SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    FFL Transfer Nightmare
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FFL Transfer Nightmare Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Local LE won't care, either. It's a civil matter. You'd need to call a lawyer. Thankfully it sounds like the OP got it worked out before it came to that.

Posts: 8416 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad it's resolved. I've known shops that go both ways on it. I only deal with the ones who accept from individuals. I understand OP not knowing. I didn't know some places had the requirement for quite some time.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Glad it worked out and yes, checking ahead does help. I’ve talked to FFL’s that won’t even accept long guns from private sellers, which is absurd.

What is absurd is the average intelligence of individuals shipping guns. Guns coming in with no paperwork, nada, zilch. Just a gun in a box with some dude calling every 5 seconds wanting to come get his mystery gun. Guns being shipped loaded, guns being put into inadequate packaging, guns not at all like how they were described by Billy Bob. Handuns in USPS boxes, I've seen it all. FFL holders make these policies because they have been ass raped by John Q. Dingbat too many times. All can be avoided by having a relationship with your local dealer and paying him for his services to send the gun for you.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just a gun in a box with some dude calling every 5 seconds wanting to come get his mystery gun.

Damn...that’s some funny stuff!

"Once a Marine, always a Marine"

Posts: 19 | Registered: January 30, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Drives me nuts how some FFL are so secretive with their license. It’s actually public information. I just bought a pistol from a shop in Oklahoma. I had to deal with a FFL I don’t normally deal with because this was a team gun(sasp). The guy won’t give me a copy of the license. That shop looked it up and shipped it tha5 same day. Guess what, the FFL on this end got 2 weeks ago and I still don’t hav3 it.

I compare it to people selling their car but covering their license plate....then they drive it all over with the license plate out...duh!

Posts: 1343 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admit nothing. Deny everything.
Make counter-accusations.
Picture of rkentm
posted Hide Post
Always heard the reason was if the recipient turned out to not pass the background check, the FFL was stuck in that they could not send it back to the shipper/seller.

"Ladies and Gentlemen - The Fit has hit the Shan!"

Posts: 568 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beanhead:
Drives me nuts how some FFL are so secretive with their license. It’s actually public information. I just bought a pistol from a shop in Oklahoma. I had to deal with a FFL I don’t normally deal with because this was a team gun(sasp). The guy won’t give me a copy of the license. That shop looked it up and shipped it tha5 same day. Guess what, the FFL on this end got 2 weeks ago and I still don’t hav3 it.

The guy refuses to give you a copy of his license but you insist on sending it to him anyway? That's real bright....

You have no one to blame but yourself.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
You missed the part that I had to use this particular ffl because it was a team gun?

Posts: 1343 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had to deal with a FFL I don’t normally deal with because this was a team gun(sasp).

Ok...I'll bite, what is a "team gun" and what is "sasp"?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
quote:
Glad it worked out and yes, checking ahead does help. I’ve talked to FFL’s that won’t even accept long guns from private sellers, which is absurd.

What is absurd is the average intelligence of individuals shipping guns. Guns coming in with no paperwork, nada, zilch. Just a gun in a box with some dude calling every 5 seconds wanting to come get his mystery gun. Guns being shipped loaded, guns being put into inadequate packaging, guns not at all like how they were described by Billy Bob. Handuns in USPS boxes, I've seen it all. FFL holders make these policies because they have been ass raped by John Q. Dingbat too many times. All can be avoided by having a relationship with your local dealer and paying him for his services to send the gun for you.

I've been pounding the table and making this point for many years. With the exception of legal private face-to-face gun sales, neither new or experienced gun owners should begin a transaction without first having an FFL selected for the transfer and first knowing the fees charged as well as the individual FFL's policies.

Although my current and former FFL are easy to work with and have reasonable policies and fees, some of the previous FFLs, ones I had made thousands of dollars in purchases from, treated me so poorly when I requested that they handle a couple transfers for me, while charging higher transfer fees, that I quit doing business with them.

Keep in mind that FFLs, in addition to being regulated by federal, state, and local laws, are also small business owners. Whether reasonable or not, these small business owners adopt individual policies that customers should be aware of before entering into a gun deal...and the best way to do this is to establish a relationship with one or more FFLs.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
sent several to various FFLs with a copy of my DL. Never had a problem. Your club is being stupid. The legal issue is not the sender, it's the potential felonious background of the receiver hence the background check at the receiving end.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
quote:
I had to deal with a FFL I don’t normally deal with because this was a team gun(sasp).

Scholastic Action Shooting Team. It is like steel challenge but for kids. I coached the pistol and rifle side. The other is the trap, skeet, and sporting clay. The pistol is one of those we have as a team gun for kids to use.

Otherwise, I use my FfL that just hand me a copy at his renewal.

My post was basically point out that the data is on a public website that the OK ship pulled up. He cross check with FFL EZ check and he had shipped the same day.

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Beanhead:

quote:
Scholastic Action Shooting Team. It is like steel challenge but for kids. I coached the pistol and rifle side. The other is the trap, skeet, and sporting clay. The pistol is one of those we have as a team gun for kids to use.

Hey now, that is cool. I took a few minutes to visit their website and learn about them. Really nice to know that a program like this is in place...and good on ya for being involved!!!

quote:
Otherwise, I use my FfL that just hand me a copy at his renewal.

My post was basically point out that the data is on a public website that the OK ship pulled up. He cross check with FFL EZ check and he had shipped the same day.

I don't have a dog in the fight and whichever one you chose certainly doesn't confront me or require my approval...but, as an FFL you apparently hadn't used before, did you not first discuss their fees and policies before choosing them for this particular transfer?

I must be missing some important dynamic in the transfer of this particular gun. I realize that the organization is a 501 (c3) non profit, so perhaps that played into your decision, but why were you limited to using only one particular FFL for the transfer?

I do understand your point that FFL info can be verified through the EZ check site which can be publicly accessed, and over a few decades of buying and selling guns I've come across both types of FFLs; ones that willingly provide their licenses to anyone, as well as ones that will only share their license info with other licensed FFLs and government agencies.

I draw an analogy of this to my sharing my personal contact info with a buyer/ seller. I share my info with the individual(s) that require it to legally complete the transaction, but I don't want my info shared for use by the general public, some of whom might misuse or abuse having that info. Another example might be the revealing or display of gun serial numbers in printed material or online pictures. Some obviously don't mind doing this, but there are others (including myself) who choose to take reasonable precautions like obscuring the SN to prevent any possible scams or trolls from taking place...the old "ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" mindset.

Personally, I respect either of the two choices on whether an FFL shares their license info with non-licensed individuals...which is why I ask about their policies before using them for a transfer.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rkentm:
Always heard the reason was if the recipient turned out to not pass the background check, the FFL was stuck in that they could not send it back to the shipper/seller.

Well at my FFL, non-ffl transfers inbound is accepted as we don't deal with the transaction per se. Only the transfer to the local individual that must pass the NICs. The incoming is documented (and saved) then put into the bound book. The original transaction was completed between seller/buyer. No monetary investment on our part at all. When the buyer comes to get it, they pay the NIC fee and our transfer fee up front and it's on them to pass the NICs else no-go. If they don't pass I guess we keep it (never had that happen yet as NJ has the most NICs checking process in the nation so very few folks "forgot" about that old felony conviction).

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
The team guns are transferred via 4473 by the head coach of the shotgun team. I have recommend that we set up a trust but that is on the 'to do' list by the team.

The FFL volunteers as a coach and I was told to use him for the team transfer.

I am not looking for approval. I used to have an FFL. If you wanted to send a gun to me, feel free. Smile