not offer the features and reliability you want.
So... The OP wants to choose one 1911 and one only.
My choice:
SR1911. Its stainless construction is easy care, durable and IMHO, looks cool. Just the right amount of features for its price point. Its essentially Series 70, if thats a concern for you. Sights are the common Novaks and easily swapped out to suit your eyesight. Lots of custom stuff out there will fit it and if it grows on you, most high end pistolsmiths can make it special. To me it splits the line between range / barbeque and carry use nicely. Is it the perfect 1911? Maybe. Maybe not. YMMV.
It hits all the right notes for me.
My experience with Springfield and Kimber is limited but they offer guns in the same price range and with similar features to the SR1911.
And my future plans will include a Dan Wesson A2, which seems to me to be the best bang for the buck north of 1K. And its just slightly north!
Oh... more 1911 confusion: Magazines. Lots to choose from. For me, MecGar or Wilson.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post