SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Are all 226 slides the same? (Da/Sa & SAO)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are all 226 slides the same? (Da/Sa & SAO) Login/Join 
JOIN, or DIE
posted
Basic question. Are all 226 slides the same? No special difference depending on action?

Thanks

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
100% Sea-Moose
posted Hide Post
As far as I know, the dimensions are the same but the SAO and elite slides have front serrations....but maybe I'm wrong

This message has been edited. Last edited by: NerdRage80,

Posts: 301 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
forgetting the actual construction, machining and material of the slide. yes.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
Are all P226 slides the same?? Well, I believe you mean will a Slide off of a P226 SAO fit and work on a P226 DA/SA and the answer to that is yes.

Are all P226 slides the same? Well, no, there are folded slides and milled slides, slides that take short extractors and long extractors, carbon steel slides and stainless steel slides. BUT, as far as I know so far all P226 slides will fit and function on all P226 frames. There is also 357/40 P226 slides and 9mm slides.

I recently purchased a P226 RX Elite SAO and part of the reason I got it with the SAO slide was because I have a P226R DA/SA and a P226 DAK. I can swap slides on them and have an SAO with the red dot or iron sights, and visa versa, I can have a DA/SA with either a red dot or with iron sights.

The ONLY draw back from swapping slides/frames like this is that it's remotely possible to wear an alloy frame more from the very slightly different dimentions of the different slides. BUT Sig actually sells calliber x-change kits that give you a slide, in a different caliber, to use on your existing frame, which is exactly the same thing and swapping slides between 2 different complete guns.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
avoiding birthday parties
Picture of fjgiie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EmpireState:
Basic question. Are all 226 slides the same? No special difference depending on action?

Thanks
I shall try to keep this fishin' story straight but I had a heck of a time finding a P226 .357SIG Slide and a P226 stainless frame that would fit. That was what I wanted - A stainless frame with a stainless .357SIG Slide and barrel.

I owned two stainless 9mm P226s so I ordered a CPO .40S&W P226 and tried the slide on my all stainless frame. Would not slide onto the frame. The stainless frame was too large for the smaller slide. So, right now I had an all stainless 9mm 226, and a brand new CPO never fired 226 .40, but no 357SIG on a stainless frame. CDNN had some used 226s so I purchased a .357SIG P226 with a worn out black alloy frame. The Slide did fit onto my Stainless frame.

You see what I did? I purchased three pistols to get one pistol with a .357SIG barrell slide and a stainless P226 Frame. My son got the new alloy CPO frame along with the slide that went on one of the new 9mm stainless pistols. A 9mm conversion barrel was placed in a .40 slide and went onto that wornout frame from CDNN, and I have the .357SIG on a 9mm stainless frame. There were actually a couple of other of my P226s involved with trying out slide to frame fits.

All P226 Slides do not fit very many all Frames of P226s. I was only able to find one slide.

Posts: 1366 | Registered: March 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjgiie:
quote:
Originally posted by EmpireState:

Thanks
I shall try to keep this fishin' story straight but I had a heck of a time finding a P226 .357SIG Slide and a P226 stainless frame that would fit. That was what I wanted - A stainless frame with a stainless .357SIG Slide and barrel.

I owned two stainless 9mm P226s so I ordered a CPO .40S&W P226 and tried the slide on my all stainless frame. Would not slide onto the frame. The stainless frame was too large for the smaller slide. So, right now I had an all stainless 9mm 226, and a brand new CPO never fired 226 .40, but no 357SIG on a stainless frame. CDNN had some used 226s so I purchased a .357SIG P226 with a worn out black alloy frame. The Slide did fit onto my Stainless frame.

You see what I did? I purchased three pistols to get one pistol with a .357SIG barrell slide and a stainless P226 Frame. My son got the new alloy CPO frame along with the slide that went on one of the new 9mm stainless pistols. A 9mm conversion barrel was placed in a .40 slide and went onto that wornout frame from CDNN, and I have the .357SIG on a 9mm stainless frame. There were actually a couple of other of my P226s involved with trying out slide to frame fits.

All P226 Slides do not fit very many all Frames of P226s. I was only able to find one slide.

I have a P220 Stainless Match Elite (Stainless frame). Most of my P220 and P227 slides (folded carbon steel and stainless steel) go on like they were made for that frame but the stainless steel slide off of my P220 Carry SAO is tight on that all stainless frame, it goes on but it's a little bit tight. I've not fired it on that frame and I bet that it would wear in just fine.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjgiie:
I ordered a CPO .40S&W P226 and tried the slide on my all stainless frame. Would not slide onto the frame. The stainless frame was too large for the smaller slide.

I had exactly the same experience: Purchased a 357 SIG P226 ST (stainless frame) and the slides from aluminum frame guns wouldn’t go on the stainless frame.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This does not match my experience. When I got my first 226 slide machined for an RMR I moved it between numerous frames (to be sure all Al frames) without issue. Some where a bit snugger than others but they all worked.
If I had a slide that wouldn't fit I would send it to sig as there is no technical reason other than tolerance stacking in this situation.
When I have a moment I'll grab a stainless frame and test, but I haven't at the moment actually tested that.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
(to be sure all Al frames)

So, let us know how it works when you try a stainless steel frame. That’s point that I and fjgiie made. (I have switched slides on aluminum frames without any problem as well, and know others who have done it.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One thing to note is that the U1 serial numbered frames & slides do not seem to be interchangeable with later U2+ serial numbered frames & slides. I found this out when I purchased a used U1 slide and tried to put it on a U6 frame.

Sig P226R 9mm/40/357/22
Sig P226 357/40/9/22
Sig P6
Sig P228
Sig P229R DAK 357/40/9
SigPro 2340 40/357/9
SigPro 2022 40/357/9
Sig P938 9mm/22lr
Sig P227
Sig M18
Sig P365

Posts: 790 | Location: Los Angeles, CA & SLC, UT | Registered: April 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrandPotter
posted Hide Post
I do not know if this is relevant put I interchange 228 folded carbon steel slides on my 229 Elite Stainless all the time and no issues whatsoever - works perfectly.

So I don't know if fjgile & sigfreund issues are strickly limited to the 226 and not the 229.

ALL women should Conceal Carry.

Posts: 4599 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: January 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wanted to verify before posting, as I thought I've swapped them in the past.

I just pulled out a full stainless 226ST and a regular aluminum framed 226 DAK. Both have stainless steel slides.
Then pulled out a WG 226 Nickel, as you all know, folded carbon steel slide.
They all swap out and cycle with absolutely no problems, in every combination available.

Now, I'm thinking. What about the 226 X5 All Around?
Pull it out and its slide fits everything listed above. However, their shorter dust covers do not fully enclose the recoil spring.

The WG Nickel slide fits on the X5. Locks on and cycles.

Now here's where the mismatches start having problems.
The two stainless slides will slide on the X5 and stop just about 3/8-1/2" short of the battery position. They won't slide on fully allowing them to be locked on to the frame. Same results happen with the barrels removed.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes there is barrel ramp & locking block interference. I have encountered this interference also in the P220. That is the only problems of swapping slides that I have encountered. That problem is easily solved with a stone & patience.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post